The Origin of Neumann's Vintage Resistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZHOUJUN

It is very common in vintage Neumann U47, U48, M49, and U67. What company makes them and what is their origin? Made by Siemens? Or AEG? I tested a few and noticed some differences with modern resistors.

Attachments

• SIEMENS 60M.jpg
    SIEMENS 60M.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • SIEMENS 400M.jpg
    SIEMENS 400M.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It is very common in vintage Neumann U47, U48, M49, and U67. What company makes them and what is their origin? Made by Siemens? Or AEG? I tested a few and noticed some differences with modern resistors.
Interesting question. This logo is not from Siemens, AEG or Beyschlag, they all look different. It would be interesting to know who produced them.

beyschlag widerstand.jpgBeyschlag Widerstand II.jpgsiemens widerstand.jpg

Attachments

• siemens widerstand.jpg
    siemens widerstand.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
It seems the company was called „Gesellschaft für Hochfrequenz und Elektromechanik mbH“ which means something like company for high frequency and electro mechanic...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/122784237069
The logo looks pretty similar, a flash and a sine wave in a circle. I think you are right! (y) How did you find them? Lets send them a Telex 😅
logo_beispiel.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to be harsh or overly critical, but I would like to say, if I may, that these impressions of differences in sound according to this, or that component, seem to me quite exaggerated.
Apart from for aesthetic reasons, I would advise against the use of very old components, sometimes poorly stored.
Technicians with measuring equipments, and ears, are trying to dispel these persistent myths.

Feel free to read : Replace resistor by low-inductance resistor - Is it audible?

Some links are included , on this web page, for capacitors ...

Also : Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

Cheers
Fred

Last edited:
I don't want to be harsh or overly critical, but I would like to say, if I may, that these impressions of differences in sound according to this, or that component, seem to me quite exaggerated.
Apart from for aesthetic reasons, I would advise against the use of very old components, sometimes poorly stored.
Technicians with measuring equipments, and ears, are trying to dispel these persistent myths.

Feel free to read : Replace resistor by low-inductance resistor - Is it audible?

Some links are included , on this web page, for capacitors ...

Also : Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

Cheers
Fred
Thank you very much for your knowledge. It has solved some doubts. I think that in circuits with relatively strong signals, various resistors of the same type will not have a great impact. However, if it is a weak signal in a closed environment with relatively large interference, the weak signal will Transmission is more susceptible to interference, and non-inductive resistors should have more advantages. In theory, in such a circuit, different resistors still have some influence. The noise and temperature drift of metal resistors are smaller than those of carbon film or carbon core resistors, but human It is not certain whether the ears can feel the difference.

What sort of differences?

What I refer to here is the difference in different raw materials. For example, in the early days, it was carbon film, but in modern times, it is almost all metal film. As for the difference in sound, I have not tested it yet because I don’t have two identical Vintage Neumann microphones. If the non-AB simultaneous recording is compared, I feel there is no point.

Thank you very much for your knowledge. It has solved some doubts. I think that in circuits with relatively strong signals, various resistors of the same type will not have a great impact. However, if it is a weak signal in a closed environment with relatively large interference, the weak signal will Transmission is more susceptible to interference, and non-inductive resistors should have more advantages. In theory, in such a circuit, different resistors still have some influence. The noise and temperature drift of metal resistors are smaller than those of carbon film or carbon core resistors, but human It is not certain whether the ears can feel the difference.
In the audio range, the differences are non audible in ABX tests, and the measures tell us the same.
In very high frequencies, it is different...
I add that I changed my mind about that, over time...
I thought i was hearing some differences, in fact there was none.

What I refer to here is the difference in different raw materials. For example, in the early days, it was carbon film, but in modern times, it is almost all metal film. As for the difference in sound, I have not tested it yet because I don’t have two identical Vintage Neumann microphones. If the non-AB simultaneous recording is compared, I feel there is no point.

So what DID you "test" then, and what "difference" have you found?

I have dismantled several resistors with inaccurate resistance values before. The materials of their cores are very different. Modern resistor cores are very hard and similar to metal. Vintage ones have black powder, white ones, and metal wires.

Attachments

• 100m.jpg
    100m.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • 150m.jpg
    150m.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 200m.jpg
    200m.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 1
I think theres a clear difference in sound between a microphone with metal film resistors and carbon film resistors. I'm not going to claim that one sounds better than the other and from a measuring point of view I guess the metal film are better. But there's a lot of discussion about "mojo" and capturing the "true sound". Try for yourself and see what you think. I recommend to stay away from carbon mass resistors in microphones.

I’ve heard mics with vintage resistors that sound incredible, I’ve heard mics with vintage resistors that sound less than incredible, exactly the same for modern metal resistors too, there is no blanket answer, I like originality, but when chasing magic you get there however you can

I’ve heard mics with vintage resistors that sound incredible, I’ve heard mics with vintage resistors that sound less than incredible, exactly the same for modern metal resistors too, there is no blanket answer, I like originality, but when chasing magic you get there however you can
I absolutely endorse trying both and seeing which you prefer, if any, I learn a lot better that way and feel more certain than reading others experiences (with non-identical tests, and even then opinions fall into account, which can differ person to person)

Apart from for aesthetic reasons, I would advise against the use of very old components,

Is the market for vintage microphones like vintage cars in that some buyers will accept a model improved with modern higher performance components, and some only want exact original vintage replacement parts so that it is correct for the time period?

There's a site that seems to have a lot of vintage parts, for anyone wanting to experiment:

https://www.electronicparts-outlet.com/en/
The carbon film resistors are from Beyschlag and ISKRA, but they still have Philips ones too. Not cheap, tho. A 0.5W resistor from ISKRA runs 2,50€ per piece, fi.

And obviously, they have tubes too...

Latest posts

Back