SSL 9K Mic Pre Thread 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mac said:
Thanks - informative post there... ;D

A lot of people get creative with the phantom power. I was just wondering if anyone had pursued other methods, and why? (specific to the 9K).....

Mac

Excuse my very short answer ;D
I have used the jlm go-between in front of mine.Looking at the schemo states the same:Simply switched +48V via two 6,8K resistors
to pins 2 and 3 on the XLRs.
Maybe I should give you another little hint:Use 1% metallfilm Rs (if you have some laying arround match them to pairs).

It is possible to switch the phantompower by ramping,but that is another story (to avoid clicks and blobs when switching in and out).Don´t think it´s a must-have.

Hope to have helped ;)

have a nice weekend,

Udo.

Heres the phantom, pad and phase schmo  I used
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as016.pdf
didnt include the hi-low switch (not required for my application)

works a treat

Pics in case you missed it,constructed on veroboard with illuminated switches.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32343.0

Hey guitarist dude,
did you ever sort your forth channel out??

I am trouble shooting mine at the moment (see the old 9k thread) and have had to set them aside (run out of diagnostic ideas).

Mac

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building the power supply from the SSL9k.  I made a self-etch pcb of the power supply from the trace in the pdf attached on the first page.  I was wondering, does the image need to be reversed before printing onto the press and peel paper.  I think so, but am not sure.

any help would be awesome!!

thanks,
Greg

Hey Folks, I have racked up 2 JLM Baby Animals and 2 SSL 9k pres in the same case.  My power supply is the JLM 5 rail.  When I first put everything in the box, it all fired up and worked perfectly.  A couple years later, I realize that the SSL's are not working anymore.  I opened up the case and the caps on the PS for the +18 rail have blown up (fuzzy stuff spread out).  I put some new caps in.  Now, I completely removed the 1st ssl from the power so that I could try eliminating the problem.  I recorded my Sennheiser md421 as a test and have uploaded it for you to check out.

http://ge.tt/93gm6k9?c

Is it possible for any of you hear what my problem is by what you hear in that clip?  I'm open to trying anything to get these little guys working again.  Thank you!!

Neil

I'm about to place my order for the ssl9k on Farnell.
Anything I should pay extra attention to?

I'm planning metal-film 1%tolerance resistors,
but I have little clue about the cap-choices. What's kind of default?

Well, I went with almost all Wima.

This was my first project, some months ago, it was in a crappy box, and I´ve just racked it.

I love how clean it looks now, maybe I just put the knob, the Led, and let it like it is

Luck with your 9k, it´ s a really nice pre.

Attachments

• 27122011647.jpg
    27122011647.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 124
Congrats on your 9k!  :) :)

What rack is that?  I like the color is it painted or bare metal?  I need a 1space for my next project...

cheers,
greg

The 2 gang 2k5 rev. log is that 20mm or 16mm?
(I guess 20mm. And what's that specification about?)

Well, the enclosure ir an old DVD case (f*ck plannded obsolescence)

The front pannel is a piece of window frame I got from an aluminium workshop near my home, 4mm thickness, hard to drill and work, but with nice finish.

@G-Sun: I used a 12 Pos Switch, I think it´s the best solution

Electolitic Capacitors, is that:
Aluminium Electrolytic http://no.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=2022+202457&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=cap&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

Answer: Yes

Rp1 and Rp2,
are those for the 48V?

I'm using JML GoBetween. Does that mean I don't need Rp1 and Rp2?

Look if in the Go between are included 2 6.81k Resistor, if not, go and buy a bunch of them and measure the resistors till you get 2 with values as closer as possible.

dirtyhanfri said:
Look if in the Go between are included 2 6.81k Resistor, if not, go and buy a bunch of them and measure the resistors till you get 2 with values as closer as possible.
Thanks! I will :)

Hi everybody,

Is the first time for me in thsi forum!  :D
I've read about this ssl 9k style preamp and I'm very interested about it.
I'm worried about something that I haven't understood:
I haven't found any wiring diagram about the three PCB connections.
I have seen different thread with different construction style: one with led indicator on the front panel and another without.
Someone can help me in this labyrinth? :D
Thanx

Mat

Hi Mat, welcome!

Im afraid that this project is not a "paint-by-numbers" one, maybe a kit like Fivefish's would be  better for a first build.

The SSL9k project is not complete, you have to add an input circuit with phantom power, pad and so on. There's also a problem with two voltages for the op-amps to solve and some difficult to get components. There are a lot of different solutions in the thread(s) but as already mentioned no paint-by-number one.

I'd recommend you to start with a kit project and learn how the different parts fits together and do a lot of reading. "The answer is out there!" ;o)

Good luck,

Anders

Back