The real attack on Democracy.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't elect a secret committee to run the Executive branch of government. I felt the same way when Cheney was obviously calling the shots (I did not vote for W). Anyone who understands the design and function of our government knows this and should not accept what is happening. But, as usual, when you have nothing meaningful to add, ad hominem.

He did not. Your agreement with his copious opinions do not turn them into facts. But if you're fact-starved...
sounds a little ad hominum 🤔
2022 was the U.S. third year in a row being a net exporter of petroleum. Oil imports and exports - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
I saw no mention of the SPR (strategic petroleum reserve) releases
WWW said:
The President’s announcement authorized DOE to release up to 180 million barrels from the SPR to serve as a wartime bridge as domestic production—which is expected to reach a new record next year—ramps back up. This historic release of SPR crude has already provided approximately 155 million barrels of crude oil supply to the U.S. economy—resulting in certainty of supply for American consumers. Today’s announcement will bring the total to 165 million barrels out of the 180 million barrels the President authorized in March.
Being a net exporter while drawing down our strategic reserves does not sound very strategic.... but it does provide that policy talking point.
We just signed a trade deal with Taiwan three weeks ago with opposition from China. US, Taiwan sign trade deal over China's opposition
Taiwan security remains in question. China has studied our behavior around the world and is becoming more aggressive challenging our military in international waters (South china sea, Taiwan straits, etc).
So... the warnings about lasting alienation came true? Is anyone out there claiming international relations turn on a dime?
International relations don't turn on a dime, but they are moved by events. The disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan was noted by friends and enemies alike making us appear weaker.
Etc., etc. I know, of course, this will change the minds of no one inclined to accept "race to the bottom!" as a factual observation. *shrug*
?
JR

PS: I suspect BDS is word play about TDS but I cannot read his mind.

And yet the Biden administration drained the SPR and did, in fact, beg Saudi Arabia and Venezuela to boost output. Biden & Co totally mismanaged the Ukraine situation (like Obama) and that led to war and sanctions that have distorted markets, especially in Europe. I find it interesting that the EIA link you provided fails to include 2022 data in the trend graph despite apparently having the data. Why?

Look at the data that's there (through 2021). Exports are now flat after increasing for 16 years straight. Production is lower than in 2019. Imports are trending up after having been on a downward trend since 2017. And as anyone can tell, our economy is much weaker than it was in 2019
Besides being all over the place, you're moving the goalposts. The claim I'm refuting is that "US energy independence was wrecked". Show us how it was wrecked.

Trade deals don't mean squat when the CCP clearly wants to control/own it like Hong Kong. This is the important headline:
Headlines aren't important, facts are. Meanwhile the article is forced to admit that the "ruffled feathers" belong to Republicans in Congress - not a big shock there - and that our decades-long One China policy remains unchanged, even noting, "US also allows for its military to come to Taiwan’s defense should Beijing attempt to take Taiwan by force, something both the Trump and Biden administrations stated repeatedly as US-China tensions began heating up in 2016."

Now we're just a doormat.
Unsupported assertion.

Did you say that in 2017, 2018, and into June of 2019?
Genuinely no idea what you're getting at.

It certainly doesn't feel like we're racing to the top or even treading water.
You are of course entitled to your feelings. But they aren't "facts and observations".

sounds a little ad hominum
They asked for facts.

Being a net exporter while drawing down our strategic reserves does not sound very strategic.... but it does provide that policy talking point.
As I noted above, I'm addressing the initial claim that "US energy independence is wrecked".

Taiwan security remains in question. China has studied our behavior around the world and is becoming more aggressive challenging our military in international waters (South china sea, Taiwan straits, etc).
This is not new, not indicative of "giving away Taiwan" as I was refuting.

Again noting that the demands for facts and proof are very one-sided.

Besides being all over the place, you're moving the goalposts. The claim I'm refuting is that "US energy independence was wrecked". Show us how it was wrecked.
Did you look at the graphs in your link? What does the trend look like now? Why isn't the 2022 data on the graphs in the article? Maybe because text makes obfuscation of the data easier while a graph reveals the reality of what has happened in the past couple of years.

Headlines aren't important, facts are. Meanwhile the article is forced to admit that the "ruffled feathers" belong to Republicans in Congress - not a big shock there - and that our decades-long One China policy remains unchanged, even noting, "US also allows for its military to come to Taiwan’s defense should Beijing attempt to take Taiwan by force, something both the Trump and Biden administrations stated repeatedly as US-China tensions began heating up in 2016."
Biden and Blinken are weak sauce on foreign policy and that is an apparent fact. Look at how China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea have behaved after Biden was elected (and especially after the disastrously mismanaged Afghanistan withdrawal).

Unsupported assertion.
See above.

Genuinely no idea what you're getting at.
I think you do. If we're going to excuse Biden's foreign policy failures two and a half years into his administration because it "doesn't turn on a dime," then why didn't the same hold for the Trump administration in June of 2019?

You are of course entitled to your feelings. But they aren't "facts and observations".
My observations of world events aren't about feelings. The USA is weaker in almost every way since the ine-two punches of the BS extended lock downs and Biden taking office.

They asked for facts.
yup
As I noted above, I'm addressing the initial claim that "US energy independence is wrecked".
and the "fact" you presented is flawed. Exporting SPR is not energy independence except for low information voters. The fossil fuel industries continue to be under attack since this current administration took office.
This is not new, not indicative of "giving away Taiwan" as I was refuting.
But China's militarization of the south china sea is relatively new. China was able to squash democracy in Hong Kong with barely a whimper from the west. They are watching Ukraine closely to see if Putin gets away with his adventurism there. If Russia doesn't get hurt for invading Ukraine, China will see that as a green light to invade Taiwan. (Sorry a little mind reading there.)
Again noting that the demands for facts and proof are very one-sided.
As Sgt Joe Friday on Dragnet famously said, "just the facts maam just the facts".

JR

Did you look at the graphs in your link? What does the trend look like now? Why isn't the 2022 data on the graphs in the article?
Because as indicated the charts were based on data throught October 2022. Kind of hard to chart a year that hasn't finished. If you really wanted the latest data it's a quick search. Petroleum data starts on page 62. Shows continued decrease in imports and increase in production. https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/mer.pdf

Exporting SPR is not energy independence
It also isn't "wrecking energy independence". Not sure why you think it's incumbent on me to prove a negative.

Biden and Blinken are weak sauce on foreign policy and that is an apparent fact
Nah.

Look at how China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea have behaved after Biden was elected
Look at how they behaved before he was elected.

But China's militarization of the south china sea is relatively new. China was able to squash democracy in Hong Kong with barely a whimper from the west. They are watching Ukraine closely to see if Putin gets away with his adventurism there. If Russia doesn't get hurt for invading Ukraine, China will see that as a green light to invade Taiwan. (Sorry a little mind reading there.)
No argument from me. It seems like Russia has already been hurt FWIW.

If we're going to excuse Biden's foreign policy failures two and a half years into his administration because it "doesn't turn on a dime," then why didn't the same hold for the Trump administration in June of 2019?
Lot of false premises there: that you've identified failures, that I'm excusing them, that "turn on a dime" isn't about sodderboy's previous assertion. But seriously: what about June of 2019?

It also isn't "wrecking energy independence". Not sure why you think it's incumbent on me to prove a negative.
you provided the dodgy claims of energy independence.

President Biden's release of oil from the SPR appears to be purely for political reasons, to reduce high pump gas prices that irritate voters.

During the last administration the US was a real net energy exporter and controlled marginal world oil supplies. Now the Saudis and OPEC+ are back in control of oil prices (mostly), while Russian oil sales through unconventional back door channels is thwarting Saudi attempts to reduce supply and support prices.
Nah.

Look at how they behaved before he was elected.
exactly....
No argument from me. It seems like Russia has already been hurt FWIW.
This isn't over yet but Xi is watching closely to see if he could get away with similar bad behavior.
Lot of false premises there: that you've identified failures, that I'm excusing them, that "turn on a dime" isn't about sodderboy's previous assertion. But seriously: what about June of 2019?
I don't accept homework assignments.. What about it?

JR

you provided the dodgy claims of energy independence.
Claiming energy dependence wasn't "wrecked" isn't the same as claiming we are totally independent.

I don't accept homework assignments.. What about it?
Note that I was replying directly to AnalogPackrat and their repeated context-free reference to June 2019.

Claiming energy dependence wasn't "wrecked" isn't the same as claiming we are totally independent.

Note that I was replying directly to AnalogPackrat and their repeated context-free reference to June 2019.
It wasn't context-free. You all want to give Biden a pass on his terrible foreign policy 2.5 years into his term because "it doesn't turn on a dime," but no one wanted to give Trump the same deference 2.5 years into his term (June 2019 if you can follow first grade calendar math).

I'll note that no new wars were started 2017-2020.

North Korean missile and nuke testing ebbed.

https://www.newsweek.com/north-kore...high-after-slowing-under-donald-trump-1749691
China was not overtly threatening Taiwan.

We were not groveling to kings and dictators for more crude oil.

Many NATO members increased their funding to meet the treaty requirements.

You all want to give Biden a pass on his terrible foreign policy 2.5 years into his term because "it doesn't turn on a dime," but no one wanted to give Trump the same deference 2.5 years into his term (June 2019 if you can follow first grade calendar math).
You seem very determined to take it out of context so again, "international relations don't turn on a dime" was a direct response to sodderboy's statement:
We were warned so often how Trump was going to alienate the US from their allies- now our allies are clamoring to join BRICs!
No one to my knowledge claimed allies would come rushing back the second Biden took office, nor did they claim there's a waiting period before criticizing a sitting president's decisions.

if you can follow first grade calendar math
Hello ad hominem.

I'll note that no new wars were started 2017-2020.
By the U.S.? I'll note that no new wars were started 2021-2023 either.

North Korean missile and nuke testing ebbed.
According to your Newsweek article, it ebbed until "the failure in 2019 of the Hanoi Summit, the second meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un" and that "leading up to the Eighth Party Congress [in January 2021] and in the months after it, North Korea 'clearly did a lot of planning and a lot of manufacturing and development, to be able to have all of these systems ready to test back to back throughout this year'".

We were not groveling to kings and dictators for more crude oil.
If requests to OPEC are "groveling" then yes we were. Trump in February 2019: ""OPEC, please relax and take it easy. World cannot take a price hike -- fragile!" More significantly in 2020, when oil prices crashed (due to the pandemic and the Saudi Arabia/Russia spat) he begged OPEC to increase production.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/oil-prices-trump-opec/index.htmlI don't consider any of this "groveling" but you might as well be consistent.

China was not overtly threatening Taiwan.
Ok. This is the fault of Biden because...?

You seem very determined to take it out of context so again, "international relations don't turn on a dime" was a direct response to sodderboy's statement:
nice deflection
No one to my knowledge claimed allies would come rushing back the second Biden took office, nor did they claim there's a waiting period before criticizing a sitting president's decisions.
The press is clearly on one side
Hello ad hominem.
not sweet
ex-President Trump was very sensible about proper use of the military... He gave the military free hand to do what it takes to vaporize the ISIS Caliphate in Iraq/Syria. Now with the softer US/western posture ISIS and others are reforming in Afghanistan.
According to your Newsweek article, it ebbed until "the failure in 2019 of the Hanoi Summit, the second meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un" and that "leading up to the Eighth Party Congress [in January 2021] and in the months after it, North Korea 'clearly did a lot of planning and a lot of manufacturing and development, to be able to have all of these systems ready to test back to back throughout this year'".
There is a night and day difference between the posture of rogue nations like N Korea and Iran, not to mention, opposition nations like China and Russia. Since President Biden mishandled Afghanistan withdrawal and other examples of softness. Bad guys don't respect weakness.
If requests to OPEC are "groveling" then yes we were. Trump in February 2019: ""OPEC, please relax and take it easy. World cannot take a price hike -- fragile!" More significantly in 2020, when oil prices crashed (due to the pandemic and the Saudi Arabia/Russia spat) he begged OPEC to increase production.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/oil-prices-trump-opec/index.htmlI don't consider any of this "groveling" but you might as well be consistent.
interesting choice of words.... Insisting that NATO nations stand up and pay their agreed to funding commitments to NATO, the organization formed to protect them, seems fair, since the US has been paying too much to defend NATO states for way too long.
The buck stops with POTUS but he has openly dismissed sensible advice from military advisers and others.

a distinction without a difference.
==
I have watched with concern the multi-pronged attack against the fossil fuel industries, besides presidential XOs (I won't bore the forum with a full list) and regulatory "friction". On top of that ESG investing has denied the fossil fuel industry sufficient working capital to expand resources. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt for having good intentions, but increasingly it seems to be ignorance driven. Thwarting low cost fossil fuels harms the poorest among us.

5 years ago the 15 year old international sensation Greta Thunberg re-tweeted a "scientist's" :rolleyes: claim that the world would end if we don't stop use of fossil fuels in 5 years. Well now she is 20 years old and has deleted her ignorant tweet, but hasn't changer her tune. There is a long list of such claims.

JR

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/oil-prices-trump-opec/index.html I don't consider any of this "groveling" but you might as well be consistent.
interesting choice of words.... Insisting that NATO nations stand up and pay their agreed to funding commitments to NATO, the organization formed to protect them, seems fair, since the US has been paying too much to defend NATO states for way too long.
Thanks for reminding I've already spent too much time on this.

They didn't run away under Trump. Allies that can't pull their own weight or meet treaty requirements aren't a good deal. Trump at least held them to account.

Hello ad hominem.
An observation on your inability to either do math or follow a simple analogy.

Right. Let's ignore the huge proxy war enabled by the obvious weakness of the US (and NATO).

It isn't like NK did not have the means to launch or perform a nuke test at all during the Trump administration. Clearly they waited until Weak Joe took office.

He begged Venezuela, too. Yes, groveling.

Because the only nation that can reasonably and meaningfully oppose Chinese aggression is the USA. Capiche?

An observation on your inability to either do math or follow a simple analogy.
Why the rudeness?

Talk about someone not being able to follow…Sometimes my point is so simple that my only conclusion is that you’re only acting like you’re not able to follow due to my communication-style; for some reason. However, I’m certainly not ever rude about it and sometimes even put some fault upon myself for you not following; because it MAY be partially or completely true and it’s just the polite thing to do.

You like to talk about morals… How about you practice some politeness? Damn.

Last edited:
ex-President Trump was very sensible about proper use of the military... He gave the military free hand to do what it takes to vaporize the ISIS Caliphate in Iraq/Syria. Now with the softer US/western posture ISIS and others are reforming in Afghanistan.
Wait. They’re reforming because we’re gone and there’s not enough power of those that oppose there. Plain and simple. How does that make the US/western posture softer? It can be argued that us leaving before completing the job contributed to us looking soft.

From my understanding, it was Trump’s decision and plan to leave and Biden’s execution of that plan. Enough people on both sides have argued about the “truth” of that enough, for political-posturing. I’m not interested.

yup

and the "fact" you presented is flawed. Exporting SPR is not energy independence except for low information voters. The fossil fuel industries continue to be under attack since this current administration took office.

What's SPR? There are at least a dozen explanations for that acronym and none makes sense.

The fossil fuel industry has been very much aware of what they were doing since their own scientists were among the first to notice global warming in the seventies. They hid the facts and spent a boatload of money to hinder other scientists. Just like the tobacco and sugar industries did.

So it's certainly not since the last administration. That sounds almost as dumb as a Trump follower stating that racism started with Obama.

Wait. They’re reforming because we’re gone and there’s not enough power of those that oppose there. Plain and simple.
We left in a chaotic and unplanned way. Billions in weapons and munitions were abandoned which are now being used for ill.

How does that make the US/western posture softer?
That's not what he said. How can you intrepret what JR wrote in such a back-asswards way?

It can be argued that us leaving before completing the job contributed to us looking soft.
It doesn't have to be argued. It is patently obvious.

From my understanding, it was Trump’s decision and plan to leave and Biden’s execution of that plan.
No, that would be the CNN/MSNBC narrative trying to cover for the Biden administration's cluster. Even the military admitted as much. And even if it was "Trump's plan," why didn't Biden's brilliant and diverse team figure out it was bad and formulate something better? They had 19 months to do so. Either way, they are incompetent.

Enough people on both sides have argued about the “truth” of that enough, for political-posturing. I’m not interested.
The only posturing is related to defending what Biden & Co did and the poor outcome. It happened. Own it.

Back