TC Electronic Gold chanel AD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gesse

Hi,
Any user still who have gold chanel in use?

Ppl are saying TC Finalizer has decent ad conversion, but how about TC gold chanel?

I never used the TC gold chanel or the Finalizer.
But just as an insight, those machines are from the early 00s.

AD and DA conversion improved tremendously in the last 23 years,
to the point that even any present day budget sound-card will have good sounding converters.

So those units might have had decent AD conversion back in the day, but 23 years later and they will "probably" be worse than any modern converter

Of course the units might be useful to you because of their features

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Hi,

Ppl are saying TC Finalizer has decent ad conversion, but how about TC gold chanel?
You did write what I have thinking, but still curious about it.

In my case, just need few features what gold chanel and finalizer have. AD would be just extra and gold chanel is a bit cheaper.

I worked at a small TV production company, with a very basic setup mixing on O2R into a TC finalizer that was always on the master outputs.

I'm not a fan of that sound.

As the material was quite dynamic from whispering to shouting and slamming doors the Finalizer kept everything at 0dB, nothing went over no matter what, it does a perfect job at that.

But I would not buy it for it's converters, they were not bad at that time, but things have vastly improved over the years.

I worked at a small TV production company, with a very basic setup mixing on O2R into a TC finalizer that was always on the master outputs.

I'm not a fan of that sound.

As the material was quite dynamic from whispering to shouting and slamming doors the Finalizer kept everything at 0dB, nothing went over no matter what, it does a perfect job at that.

But I would not buy it for it's converters, they were not bad at that time, but things have vastly improved over the years.
Did you use finalizer de-esser ever?

Yes, I have recorded some voiceovers with that setup.

In it's functions, the thing is really good, it does what it says it will do, and it works fine as a de-esser, nothing will slip trough when setup right.

But again, it's not a unit I would buy for it's sound or converters.

But if you need the functionality, yes, the thing works, especially if you need a brick wall compressor for TV productions and live shows.
I would not put that brick wall compressor on anything musical though...

De-esser is one features why I’m looking it.
It would come use for live shows, which are mostly a different kind panel discussion.

Feels like Gold chanel vs finalizer are almost identical except small differences, but there are quite big price cap in Finland.

So far, thank you for sharing experience! :)

Using these units in a live setting, be aware that they will cause a delay. (monitor feed)
Indeed!!! I worked for awhile with a *high end" Neve Capricorn desk in a recording studio, and when I listened to the cue feed on headphones it was so "phasey" sounding to me in the cans when I listened to my own voice. IIRC the spec delay was in the few millisecond (or less?) range.

Bri

In my opinion everything happening in the time domain causes an instant mess, no matter how small the amount.

That's why I have DIY single driver "full range" speakers, reasonably close to my listening position.
Sort of feels like wearing "the perfect cans" :cool:

Indeed! For decades, I worked with Olde School analog desks, so I am totally used to the sound of my own voice via an aux send into headphones. Digi desk cue sends have always sounded weird to me.

Bri
]

In my opinion everything happening in the time domain causes an instant mess, no matter how small the amount.

That's why I have DIY single driver "full range" speakers, reasonably close to my listening position.
Sort of feels like wearing "the perfect cans" :cool:
Well, of course it depends the price will I buy it. 😎 Person like me who enjoy exploring new toys, is like new adventures😄

Well, of course it depends the price will I buy it. 😎 Person like me who enjoy exploring new toys, is like new adventures😄

Unfortunately for Live Sound those unites will probably have too much latency, and for the Studio they are surpassed by a countless of plugins that do it much better.

Hi,
[Any user still who have gold chanel in use?] -- I have both a TC Electronic "Finalizer" and a "Gold Channel" unit in a portable rack that I use when I'm doing a "LIVE" recording. And, then.....I have a total of seven (7) TC Electronic "Triple-C" multi-band compressors in my music mixing production studio audio-rack that I use when mixing down my 24-track "LIVE" recordings down to a master stereo CD. My studio is still basically an analog studio with some digital processing gear included. Both the "Finalizer" and the "Gold Channel" work well enough for me for what I use them for. I like them.

And.....one of my grandmothers had immigrated to the U.S. from Finland way back in the very early 1900's!!! She was very dear to me!!!

/

The AD/DA module for the M5000 was actually quite good. The M5000 running MD2 sounded quite a bit better than any of the Finalizers, despite TC claiming they were ‘the same’.

Latest posts

Back