The official G9 help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few quieston about the g9 build..

will it still work if you dont install the instrument jack to the board?
as well as the input select. Im basicically going to run this at line always so was just curious if there is an easy way to "bypass" all the extra controls so to speak that im not going to ever touch.

thanks yall

Coming back to this after a few months, and still having the same issue of channel one barely amplifying. Channel 2 works perfectly.

The issue is in the output tubes. Performing a signal trace with a sine wave I get pretty much identical results up to the grid of V2B. The output from the plate of V2B is the first place the signals differ. On the defective channel doing a signal trace the output of the V2B plate is about two clicks of the gain knob quieter. This (logically) is also true of the grid of V2A. The cathode of V2A there is an even more significant difference in volume between the channels.

I've 100x checked that the components around the tube are correct, that there is continuity where the should be, that there are no shorts. I have also tried swapping tubes, swapping output transformers, swapping control pcbs. Nothing makes a difference. Cathode voltage drops are roughly the same between channel one and two. Plate Voltages are are also the same.

I am just at a loss.

Last edited:
I've 100x checked that the components around the tube are correct, that there is continuity where the should be, that there are no shorts. I have also tried swapping tubes, swapping output transformers, swapping control pcbs. Nothing makes a difference. Cathode voltage drops are roughly the same between channel one and two. Plate Voltages are are also the same.
I would replace the V2 tube socket if everything else has been checked.

Here is my single channel version of the preamp I made a few years ago. I changed some things like the power circuit and some other things. I replaced 3 custom toroidal transformers before I found the quietest one. ECC82 Input Tube, E88CC Output Tube, Lundahl LL1538 Input Transformer, Carnhill Output Transformer. The preamp is extremely quiet and sounds great. I intended to make 2 of them, but I never finished the second one, I have many hobbies and music and electronics have already been displaced by other hobbies :)

10.JPG
5.JPG
8.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my single channel version of the preamp I made a few years ago. I changed some things like the power circuit and some other things. I replaced 3 custom toroidal transformers before I found the quietest one. ECC82 Input Tube, E88CC Output Tube, Lundahl LL1538 Input Transformer, Carnhill Output Transformer. The preamp is extremely quiet and sounds great. I intended to make 2 of them, but I never finished the second one, I have many hobbies and music and electronics have already been displaced by other hobbies :)

View attachment 135332
View attachment 135333
View attachment 135334
Beautiful work!

Wow, what a beauty! The nicest design I´ve ever seen!
Are you sure you do not want to sell it ?!?!
How did you made that front-panel? Because the wood is not just glued on, it is "in" the front -right?

Back