The microphone capsule photo and information thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. That's great info!
you can tell my m7 from other clones because mine is based on a really early m7 with smaller glue channels and a 26mm electrode surface. This is opposed to Thiersch, Flea and others which are based on later m7s with larger glue channels and a smaller electrode surface and look approximately like this:
3U M7 v21.png
This is because our roto jigs become unstable at too low tensions, so it's best to get the active area of the diaphragm as large as possible so that the jig tension can be higher and the older neumann berlin design facilitates that, but I like to pretend it's an appeal to vintage chic.

there's another blue one has a different plate that looks like this:

Dear Ms. S.

Could you please provide a very brief 5th Grade explanation (nothing proprietary or trade secret) why some of the back plate holes go all the way through, and some do not. Why not fewer larger, instead of more smaller holes? While I understand why they are vented - I wonder what the partially drilled holes do. THANKS loads. James

Dear Ms. S.

Could you please provide a very brief 5th Grade explanation (nothing proprietary or trade secret) why some of the back plate holes go all the way through, and some do not. Why not fewer larger, instead of more smaller holes? While I understand why they are vented - I wonder what the partially drilled holes do. THANKS loads. James
Controls the air volume behind the diaphragm and to some degree how it compresses. Keeping the general surface closer to the diaphragm keeps the sensitivity from going down from the metal being too far away.

A Chinese $6 electret capsule. I quite like these with dark blue back and a reticle(?) instead of the usual mesh. Pretty smooth. (This one seems to have a solder blob on the diaphragm, but I probably did that.)

Attachments

• 20240914_163613.jpg
    20240914_163613.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240914_163623.jpg
    20240914_163623.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
A Chinese $6 electret capsule. I quite like these with dark blue back and a reticle(?) instead of the usual mesh. Pretty smooth. (This one seems to have a solder blob on the diaphragm, but I probably did that.)
I know I've seen those before, but don't know where - do you remember where you bought it?

Latest posts

Back