The microphone capsule photo and information thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here two electret capsules, pretty cheap but a good solution for ultra low budget mics. They are better than the low price suggests...

I named them KK12 (V1 and V2) in honor of our member @kingkorg, who discovered them for the forum. (y)

The real names are probably ME-10 and H052(?)

electret capsules.jpgelectret capsules_closer.jpgelectret capsules_side.jpgelectret capsules_back.jpg
V2 is slimer than V1. 7,8mm vs. 10,5mm, diameter is the same for both capsules ~25mm

Voice audio test done with the "psychedelic capsule" from Ali Express.
Except the fact that it's too sibilant, this capsule delivers a good sound.
I think it would be more than pleasant with a de-emphasis network...

Attachments

• Caps-Ali-3a.jpg
    Caps-Ali-3a.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Caps-Ali-3b.jpg
    Caps-Ali-3b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Does anybody know if the Studio Project B1 new version has the same 797audio capsule as the old version ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-08-06 à 21.24.28.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-08-06 à 21.24.28.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
  • B1-pict.jpg
    B1-pict.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
Nice thread!
I’ll try to contribute with an oddball SDC. Never seen it elsewhere but it has a serial number (049) so there have to be more. Maybe someone here has seen one?

Backplate diameter is around 16mm. With the diaphragm ring it’s 18mm.
There are 6 small screws in the backplate which, I would guess, can be removed to turn the Omni capsule in to a cardioid one?
It is center terminated.
The pin in the middle can be removed.
The diaphragm is glued on to the outer ring which in turn can be screwed on to the capsule. So distance to backplate can be tuned.

I have received it with a ripped diaphragm so I don’t know how it sounds. Will try to install a new one soon.
Does anyone have tips on how to glue Mylar to brass?

IMG_2780.jpegIMG_2778.jpegIMG_2779.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice thread!
I’ll try to contribute with an oddball SDC. Never seen it elsewhere but it has a serial number (049) so there have to be more. Maybe someone here has seen one?

Backplate diameter is around 16mm. With the diaphragm ring it’s 18mm.
There are 6 small screws in the backplate which, I would guess, can be removed to turn the Omni capsule in to a cardioid one?
It is center terminated.
The pin in the middle can be removed.
The diaphragm is glued on to the outer ring which in turn can be screwed on to the capsule. So distance to backplate can be tuned.

I have received it with a ripped diaphragm so I don’t know how it sounds. Will try to install a new one soon.
Does anyone have tips on how to glue Mylar to brass?

View attachment 134175View attachment 134176View attachment 134177
View attachment 134179
Regular Loctite epoxy worked great for me so far.

Thanks, but what is the regular Loctite epoxy? They have several… maybe the EA3430?
And did you use it without a primer beforehand?
This one. No primer needed. I also re-skinned the same backplate several times, several months apart for experimentation, and it was PITA to remove the mylar. I'd say it's very robust and reliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_083820_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_083820_Brave.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 0
How is epoxy thinned ? as far as I knew it comes in different viscosities , fast or slow curing etc

Here two electret capsules, pretty cheap but a good solution for ultra low budget mics. They are better than the low price suggests...

I named them KK12 (V1 and V2) in honor of our member @kingkorg, who discovered them for the forum. (y)

The real names are probably ME-10 and H052(?)

View attachment 134113View attachment 134114View attachment 134115View attachment 134116
V2 is slimer than V1. 7,8mm vs. 10,5mm, diameter is the same for both capsules ~25mm
It's amazing V2 sounds as good as it does; aside from the diaphragm (and it's spacer ring) this one piece is all that's inside! The exact same piece is found in the (not very impressive) Transound TSB-2555 (just shows how important faceplate, and diaphragm materials/tension are).

And, as I mentioned in another thread, just sealing those holes results in a very nice omni; though due to it's size one that becomes quite directional in the top octave (which in some circumstances can be quite useful).

Attachments

• DSCN1551.JPG
    DSCN1551.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1552.JPG
    DSCN1552.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pattern of DPA4041 25mm omni.png
    Pattern of DPA4041 25mm omni.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's amazing V2 sounds as good as it does; aside from the diaphragm (and it's spacer ring) this one piece is all that's inside! The exact same piece as found in the (not very impressive) Transound TSB-2555.

And, as I mentioned in another thread, just sealing those holes results in a very nice omni; though due to it's size one that becomes quite directional in the top octave.
On the other hand, it is based on the same principle as CK12, only half of it.

Oktava MKE-2
Screenshot_20240809_020234_Brave.jpg

Beesneez SDC (Can't remember the name)
Screenshot_20240809_015207_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240809_015220_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240809_015236_Gallery.jpg

DPA Core 4099
Screenshot_20240809_015749_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240809_015736_Gallery.jpg

How is epoxy thinned ? as far as I knew it comes in different viscosities , fast or slow curing etc

Often with alcohol, but I think some epoxies don't like that. Sometimes with other solvents, but Mylar may not like those.

Thinning epoxy makes it porous when it sets (and the solvent evaporates out) and less strong. It can affect long-term durability... but maybe not enough to matter in this case?

I wonder if it would be better to find an epoxy that is thin by default, maybe even an epoxy "paint" rather than an epoxy "glue."

Last edited:
Often with alcohol, but I think some epoxies don't like that. Sometimes with other solvents, but Mylar may not like those.

Thinning epoxy makes it porous when it sets, and less strong. It can affect long-term durability... but maybe not enough to matter in this case?

I wonder if it would be better to find an epoxy that is thin by default, maybe even an epoxy "paint" rather than an epoxy "glue."
Must be denatured alcohol, with absolutely NO water in it.

You can also thin epoxy by warming it, and that doesn't make it porous or weak or affect its long-term durability as much. It does quicken the setting so you need to use a slower setting epoxy than you would if you weren't warming it.

Then again, the teeny holes seen in post #104 could probably be sealed with dabs of finger nail polish, or that stuff used to hold trim pots' positions.

Back