the legendary tg12412

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need separate 23 and 24V rails.
I believe the 28V rail is not necessary, since it's not used directly.
Just a bipolar 24V supply is enough. You may have to adjust some resistor values, particularly those that go from the -20V rail to the bases of the transistors.
Anyway modern transistors have a different Hfe than period ones so you'll have to adjust the operating point of each stage.
Remember that monolithic regulators did not exist at the time, which tended to result in complicated designs.
What operating points would I be adjusting to? Are you referring to the dc bias of the each stage's base?

Yes. The operating point relies on -20V being applied to the 180k resistors. If a different voltage is applied, the resistor value must be adjusted.

If I wanted to balance the output of either the TG12412 or the TG12414, what's the best sounding way to do that? If I wanted to use a 1:1 output transformer to balance that signal, is the output impedance low enough from the TG circuits to make that a good idea?

If I wanted to balance the output of either the TG12412 or the TG12414, what's the best sounding way to do that?
The best way is to either measure THD and adjust for lowest or use an oscilloscope and adjust for symmetrical clipping.
If I wanted to use a 1:1 output transformer to balance that signal, is the output impedance low enough from the TG circuits to make that a good idea?
The output drive capability is OK.

If I wanted to balance the output of either the TG12412 or the TG12414, what's the best sounding way to do that? If I wanted to use a 1:1 output transformer to balance that signal, is the output impedance low enough from the TG circuits to make that a good idea?
I belive Chandler used a VTB2012 as output transformer in some of their units which I think was similare to LO2567. Primary in parallel and secondary in serie = +10dB

I belive Chandler used a VTB2012 as output transformer in some of their units which I think was similare to LO2567. Primary in parallel and secondary in serie = +10dB
Did they adjust their initial gain down 10db so the whole unit was unity gain? How about using a Jensen or Carnhill line output wired 600:600 or 150:150?

Latest posts

Back