SSL "Talkback" Listen Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I'm gettin busy with work right now, but I should find some time within the next few weeks to make a few stripboard versions up to test. Anyone trying this? You waiting for results Whoops? ;)

geetar_king said:
Agreed. I'm gettin busy with work right now, but I should find some time within the next few weeks to make a few stripboard versions up to test. Anyone trying this? You waiting for results Whoops? ;)

I'm don't have a lot of knowledge in electronics, I'm able to do some projects because people here in the forum are really nice and make the PCB and BOM.
Anyway I'm willing to help in everything I can, please let me know what I can do, and I will do it.

thanks

If there are still values unclear I can try to get hold of one original pcb and check.

Ridge farm used the design in one of it's boxes didn't they? Might be cool to build some!

Michael

I have this on my 500 series list, so I will try & buy this item. I need to finish the 553 EQ's first, waiting for the transformers.

Anyone know what price they go for?

Not quite sure when I will get to it, but I have been thinking about it!

Peter

peterc said:
I have this on my 500 series list ...

me too ;D
but go for it, there are enough other things to do for me right now ;)

(but I would like to see a Wet / Dry control, gain reduction meter and stereo link option (Pin6) please)

and we should start another topic about the GDIY500 alliance ;D

Thanks stitch-o, I've been watching that. I talked to the seller about ending it early or doing buy it now but no luck. Guess we'll have to wait...

I'm going to try to buy that card so I can test the original Sowters on the talkback with some newer transformers I'll get for this project.

The layout is simple and I think all my questions are pretty much answered, I'm ordering my parts and I should have a few together soon. I'll post my finalized schematic and traffo choice when I have 'er together.

Please, for the sake of this project no one else bid on that card!  ;)  It would be great for testing.  I'm also talking to Sowter right now about the original transformer specs.

Okay, auction still running. Ends this afternoon. Hopefully i can pick it up cheap, we'll see.  It's not completely necessary since we have all the details now, but I'd like get it just to be able to maybe A/B the original and take a peek at some of the components.

I talked to Sowter:::    Original transformer in the SSL Talkback card is Type 3811f. Sowter says they still have the design on file and can build replacements for around $50USD plus shipping.  I'm going to get a data sheet for the transformer from Sowter as well.

thanks matthias, yes i agree with your comment. I'm more interested in the specs than in the original transformer but I thought I'd post the info to keep everything talkback related in this thread.

I got the card, it ended yesterday. paid about 100 with shipping which is more than i wanted to, but hell why not i thought. it should be here in a week or so.  i'm going to build a board in the meantime and see what happens

Very cool dude,

I really liked the plug in, and would love to have a hardware compressor that's that trashy and loud.  Thanks for spearheading this.

geetar_king said:
I got the card, it ended yesterday. paid about 100 with shipping which is more than i wanted to, but hell why not i thought. it should be here in a week or so.  i'm going to build a board in the meantime and see what happens

That's pretty cool, I would like to buy one also, maybe that way I could help a bit more this project.
Going to check ebay

How are you going to build the board?

i was going to test it out with a stripboard version before etching a pcb.

can anyone recommend a good 4:1 mic/line transformer that i could pick up in north america?

Cinemag or Jensen would be the only places I could think of right off the top of my head. If you dont mind waiting for it, Joe Malone has the JLM1:4 which I think is pretty nice(and worth the wait). Joe's pretty quick about shipping but it would be coming from Australia.

Latest posts

Back