SSL 4K channel dynamics. (And more in future). PCB's/kits: Available!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heh, cool. Stay tuned, after total recheck, within a week (I hope),  the PCB's will pop-up in my store.
I ordering 30 for first batch, however, if there's a lot of interest, may order 50 and it brings the price bit down..... Anyone?
:)

Finally!!!!

Nice black PCB was totally rechecked, BOM updated, and.....

You can check my store for PCB's/partial kits.

We are out of brackets, and will get them within 6-8 days from now;
can start ship the kits at 28th Sept, the pcb's are in-stock.

Support thread following soon.

Documentation:

http://ij-audio.com/downloads/4KCC_docs_v2.rar

P1060816.jpg

P1060827.jpg

The datasheet of AAZ17 is included in docs,
http://ij-audio.com/downloads/4KCC_docs_v2.rar
It is general purpose GE diode. I can drop a pair with your PCB's.
6V8 is 0.5W Zener diode.

Igor, the set of PCBs arrived today. The quality (THICKNESS) of these PCB is really amazing! Also the diodes were a nice touch, saved me the hassle of sourcing those.  :D

Now that I have the PCBs I'm curious about the engraved front panels, do you sell those separately? (on diyrecordingequipment.com you only sell them with the rest of the kit). How much are those?

Cant thank you enough!

Tomás

Addon boards: stacked with EQ part (options are : 1000 pots for 3.8 EUR or nothing commercially available).
Maybe will do the TD part standalone.
Building info - very nice, IMO:

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/4149/i-j-research-4kcc-build-guide/

Hi Folks,

I've just finished the build of two of these, but am finding the calibration process a bit confusing...at the moment both units pass audio in bypass mode, but none at all when engaged.  I can hear the relays clicking, so I'm assuming the modules are then in circuit.

All the Expansion LED and Compression LED metering are lit up (probably indicating why I can't hear audio when engaged!) and the gate and link LEDs indicate correctly.

Has anyone managed to jot down a calibration proceedure?  I'm struggling to work out what the test points correspond to on the schematic.

Cheers,

Will

Hey Will, I just got mine up and running today, so don't give up! I've been running some old drum tracks through it and really digging what the comp can do. The gate is nice too, with the automatic hysterisis.

For testing, I would take out all the following IC's and check their supply voltages:

IC100 (THAT1246):
4 -18v
7 +18v

AD536:
3 -15v
14 +15v

THAT2252:
5 -15v
8 +15v

IC101:
1 -15v
8 +15v

Igor included a handy "T_GND" hole for an easily accessible test reference.

If you're passing audio, you can calibrate the dynamics with VR2 to set the 0dB reference and VR3 to set the gate threshold. Since the comp uses a soft knee, it's easier to do the calibration using the gate.

Hi, thanks for the info.  Had a chance to get these on the bench finally!

I've tested these points and there's something pulling down the -16v leg of my power supply.

Also R120 (in the chassis ground path) has burnt out in one module!

Going to pour over the schematic, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Folks,

Ok, got one of these modules outputting the correct voltages on the pins shown above...this was the module with the burnt out R120.  One of the bypass link wires had got caught under a standoff and was shorting to ground.

However, still no audio through the unit.

Still working on getting correct voltages on the other module.....

Wish me luck!

Will

Igor, I just discovered your ssl4k channel dynamics and seriously considering it for my next project...  I also love the idea of the Tr***ient De****er add-on, but is this available yet?  and if so, what's the cost?
thx.
william.

Hi Igor,
I have the 3 original SSL pcb's. So I'm wondering if you sell the frontpanel, the pots, the switches  and the little pcb for the leds and switches separately?

regards,

Reanimatorstudio

Latest posts

Back