The Rude Tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bernbrue said:
glbaudio said:
for who interested, i've putted a case production request in the DIY-Racked.com site, here the link:
http://www.diy-racked.com/diy-talk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212
pls add any clue to let him do it! ;-)

No,
please don´t do that. I mentioned it in the Rude Tube pcb thread. For personal reason I don´t want to see my project in any of Purushas case. I don´t want that Purusha makes money with my project. I would really appreciate if you respect my opinion. Further details in the pcb thread.
regards
Bernd
ok, i didn't know this, i will cut this request

talking about irons...
i have a couple of Sowter 4257 and a couple of Sowter 4498, here the spec of both:
http://www.sowter.co.uk/archive/proaudio.htm

do you think i can use them in this circuit?

Hey Guys,
I got my PCBs and me happy :) great job!
I think I need your help :) :) I can't find 100uH[L1] on the mouser website... and also Log 22K  :(
last question is  where can I find the cheaper E88cc?
Thanks for any advice...

cheers

Hi,
Drask is going to open up a "Rude Tube build and help thread". Please ask there for sourcing parts.

http://www.musikding.de/Passive-Bauteile/Transformatoren/Drosseln/Drossel-100uH-0-165A::3128.html

regards
Bernd

my PCB is arrived today...  ;)
i see in the PSU board, on the Relay-Lamp 24V rail, C11 is an electrolitic 25V type (5 mm spacing)...are you sure is enough? with a 24V transformer the voltage in that point should be 33-34V...

glbaudio said:
my PCB is arrived today...  ;)
i see in the PSU board, on the Relay-Lamp 24V rail, C11 is an electrolitic 25V type (5 mm spacing)...are you sure is enough? with a 24V transformer the voltage in that point should be 33-34V...
Hi,
Good.
Oh okay, maybe a error of me when I write the BOM.
You can put a 35v for to be sure. You can find with the same footprint.
I can't check before saturday. But I keep you inform ;)

Jerome

Jerome,
would you please open a new thread for your Rude Tube pcbs. I would like to keep this thread clean for further developments and mods. So, fellows, don´t post BOM, questions etc. here.
regards
Bernd

Hi,
I need some help. I would like to implement two preamp outputs in my Rude Tube, one line out (transformer balanced) and another unbalanced output that can be connected directly to a poweramp/guitaramp. My question: can I simply send the unbalanced signal from the ECC88 to a guitaramp? I tried it once and found the output too hot for a guitaramp. Any advise?
regards
Bernd

If you really want to be sure you could put an impedance-transformer-stage between the tube and the output, acting like a sort of re-amp box?

P.S. I don't know jack, but it sounded logical in my head.

M

It is a little tricky in the rude tube arrangement to do an additional hi-Z output of a useful voltage level for a guitar amp.

Taking signal off the line amp tube output will cause loading effects for the balanced output for sure.
But it could be done using an attenuation network. I's just that the main output will be compromised.

You could also try taking off the line driver tube grid with a suitable attenuation network. You'll get some thing working
but again it will certainly compromise the performance of the line amp.

Another possibility is taking off from the cathode of the line amp tube with a suitable network.
Or even the cathode of the 2nd tube for that matter.

That would work but the output Z would be on the low side.
Perhaps you can make a network to increase the Z.
I think that would be the least bad option.

Bottom line is I don't think it can be done without big compromises.

It really needs an additional tube or transformer  or even (god forbid) a fet or so  :)

Good luck :)

Hey guys,

just checking, but could I use a Carnhill VTB9071 (10k:10k) for input and a VTB2380 (15k:600) for output? Going to finish mine soon..

Cheers,
B.

Sure you could. No probs at all with a 10K:10K input feeding the EF86 and a 15K:600 at the output.
The step down at the output works well - I've used that ratio and am very happy with it.

Some might say that's a great way to go.

Cheers

alexc said:
Sure you could. No probs at all with a 10K:10K input feeding the EF86 and a 15K:600 at the output.
The step down at the output works well - I've used that ratio and am very happy with it.

Cheers

Thanks, I'll report my findings and maybe some sound samples if people would like to hear what it sounds like with carnhills.

baadc0de said:
alexc said:

Cheers

Thanks, I'll report my findings and maybe some sound samples if people would like to hear what it sounds like with carnhills.

Hi,
you might need an input pad (12 or 20dB) in front of the input transformer. I found out in my prototype that the EF86 sounds fantastic when a guitar or bass is plugged in via DI. When you insert the Rude Tube in a channel, the line level signal makes the Ef86 distort in a very unpleasent way. The Rude Tube has got plenty of gain to make up the loss. Sound samples are very much appreciated. I´m always curious, with what other people feed this versatile box.
regards
Bernd

Sure, I'll put a balanced U pad in front of it. Will do with the samples, as soon as I get my box out of print.

Latest posts

Back