Studer 169 direct out

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishagolin

032E9206-3951-48FE-96B0-32A2BB723402.jpeg032E9206-3951-48FE-96B0-32A2BB723402.jpegI’m trying to install direct outs onto this Studer 169. However, I can’t figure out what the barrel connectors that go on these posts are called.

The plan is to pull a post fader direct out to a db25 terminal in the back.

Thank you. measured the terminal with calipers (0.058in) and then ordered some bullet connectors from digikey. Got them wired up on the posts and to a db25 connector for direct outs. just checked them and they all work great. Now i can use the inserts on each channel while sending post fader direct out to the tape machine or DAW.

Hello mishagolin,

You can't do that.
It will not work in a reliable way.
The level on the fader ( unbalanced ) will be too low to drive your DAW input at correct levels, the S/N ratio will be low, with no headroom, and hum can show its neck, because of the unbalanced signal.
You need to insert a buffer for a low impedance output, and also to add some gain, too.
Just my experience.

Best,
Guy

Thanks Guy, but I have my converters set to -10db so they are prepared for the post fader signal levels. The signal run is only 5 feet which is not long enough to result in low passing the unbalanced line. Also, my tape machine is -10db inputs as well so the post-fader levels are appropriate here as well.

Also, people have been doing it this way for over 40 years with this particular mixer with seemingly fine results. Is it theoretically the best system? No, but it functions well enough.

Hey Misha,

Just FYI we do have a decent number of Studer console replacement and service parts here (full desks and modules too). Stuff for the tube based 69 series (late 50's), 089/189, 169, up to the 900 series analog desks (mid 80's). Nothing newer than that - we do not do digital.

-Tony

Hey Misha,

Just FYI we do have a decent number of Studer console replacement and service parts here (full desks and modules too). Stuff for the tube based 69 series (late 50's), 089/189, 169, up to the 900 series analog desks (mid 80's). Nothing newer than that - we do not do digital.

-Tony
Awesome. You wouldn’t happen to have any stereo line modules for the 169 would you? I’d like to mix 8 tracks and use the two stereo lines as returns for the fx sends.

It looks like as far as full modules so far I have a talkback, and what looks like a master out - it has high level in and a limiter. There is more upstairs, this was just in a random box down here I happened to open today.

Back