NWDR Neumann B-M49

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
The custom-made socket for the Hiller MSC2 can clearly be seen, as can most of the other components.
Interesting! In-78 I managed to win an auction of six km54s. After the auction the guy who lost against me offered to sell me five more with a good price. They all had custom made sockets for AC701. So I had eleven of them. Initially only one of them was working, but with my then next to no knowledge and understanding, I managed to get four of them working just swapping the tubes. It was possible because of the sockets. Unfortunately all of the mics plus gear was stolen the next year.

NWDR collaborated with MWL Maihak to make these early units. Neumann was licensed to do their version after; Großkopf gave Neumann exclusive rights to make the M49 after filing patent.

Herbert Großkopf wrote an interesting article about his development of the M49 way back at the time, that I have run across somewhere (FTZ, issue 5, 1950). There is also some really good material about this era of NWDR on some German site dedicated to NWDR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back