SSL 4K channel dynamics. (And more in future). PCB's/kits: Available!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sry if I am saking a question already answer, to finsih this build what else would I need to purchase and how much will it cost???

The PCB's are in stock. The fronts/metal works can be in stock on request soon.

Ramshackle is ressurrecting this project and Frank (frontpannels.DE) can do the entire metalwork.
I just built 2 and they are working just fine!

I am wondering if anyone at all can help with the symmetry adjustment. I don't have an audio analyser so would have to find a way to do this adjustment using a DMM or an oscilloscope.

cheers
j

jplebre said:
Ramshackle is ressurrecting this project and Frank (frontpannels.DE) can do the entire metalwork.

I am wondering if anyone at all can help with the symmetry adjustment. I don't have an audio analyser so would have to find a way to do this adjustment using a DMM or an oscilloscope.

cheers
j

I don't know anything about this circuit, but is it possible to adjust the symmetry using the same technique as the EQN? That is, using a big signal that starts to clip, and adjusting SYM until it's clipping equally on the top and the bottom using an oscilloscope?

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one tempted by this project...(though I keep flip-flopping on it, so haven't bought anything yet). My reservations have basically been that once you add up the cost of the pcb + metalwork + parts you're getting pretty close to the price where you can buy a FMR RNC500, which is a VCA based comp too, right? I don't have any experience with that unit either though, so I don't know how similar is would be in behaviour, and of course, it doesn't have a gate/expander either...

jplebre, have you put your unit through it's paces yet? What do you think of it?

Cheers,

Kaz

I have built my first of two, and its great! I haven't tried too extensively though, I still have to rack it up and calibrate it properly/accurately.

Great for percussion IMO. With the comp + expander you can really tweak the envelope of the sound.

Cant wait to get them both racked up.

My only problem is that the voltage regulator for the relays is getting awfully hot when the unit is in bypass mode. I may have chosen the wrong resistor value for the relays.

tomas, glad you remind me of that. I need to see if mine is running at the temperature it should!

About the unit, very faithfull to the 4k but a bit cleaner. I'd say somewhere between the 4k and the K/Duality.
But right now I can hear the distortion and it's putting me off.

Taliska I just spoke witha  good friend of mine that is a bit of a SSL guru and that was one of the things he recommended so that's the way I'm going to tackle it.

jplebre said:

Amazing, I thought I had missed the party on this one.  Love this style of compressor.

So the relays are for switching the bypass.  Can I use non-latching relays for this Job? 

Such as the below. 

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NEC/EE2-12NU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtSzCF3XBhmW5fVd4OVIABhNVeu1hKrICc%3d

taliska said:
jplebre said:

cheers
j

I don't know anything about this circuit, but is it possible to adjust the symmetry using the same technique as the EQN? That is, using a big signal that starts to clip, and adjusting SYM until it's clipping equally on the top and the bottom using an oscilloscope?

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one tempted by this project...(though I keep flip-flopping on it, so haven't bought anything yet). My reservations have basically been that once you add up the cost of the pcb + metalwork + parts you're getting pretty close to the price where you can buy a FMR RNC500, which is a VCA based comp too, right? I don't have any experience with that unit either though, so I don't know how similar is would be in behaviour, and of course, it doesn't have a gate/expander either...

jplebre, have you put your unit through it's paces yet? What do you think of it?

Cheers,

Kaz

I have 3 points to help you decide ( ;D ):

- Yes, perhaps the cost of PCB, parts, metalwork etc is similar to that of the FRM unit (which retails for about ~£200 I think). But this isn't a recreation of the RNC. It is a recreation of the SSL 4000 series dynamics. SSL's own 500-series dynamics unit - the 611DYN, which is also based off the 4000 series circuitry - retails for about £630....If you want to compare, I guess this should be your starting point!

- If you wait you might miss out :) Our plan is to phase out Igor's designs as our own become available.

- Most importantly: If you get a RNC, you won't have the joy of building it! :D

ramshackles said:
taliska said:
jplebre said:

cheers
j

Cheers,

Kaz

- Yes, perhaps the cost of PCB, parts, metalwork etc is similar to that of the FRM unit (which retails for about ~£200 I think). But this isn't a recreation of the RNC. It is a recreation of the SSL 4000 series dynamics. SSL's own 500-series dynamics unit - the 611DYN, which is also based off the 4000 series circuitry - retails for about £630....If you want to compare, I guess this should be your starting point!

- If you wait you might miss out :) Our plan is to phase out Igor's designs as our own become available.

Yeah, I know those things...and don't worry I'm a fan. ;)

(I've built 2 x F76, 2 x He69, and have a mixbuzz in progress all from you...)

Comp wise, I've also got 2 x 525 in progress, a pye, and a prr176.

The only thing I haven't got represented is something VCA based, hence my interest.

I guess what I was really talking about before was the range of character between various VCA compressors as that's something I don't really have a handle on...

taliska said:
ramshackles said:
taliska said:
jplebre said:

cheers
j

Cheers,

Kaz

Yeah, I know those things...and don't worry I'm a fan. ;)

(I've built 2 x F76, 2 x He69, and have a mixbuzz in progress all from you...)

Comp wise, I've also got 2 x 525 in progress, a pye, and a prr176.

The only thing I haven't got represented is something VCA based, hence my interest.

I guess what I was really talking about before was the range of character between various VCA compressors as that's something I don't really have a handle on...

I guess you'll find a lot of stuff in common. They are very fast and (IMO) agressive as they have this kind of "chopping" approach. Making them excellent on percussive elements or even stuff like guitars etc if they are very rhythmic and the guitarist is really digging into it.

I'm also finishing the PIE. What I'm missing next is vari-mu. I haven't decided which one I'm going for.

HI,

i bought a pcb set from you today via my paypal account

muffy1975

Do you have any idea if the much cheaper
AD536AJQ ( a new product )

will do the same job as the much more expensive

AD536AJDZ

and all the more expensive alternatives on this page

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/semiconductors/power-management-ics/ac-dc-converters/?searchTerm=AD536AJ&h=s&redirect-relevancy-data=636F3D3226696E3D4931384E4B6E6F776E41734D504E266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C7061727469616C26706D3D5E5B5C707B4C7D5C707B4E647D2D2C2F255C2E5D2B2426706F3D313326736E3D592673743D4D414E5F504152545F4E554D4245522677633D424F5448267573743D4144353336414A26

Thanks for any help here.

Michael

muffy1975 said:
Do you have any idea if the much cheaper
AD536AJQ ( a new product )

will do the same job as the much more expensive

AD536AJDZ

The AJQ chip only has a different package material (ceramic instead of normal plastic) but will perform exacrly the same in this application.

thanks man.

that's really kind of you to help me here.

Makes this project ALOT cheaper having a cheaper chip in this position.

Michael

DIYRE state on their site and on this forum that this can be run on 24v rails. 

How does this work?  would you cut the 16v traces and jump leads the 24v leads to R12 and R14?

Latest posts

Back