Suggestions needed for software, interface etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
I am lucky in that I have a test oscillator than go go up to 40KHz. So far I have used this with a current generation Focusrite 2i2 and also a cheapo Behringer UMC202HD. So far I have not been able to get either of them to convert a 40KHz sine wave at any  sample

For anything beyond around 20KHz I use an oscillator too.  I have a 417C by...  Kikusui?  Japanese manufacture anyway.  It provides a levelled output up to 520KHz. So, for transformer overshoot or looking at loop gain for setting Miller compensation or some such, I use that with a Tektronix 'scope.    I need to get another HP RMS meter instead of using the scope, much easier to deal with,
I love those things, used to have 3 or 4 but they're pricey over here in Blighty.   

P.S.  With my cheapo M-Audio converter I don't get anywhere near being able to convert your 40KHz sine wave test @ 4X sample rate either.  I do wonder if it'd fair better with an interface that lacked superfluous mic amp circuitry in the path. 

abbey road d enfer said:
REW. The 62k BW is actually almost exclusively in the A/D. The D/A is flat up to about 90kHz, where it starts to show some ripple (maybe some kind of beating with the clock).

That is very good news because that is exactly what I use. I am placing my order now.

Did you use the specific ASIO drivers?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The other thing I like about it is the line input will take levels up to +20dBu.

Cheers

Ian
This I haven't verified. It's not very important for me since I have a 0/-20/-40 dB switchable attenuator in my interface box.
However, what I couldn't verify is the output level, which is supposed to be +12dBu.
Using REW, that allows a max output level of -3dBfs, I get an output of a little less than +7dBu, so at 100% fs, the output would be a tad under +10.
I'll need to increase the gain in my interface box to reach +20 dBu.

ruffrecords said:
The other thing I like about it is the line input will take levels up to +20dBu.
Using REW, with the gain set at minimum, 0dBfs happens with +13dBu at the line input. The input stage can probably handle +20 but the converter will be long overflown by then.

abbey road d enfer said:
Using REW, with the gain set at minimum, 0dBfs happens with +13dBu at the line input. The input stage can probably handle +20 but the converter will be long overflown by then.

Looks like I will still need my combined 600 ohms load & 20dB pad.

Cheers

ian

abbey road d enfer said:
That's right.
However I must say it doesn't work so good with audiotester and RMAA.

Hi. It's a good few years since I used any audio test kit seriously - AP Sys 2 / Prism / Neutrik A2 - so please bear with my ignorance :eek:
But what do you mean by not working so good with certain software products ? Is it a driver thing ?

Cheers.

Newmarket said:
But what do you mean by not working so good with certain software products ? Is it a driver thing ?
RMAA is not capable of using the ASIO driver, so measurements at 192k are not possible.
Audiotester works with the ASIO driver and gives good results, after a lot of tweaking, that it looses when quitting.  :(

Back