The microphone capsule photo and information thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still searching the name and manufacturer of this capsule:

View attachment 133714View attachment 133715View attachment 133717View attachment 133716
*bought on ebay, Nov. 2023 for 22,99€
I love that capsule - I've got it in an AKG P220; prefer it over the stock capsule with the @kingkorg capacitor mod; this has an unhyped sound without the capacitor mod.

Great rear rejection and smooth off-axis response.
wait, has this made it over here? you guys like this capsule?

What do you mean by "...made it over here"?
i believe my team made this capsule, but i'll have to check. they offer a few domestic china models to keep the lights on. domestic chinese business is handled by my floor manager, so i'm not really involved in it.

edit:
yes, we made this

Last edited:
i believe my team made this capsule, but i'll have to check. they offer a few domestic china models to keep the lights on. domestic chinese business is handled by my floor manager, so i'm not really involved in it.

edit:
yes, we made this
Really?! - wow!

It's a hellava capsule for the money!

(wish I had someone to manage my floor)

Really?! - wow!

It's a hellava capsule for the money!
i haven't heard it! I'm not involved in domestic china oem sales. I do know domestic chinese clients can pressure us to cut more corners though. i'll take a listen to one. if i like it, maybe i'll do a batch to our normal QC standard and put it up for sale

k47v 024 is a decent unit, but the thru holes are a bit small. how do you find the sound?
I haven't heard it myself yet. Member @AndyM installed it in his beautiful EF800 U47 style microphone, I helped him from a distance and the PSU is based on a PCB of mine.

Nice project, maybe he will present it here with a separate photo thread. (y)

Last edited:
wait, has this made it over here? you guys like this capsule?
I like them a lot, for the money a very good buy. I'm currently using them in an SCT800 to ELA M251 cardioid only microphone mod. (y)

The only thing that really bothers me is that I only bought one at the time. It was an impulse purchase out of curiosity on ebay.

i haven't heard it! I'm not involved in domestic china oem sales. I do know domestic chinese clients can pressure us to cut more corners though. i'll take a listen to one. if i like it, maybe i'll do a batch to our normal QC standard and put it up for sale

Two-sided, perhaps? 😁

Hey @Tim Campbell , quick question—will the Campbell Transmitter push/pull capsule be the one used in the upcoming Astrud Tube Mic? Really curious about what’s going into this mic!

..I'm not Tim - but we are actively discussing this still: What we aim for with the Astrud is a mic that does good for vocals - and we can afford to not give a darn on its optimisazion for all other purposes. Right now my favorite is probably a CT14, a obscenely-oversized and re-tuned CK12. Tim, on the other hand, seems to lean more towards the SD push/pull..

Don't hold your breath - this is an ongoing investigation, and we absolutely do not plan to hurry into conclusions

/Jakob E.

..I'm not Tim - but we are actively discussing this still: What we aim for with the Astrud is a mic that does good for vocals - and we can afford to not give a darn on its optimisazion for all other purposes. Right now my favorite is probably a CT14, a obscenely-oversized and re-tuned CK12. Tim, on the other hand, seems to lean more towards the SD push/pull..

Don't hold your breath - this is an ongoing investigation, and we absolutely do not plan to hurry into conclusions

/Jakob E.
Looking forward to seeing where this ongoing investigation leads. It’s sure to be worth the wait!

Three questions about this microphone.

What is the adhesive tape for, what function does it have?

How would you rate the stains on the back side diaphragm? Has there been a flashover of the polarisation voltage? Looks wild...

What kind of capsule is it? Manufacturer?
The tape looks like it would cause more problems than what ever it is suppose to solve.

/Jakob E.
Did I somehow miss this Astrud mic announcement? It could also easily be I’m getting older and not remembering things anymore. Either is possible!

Is this the standard “blue” edge-terminated K67 that has been floating around for a while, or is it different?
there's another blue one has a different plate that looks like this:
Image_20240902184952.png

they're all fairly old designs, assembled by many capsule factories in china using the same parts. most notably AYM. they are all derived from 797 capsules, which themselves are based on capsules that rode and blue outsourced to china in the late 90s and early 2000s. since these parts are widely available, individual manufacturers can be difficult to distinguish. i was suspicious that this might be one of ours due to some of the assembly details and the wire material. i think the pictured one that my team made differs slightly from the "normal" AYM one you're probably thinking of because we use 6um film instead of 3um and maybe different spacers, but it's the same metal AYM uses.

Last edited:
I have one of those. What should I make of it? JHR
I like them a lot, for the money a very good buy. I'm currently using them in an SCT800 to ELA M251 cardioid only microphone mod. (y)
That's what I'm doing with it right now, it's going to be a birthday present for my best mate.

The capsule also plays very nicely with my SELA T12 inspired mic.

I'm thinking of buying two more of these capsules to make a pair of cathode follower mics for drum overhead duties.

Still nice price. (y)

Latest posts

Back