Summing and mix buss.. question on topology and design.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> the last thing you want on a VE bus is a big cap to ground!

It is often done. Even if in normal use you have enough mix resistors to be stable, it is nice to be able to bench-test the mixamp alone without jury-rigging an input termination. And this looks like a ribbon-cable board: when the ribbon connector falls off, it is nice if the mixamp will sit quietly instead of running off to MHz screams. Also a half-meter ribbon is very good at picking up 1 meter radio waves: if terminated in something like cable impedance (about 100Ω for most cable) then most radio signals give at most a few milliVolts, but if left open all that power rings-up to a high voltage that pushes the mixamp faster than it can fight back. The 100Ω+0.03uFd means that the bus WILL be loaded in 100Ω above 50KHz, so any ribbon-length and radio-wave that fits inside a building will be terminated.

Below 50KHz it is predominantly a high-NFB virtual-earth system. Bus impedance in the audio band is an Ohm or less. For a small number of high impedance mix resistors, above 50KHz it transitions to a loaded passive mixer. Worse-case, switching mix resistors in or out will cause ~1dB gain change above 50KHz for other inputs. Actually with this amp and a large number of 1K5 mix resistors, it will work virtual-earth with <0.1dB gain-change way past 100KHz.

> My way would be to use a 'middle of the road' value of bus resistor, say 6K8

I remember mixing on 3Meg resistors. 270K makes a lot of sense for expensive high-volt channel amps like 12AX7 (see all the Altec and Bogen low-price tube mixers). Gately used both 100K and 10K in various products. With six 100K inputs into a 301 chip, thermal and chip noise are similar, going lower-Z would not be a big improvement. But the noise-voltage equation promises lower resistor thermal noise voltage at lower impedance. This is bogus: what matters is POWER, not voltage. We were short-sighted because we were living in a +/-18V world. Anyhow, given a low-volt world, you get more power with lower impedance. ASSuming you can find an amp with very low noise voltage, and channels to drive low mix resistors, things get better though slowly.

1K5 seems like an extreme. Say one channel swings +15V into 1K5, we have 10mA current. The channel chip is likely a 5532. To make 10mA it has to go class AB. It has to take 10mA from the + rail. It always takes 3mA for idle current. So as it swings from 0V to +15V, it takes 3mA, 3mA, 3mA, 5mA, 7mA, 9mA.... the rail current is NOT proportional to signal current, it is signal+idle, and probably some glitch from booster tricks. If the rail impedance is one Ohm we have a very distorted 3mV to 10mV version of half the signal riding on the rail. And some of this will generally couple into the boards grounding system, and thus into the + input of the mixamp (and everywhere else).

I still think the real "mushy" here is the very low gain after the mixamp. The master faders should not be worked lower than -12dB, and preferably higher so the mix amp is working at lower level than the "+4dBm" outputs. +4 is hot enough for very complex mixes on ordinary chips. We want only one stage working that hard (actually that push-pull output works each half at -2dBu to get +4dBu output). We sure do not want the mixamp working at +10dBu nominal, +26dBu peaks, then pull-back the Master fader to give +4dBu at the output jack. While we could build a very fine mixamp to cruise +26dBu peaks sweetly (990 fer example), it ain't cheap and it is not necessary.

> My way would be to...

My way would be to: setup the recorder for unbalanced -10dBV input reference level, and take signal right from the mixamp, bypassing 3 chips and the $2 master pot. Now we do need to consider noise, and the BJTs may be some help in non-Rock work. Can't fade-out the end of a track with the Master, but I do that in post, long after the mixing stage. My way is not for everybody, true.

In random PA work, of course, I always want a Master. Feedback happens. Maybe with a long-running show, I would not need it, but all my work is ad-hoc and usually chaos.

wow. there is a lot to discuss now!

thanks to everyone so far!

I don't know who or what to address first so i'll start with PRR's suggestion of testing.

All master faders and buss faders full up(0db), channel faders trimmed for proper levels=No change.

the 5532s and tl084s are now opa2604 and opa404. all 100nf ceramic disc caps(cheap) were replaced with 100nf polyester caps. all 'lytic caps were replaced with quality caps of increased value. around 100uf per channel per rail. I've been slowly adding more capacitance as time allows but I'll be adding more close-IC 100nf caps for certain now after reading the replies.

the faders are actually higher quality than you might think they are alpha 100mm rail types, not the cheapo ones you see in mackies. no, really they are. really. i swear.

the buss faders are usually used from -15db to 0db and the master is usually stuck around -15db.

this is a ribbon cable arrangement but they don't fall off. in fact they use the 3m locking DIN connectors that have snapping levers on the ends.. a right bitch to lock them with one hand.

I'm still digesting everything that was said and will be back after more testing is done.

:guinness:

[quote author="PRR"]The mixamp feedback resistor is awful low value, 1K5. If we assume the channel mix resistors are also 1K5, resistor noise will be quite low. However channel-amp load will be 1K5 for one bus, 400Ω if the channel drives four buses (equally, without pan). A 5532 won't suck bad, but a '084 will be in great distress driving high channel levels in 400Ω.
[/quote]

Reasonable assumption - but we don't know this for a fact.

It could be that the mix resistors are of a higher value and thus the mixamp is running at a loss. It's not unheard of, presumably to get some extra headroom.

Just for once I have to disagree just a little with PRR....
Keeping it simple, adding capacitance to ground from a VE bus you are making the amplifier produce more gain at higher frequencies so that it can drive current back to the virtual earth point so that Mr Kirhchoff is not disproved. To say that it's there so that the amp will remain stable when the ribbon cable falls off is just a little far fetched :?

OK so the mix amp is now stable and reasonably RF resistant above 50KHz.... but it's also more noisy.

I think we have all agreed that the transistors are not such a great idea; why introduce potential instability for no good reason, only to compensate for it again?

probably a cut n' paste idea it seems.

this really just leads back to my original question.. why would someone use this design over anything else as it seems it has drawbacks much like any other design would.

:thumb:

Well they never did say that anything was "special" about the console except for it being "low noise"..

the schematic might not say alot about the design but the PCB design does. it has extra capacitence installed right at the power input, the ground is star, radiating to each IC from a central ground wire which goes to the bussbar.

the Tl084s all have 100nf next to them however i am adding a bit more and changing all the crap ceramic discs( bad tempco for these cheapies).

I obtained an extra PSU and am in the process of upgrading all the filtering an adding a great deal of capacitence as well as getting good capacitors in there.

i'm still tempted to tear those mixbuss/summing areas out and put some good resistors and a discrete opamps in there..

pretty soon this console won't have a shred of original design in it!

ok an update. just installed a great deal of capacitance to one of the buss channels. seems i greatly over estimated the actual amount of capacitance on the Buss PCBs. I swear i remember seeing much more than there really was, but this only goes to prove that memory can be misleading and that investigation is key.

I added around 500uf per rail with 100nf at each IC per rail, then added as PRR suggested, at least 10uf withing two inches (actually 47uf since i don't have anything less handy) and 470ufs per rail at the input to the card plus 100nf polypropylenes also at the power inputs.

so far i do believe there might be a slight improvement. I will have to get a second pair of ears on this and then do the master channels the same way.

I think PRR hit the nail on the head.

:guinness:

EDIT: UPDATE 2:

added around 500uf to each rail on the master channel, 100nf per rail per IC and around 100uf within 2 inches of all ICs.

a second set of ears that didn't know what i was doing listened and swears to hear a difference however slight.

It appears that PRR is indeed all knowing. :green:

the next issue that came up by a mistake of mine is Fuse resistors.

i was in a hurry and left a solder blob on the + rail to ground. this caused the fuse resistor for that rail to die. of course the resistor *looked* good and i chased my tail like an idiot until i finally ohmed it out and realized it was bad. however I see one thing that bothers me. to the input of the PCB i get +-18v, after the 5 ohm fuse resistor i get +-15v. i know the ICs can take much more than this. would it be wise to install PTCs instead of fuse resistors so that i'm not dropping voltage across 5 ohms and raise the rails back to +-18? Yeah i know that's only around 6db but in a setup as such won't that make a difference?

> i get +-18v, after the 5 ohm fuse resistor i get +-15v

18V-15V= 3V. 3V/5Ω= 0.6 Amps. Figuring 6mA per chip, that's 100 chips... is this resistor really feeding that much?

> only around 6db

Not even 2dB. Figuring a 3V loss in the chip: 18V makes 15V peak, 15V makes 12V peak. 12V/15V= 0.8= -1.9dB.

schooled again. I see the error in my math now.

the channel has about 10 opamps, some of them tl0xx parts and about 4 main audio path ICs are now 1 opa404, and 6 opa627s.

so I look again.

ok I measured again and realized one mistake, i was measuring only the master channel being powered up while i was troubleshooting not the whole unit. With the whole unit powered the rail voltage is a little over +-17 and is quoted as being +-17vdc in the literature and on the schematic but drops to around +-15.5v after the fuse resistors under full load. I do see the rails still moving around too much, i'll be adding capacitance to the PSU as i see only 470Uf per rail in the PSU itself.

today is just not a good day for me. i think i'll go home now and rest.
:oops:

Svart, does this board have a regulated supply, or are the indivual strips regulated in any way? Just curious, because it seems to me that a 5 ohm resistor direct on the power rail is going to make the rail voltage fairly sensitive to current draw, and in a class AB design, that's going to be pretty variable. Maybe that's why there's so much capacitance involved...

Would adding a pair of regulators mounted on a card to each strip be possible...or beneficial?

Cheers,

Kris

Hey, the cards are not regulated. the rails come in, go through the fuse resistors and across some caps and then on to the parts.

I think that PRR alluded to this, but get a mix up on this thing and hang a scope across the master fader (i.e. the output of the mix amp).

My guess is that when you have a lot of channels up, you're blowing the mix amp away. Climbing fader syndrome rears its ugly head once again.

Many boards with high channel counts run the mix amp at 6dB loss. You haven't told us how many channels there are, or what (circuit wise) is between the channel fader and the mix bus. How about posting that.

The 2 reasons for running the mix amp at a loss are:

lower levels at the mix amp output; more headroom. Important here.

improves the GBW situation for the mix amp. Think about it: the mix amp runs at a bunch of gain (although the gain for one signal is whatever the ratio between the mix resistor and the feedback R) because of the high noise gain. This also puts severe GBW limitations on the opamp (with large numbers of channels, you're running out of gain at HF). So, you really need a pretty spiffy part here.

For smaller mixers, it's less of an issue, but for 24-channels and up, it's definitely an issue.

Remember that the API boards had a mix amp that could do +27dBu thanks to Mr. Output Transformer. Now that's headroom!

24 channels, that's about 30 dB - really not a gain where a good IC goes mad. And remember that there is a discrete frontend, so even more o/l gain and GBW.

Svart, can't you post the whole schematic? It would remove quite a lot of guessing.

Samuel

Samuel,

I can post more of the schematic, which parts would you like? the page i posted before is the whole audio chain of the master channel. I can post the audio paths of the buss channels and mono channels if you want.

this console is 24 channels in case anyone was wondering.

:thumb:

Post away. Post the entire channel if you can, otherwise post from the channel fader towards the bus. Their equalizer is also of interest (not because it's anything special, just because it's an equalizer).

Back to the original topic, what if I summed up the channels into a transformer like it is shown in the schematic
mixer.JPG

This is both on and off topic....

If I were to build a mixing desk again (NOT!), I would break the busing down to smaller chunks.

Example..a 32 channel desk. I would break it down into four sub-sections of eight channels apiece, then "sum the summers" for the final output result.

This means a given mix bus is physically shorter, plus you should gain (no pun intended) a slightly lower noise floor. Instead of the mix amp running with a noise gain determined by 32 R's onto the bus, each sub-summer will be running with only 8 mix buildouts Rs. Textbook calcs say each sub-summer should be 12 dB quieter than a full-blown 32 channel summer, yet when you combine the four sub-summers in this example, the summing of the random noise should be lower than that with all 32 channels into one summer.

This tweak would be even more useful with larger mix buses. But, the biggest advantage would be a 12" (assuming 8 modules at 1.5" width) long mix bus path vs. something that was many feet in length...a nice RF antenna!

I am also thinking of the 2 mix (or aux sends) path...when you can't assume only a few channels will be assigned at one time..unlike a 24 track bus. In the latter case, the topology can be modified to "disconnect" unused channels/buildout R's when not required.

Bri

Latest posts

Back