SSL 9K Mic Pre Thread 2009

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hellooooo  ;D
    Looks like its been along time for this thread, but here goes ... I was wanting to put an SSL9K and a GSSL in a 1U case to use as a live channel insert , with some other members help in the GSSL thread I have made and tested UN-BALANCED insert cable for GSSL -  How can I connect SSL9K UN-BALANCED in and out ?
  Thanks in advance  :)

audiophreak said:
Hellooooo  ;D
    Looks like its been along time for this thread, but here goes ... I was wanting to put an SSL9K and a GSSL in a 1U case to use as a live channel insert , with some other members help in the GSSL thread I have made and tested UN-BALANCED insert cable for GSSL -  How can I connect SSL9K UN-BALANCED in and out ?
  Thanks in advance  :)

SSL 9K un balanced output is really easy, just dont use the extra  balancing board, the output from the SSL9K is an unbalanced one

I just dont understand why do you want unbalanced input on the 9K, it's a Mic Preamp, it should be used to connect a Microphone to it's inputs, professional microphones have balanced outputs...

Ahhhhhh  , LOL  Thank you Whoops , I was over thinking this , that's exactly what I want to do , effectively bypassing the console mic pre , then sending unbalanced to GSSL then returning unbalabed  signal from GSSL to the Insert on the console  ;D 

audiophreak said:
Ahhhhhh  , LOL  Thank you Whoops , I was over thinking this , that's exactly what I want to do , effectively bypassing the console mic pre , then sending unbalanced to GSSL then returning unbalanced  signal from GSSL to the Insert on the console  ;D

yes

Mic balanced - SSL9K input balanced - 9K output unbalanced - GSSL input unbalanced - GSSL output unbalanced - Console  insert return unbalanced

You can do it different ways if the console insert return is balanced and not unbalanced, and if the balanced Line input on the console is not an attenuation of the mic pre, in that case you would connect the GSSL Balanced output to Line input balanced on the console.
If you want to make all this simpler, in an XLR Balanced output you can Shunt Pin3 to ground (pin1)  and just use pin 2 and pin1 and then you have an unbalanced output
in case of a TRS output female Jack just use a TS male jack and the ring (signal -) will be shunted in the jack itself to sleeve (ground)

Hey there!

EDIT: Whooops, i found out i had a tiny lil' short between pins 1 and 3, mea culpa. I'm glad i didn't burn anything, now it works more less as it should.

I'm leaving the rest here for archival purpose, if anyone runs into the same kind of problems.
Well, the solution is to just check your board.

I'm in process of building my first 9k, and ran into a problem with running it.
The IC 23 gets hot (depending on the gain pot pos. very hot (up to untouchable) very fast, or slower).

A shallow introduction on my build:
I'm running all of +-18V, replacing the tl052 with opa2604, and the mat02 with carefully matched by hfe BC550C's. (All in all, it's just a close matched dual npn so it shouldn't be a problem as long as they're matched.) And i'm using a 2k log pot instead of rev. log, which also shouldn't pose any problems, given it's wired backwards, and labeled attentuation instead of gain (I think i accidentaly wired it not the right way, as a normal log, but it also shouldn't matter, just render gain setting impossible).

As a back end i have two switches, one for chosing bal XLR or unbal TS out, the second one responsible for activating the hipass (220nf cap in series).

Now, of things i already checked, and found inproper, or worth mentioning:
There's voltage on the gain pot. Of course it depends on pot setting, but for example (fixed position for all measurments) i got nearly 9V on gain A and slightly over 9v on gain B.

There's DC on the output -8V, what the...

Potentials on the problematic IC23 (tried swapping out different NEs, all work in the same manner):
pin 1 10V              12V pin 8
pin 2  9V              18.18 pin7
pin 3  10V        -11,5V pin6
pin 4  -18.25V  -17.6 pin5

I checked all the resistor values at least 5 times by now and cap values at least 2, and all are right (excluding small changes like 51k instead of 50k, and 4.3 instead of 4.22, just standard series values).
Oh, Ra is 28R, but i belive it doesn't matter that much.

The gain pot is also working strangely - statring on far left position up to 90% rotated (CW) pot not much happens, both with a mic and with a guitar connected (no DI, just ballanced connection of unbal source) it changes slightly the hum (it is present, just like it had a shortage, or a extreme case of ground loop) level, but not much. Right at some position aroud the 90% it goes quiet with the mike, with the guitar behaving like this: on a small part of the pot it actually amplified something. Well, extremely overdriving it, and not producing any high output level (it never does actually, no mater the gain pot position), but it was recognisable. Also, the hum level changed as i touched the strings. For the little rest of the pot scale nothing interesting happened, 'twas pretty quiet, maybe with a trace of hum.

I have absolutely no idea what might be the problem atm...
Should i check/swap the BC550s?

Resolder everything onboard?
Unplug the board from anything other and test it with no peripheral circuits? (Front end nor back end nor balancer)
It oscillates (i belive that might be the problem) equally plugged to backend, and unplugged.
I also unplugged the opa2604 to check if it's what causes the problem, but nope.
With the ic23 unplugged nothing strange happens, nothing's heating, nor the voltage on gain pot exists iirc (forgot to write it down before i started writing the post ;) ).

I haven't build the second channel yet, so i have no comparison...

Hi all,
Slightly off topic question here but hopefully someone can help...

I wanted to use Keith's SSL 9k PSU on another project that needs -18v, +18v and 12v (for relays).
I was thinking I could modify this existing layout and bring the phantom power +48v down to 12v for my purposes.

Would it be a case of substituting R1 with a trimmer, or am I overly simplifying things ?

Cheers

frazzman said:
I wanted to use Keith's SSL 9k PSU on another project that needs -18v, +18v and 12v (for relays).
If we knew what 'another project' would be, we might have a clou what the power consumption of connected load might be ...
Your relays plural wording would call for more current than this voltage doubler circuit could deliver with given parts values and for the usual suspects. (Mouser alone lists 2681 different relays with a 12VDC coil).

I was thinking I could modify this existing layout and bring the phantom power +48v down to 12v for my purposes.
Would it be a case of substituting R1 with a trimmer, or am I overly simplifying things ?
Overly simplifying a lot...
With R2 being 240R, R1 would be 2064R. Don't use a trimmer when you can avoid it. A standard 2K resistor R1 for 11.7VDC out would do. With a failing trimmer (the trimmers/pots wiper or an outer pin might lose contact one day, ...) you'd have the raw DC input voltage at reg.output.
You either want to get rid of the voltage doubler in front (BR2,C3,C4) or want a river to cool it down. Depending on your kept a secret transformers secondary voltages, VA rating and connected load at the 7818, you could decide to use the 7818 as preregulator or have the 12VDC rail at its own raw DC feed. The parts value and rating of C5 question is related to this decision as well.

Hi All ,
            been a long time since anyone posted in the thread , but I'm building up an old PCB of one of these and ran out of  330pf caps - I have 220pf's WIMAs  - anyone think this would be a problem in C57 and C71  ??

Thanks in advance :)

UpDate ... I found some left over  330pf Silver Mica caps - would those be ok ??

audiophreak said:
Hi All ,
            been a long time since anyone posted in the thread , but I'm building up an old PCB of one of these and ran out of  330pf caps - I have 220pf's WIMAs  - anyone think this would be a problem in C57 and C71  ??

Thanks in advance :)

UpDate ... I found some left over  330pf Silver Mica caps - would those be ok ??

For capacitors if you don't have a specifically value go for the next one "UP" not down

Hello All,
                  Got this in a box , fired it up with an old UREI-12261 PT  , worked long enough to test voltages which all seemed good.. then a quick spark and a snap and found one side of the PT secondary cooked and went open.  :eek:    Digging around on my shelves found a proper Avel and it fit the enclosure , wired it up and all is good .. tested audio and good clean audio passes but there is this HISSSSS .. I used 1n4148 diodes to drop voltage for TL052 , perfectly matched R105&R69, R109&R73 - R72&R108, R75&R110, RR71&R107, R88&R115, R81&R117, R78&R114, had spares of all IC's and MAT12 and even bypassed balancing board output and run un-balanced and the HISSS is still there  :mad:

... even though the voltages are good , does anyone think the voltage REGs are somehow creating hash/noise ??

... any help suggestions ??

Thanks in advance - 

It's a thin back ground hiss , as if the gain were all the way up with no in put, although with gain all the way down it's not audible, and it increases with volume/ gain - audio ( my voice through a sm58 ) comes through clear and clean , and there is NO ground type Buzz or Humm of any kind.
  I did put 330pf Silver Mica caps in c57 and c71 positions as that was all I had on hand, no other parts substitutions. 

Thanks Whoops  ;D

audiophreak said:
  I did put 330pf Silver Mica caps in c57 and c71 positions as that was all I had on hand, no other parts substitutions. 

You just need a 330pf capacitor, ceramic, cog, silver mica or polysterene, anything will work the same

Can you record the hiss?
maybe do a video showing your problem

What is everyone doing for the Mat02 transistor and the pots these days? AML doesn't seem to carry the dual rev log 2k2 any longer and all the Matxx replacements are smd.

Thanks,

-Casey

https://www.mallinson-electrical.com/components/resistors/potentiometers/2k-revlog-track-16mm-variable-resistor.html

signalflow said:
What is everyone doing for the Mat02 transistor and the pots these days? AML doesn't seem to carry the dual rev log 2k2 any longer and all the Matxx replacements are smd.

Thanks,

-Casey

Pots are available from AML:
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/potentiometers_carbon_20mm_diameter_single_gang.html

For MAT02EH I use this source for many years now:

MAT02EH AD 10PCS 03+ $6.00 CAN
New and unused; 30 days quality warranty period .

Aosiwei Electronics Co.,Ltd

Tel:  +86 -27-82848366                        Fax:    +86-27-82848466
MSN: [email protected]      E-mail:[email protected]

never posted picture of my build; did this last year.
elma  gain switch and lundahl output.

Attachments

• 9k.png
    9k.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Back