Soundcraft 200B Post Fader Direct out from Insert.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FS nuke

The title is relatively self-explanatory.
I want to grab the direct out post fader from the Insert Point.
Can anyone please point out in the schematic where is the best place to grab it?
My very basic knowledge would grab it from the last cap C29, but I ran into a self-oscillation.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.32.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 13.32.52.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 7
Have you tried a series resistance? The op amp might be unhappy driving capacitive loads.
I am quite sure this is the reason why I only had noises from going right after C29. Do you mean that the place where to gram the signal is right but I should install a series of resistance to reduce the opamp effort?

Have considered taking it from the insert point but shorting the tip and sleeve so the signal still passes through the channel.
I tried all of this with no result.https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72700
The direct output is still pre fader.
On the other side, if I stick a balance cable fully in the signal does not brake. Is looks like someone already shorted the Insert to "pseudo balanced" from the input board.

I tried all of this with no result.https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72700
The direct output is still pre fader.
On the other side, if I stick a balance cable fully in the signal does not brake. Is looks like someone already shorted the Insert to "pseudo balanced" from the input board.
Maybe return the console to factory spec.

I am not a fan of modifying other engineers designs, but in general you would want to grab a send from a low impedance node like an op amp output.

And then use a series build out resistor (100 ohms?). I would also be tempted to use a similar resistor in the - audio send.

Just grabbing audio like this may not be optimal.

JR

I am not a fan of modifying other engineers designs, but in general you would want to grab a send from a low impedance node like an op amp output.

And then use a series build out resistor (100 ohms?). I would also be tempted to use a similar resistor in the - audio send.

Just grabbing audio like this may not be optimal.

JR
Alright, I see I will run into more trouble than just leaving everything as it is. I am lucky enough that I have the EQ in the direct out and I can print the sound I want. Thank you!

I still have a 400b parked in my garage... My First console!
At the beginning i used group outs and LR assignement to record ... Then tried with insert send but as you know , no post fader ...
So Wired fader pins to unbalanced jack connector... Don t know if It was a good way to do that, also used balanced ones shorting ring to gnd with 85/100 ohm resistor if i remember well
It was more than 20 years ago!

Best

Alright, I see I will run into more trouble than just leaving everything as it is. I am lucky enough that I have the EQ in the direct out and I can print the sound I want. Thank you!
You can just take a feed from the main Aux bus line on each channel card using a feed resistor same as the current Aux sends - they use a 7K5 and this is pre/post fader and pre/post EQ switchable already. Both feeds come direct from an op-amp output via a 47uFcapacitor so using the centre pole of the pre/post switch gives you an easy source with no mods.

Should I leave R38 in place or remove it?
You don’t need to go anywhere near R38, forget the insert send/return part, don’t mod anything as you don’t need to - you’re only looking for direct outs (I presume for recording) so the Aux bus as I mentioned above gives you an easy feed - I’d leave the insert section alone, make up a jack panel and wire from the top of each Aux bus on each card via a resistor to the jack panel with shielded cable - you just need to find an adjacent signal ground to your takeoff point for the cable ground. This gives you a direct out with or without EQ and with or without fader. Best of all worlds.

Latest posts

Back