SSL 4K E mic input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if anybody's interested i could whip up a self etch for one of the preamps. And to be honest i like PPA's design the best since it offers balanced out. But we could also do the the 2 stage ssl one with impedance balanced out so we won't need the rev log pot.

so which one does everybody like the best to have a self etch pcb made.

greetings,

Thomas

the balancer for the SSL preamp

Pier Paolo

Attachments

• ssl 4000 mic preamp section balancer  out.JPG
    ssl 4000 mic preamp section balancer out.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 462
This is what I consider my first successful layout, comments welcome.
I took out what looked like a pad function to me and added a THAT 1646 output driver.
Was thinking about taking off the footprint for the 250K LOG  POT and just putting in some pads.

l_c7cc4d37e55d416e9116d7787cf9ee5e.png

I can post the the etch version if wanted.

-Casey

It's strange that our SSL E series Desk has stepped Gain switch instead of a Pot.
I think the steps are 6db's each.

picture attached

Attachments

• SSL E 4048 - stepped gain.JPG
    SSL E 4048 - stepped gain.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 303
Here is the second revision,  You'll be able to see the changes.

l_2564621f54574eee9a1b42a1a44da093.png

l_1d22f83de31547969220d24b30a25ac2.png

This has not been tested so if there is something wrong let me know and I can fix the layout.  You will have to reverse the copper side image, that has not been done.

Ah, and the 2 pin molex gives you the option to add a pot or make a switch much like the 9K board.

-Casey

Just finished my layout...
SSL E pre / Line in / LMC
with DI, pad, +48V, phase invert
separate PSU with +/-18V, +48V, +12V
It'll be my first 2 layer etch, so this beta is probably gonna take a little time to get right.
SSLPRE-COMPBETA.jpg

Hey Dustbro

Very impressive progress here - I like your inclusion of the line/DI/mic to make it very useful.

Hoping you continue this project to pcbs...

Cheers

Whoops said:
It's strange that our SSL E series Desk has stepped Gain switch instead of a Pot.
I think the steps are 6db's each.

picture attached
You don't have E preamps.

You have G preamps.

The 'E' preamps used a pot with a push/pull switch to engage phantom, and a 20dB pad switch, below the red polarity button. they were available as transformer (Jensen JE-115K-E) on the 82E01 board, or with an LM394 matched-pair transformerless input on the later 82E149 version.

The 'G' preamps had switched gain, and no push/pull for phantom, so the pad switch was sacrificed, and the range of the preamp extended downwards. the board number was 82E249 if i recall correctly.

Hot tip: On each version, if you ever rack a board up, use the polarity-reverse circuit to generate an opposing signal for a 'free' differential ('balanced') output.

Keith

Hi Keith,
We didn't know that.

The Desk Frame itself says "E series" I think, and the meters are VU and not LED meters.
We always though the desk was an E-series.

So probably they just used the E-series frame and they fitted G series modules there.

I just checked that the channel strips say  " SL611G "

The EQ section looks like the one called "Pink Knob" although in our desk there's no Pink Knobs, they're Red.
Also a bit strange.

Attachments

• SSL 4048 EQ  - VC.JPG
    SSL 4048 EQ - VC.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 155
I'm in Portugal Keith.

the console has 40 input channels + 8 stereo channels
the patchbay is on the left of the console and the producer spot with talkback on the right

Back