The Rude Tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be interested.  It may take awhile to get to it.

It would be fairly easy to mod the Orange 86 by plopping a tube in the back panel

I am listening to the youtube video.  Sis you take their sample or did you just play a similar riff?

What are you using for the inductor/choke?

Oh, did you just flip polarity at the output, since the signal's polarity is reversed by the 6AS6?

Attached a pdf file with the schematic. No, I didn´t take their audio file, I just played a similar riff. Concerning inductors I had some leftovers from my gyraf pultec build. Digikey part number TK4425-ND.
regards
Bernd

Attachments

• REDD2CULTUREVULTURE MOD.pdf
    218.6 KB · Views: 225
Just a guess, but possibly the sqash modes are realized by reducing H.T. to G2. So you´ve got peak mode with and sqash modes without applying bias. Not tested !!

Attachments

• CV Sqash modes.JPG
    CV Sqash modes.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 125
Hank Dussen said:
Just curious: what does the meter actually show? Compression? Amount of distortion?

The meter shows the current going through the cathode of the 6AS6. When the 6AS6 is totally overdriven the meter starts to twist according to the input signal.
regards
Bernd

Hi,
schematic updated (see first post)
I did some fine tuning. Changes made in EF86 loadline and output section of the 6AS6. Now it works like a charm. The cut off frequency of the LPF should be checked and also its position. I put it after the 6AS6 valve stage. Change values to taste.
regards
Bernd

sounds really good!!

i think i will knock one of these out.
i cant seem seem to find the sowter 3528 transformer on their website?
where did u get this transformer??

Hi,
I always wondered how 10 different functions (Triode, Pentode, 5 peak and 3 sqash modes) can be realized with a simple 1x12 Lorlin. Would anyone have a look at the schematic attached and check whether this switch arrangement could work? There are still 6 further positions left for experiments. The sqash modes seem to be realized with almost starving G2 voltage which could be realized with a huge resistor in front of G2.
regards
Bernd

Attachments

• peak modes with G2.JPG
    peak modes with G2.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 103
Given that G2 is permanently wired to the cathode, I wonder if we can still call it a penthode...? Looks more like a tetrode to me ;)

What if you want to starve G2 (squash mode) AND have a peak in the same time? That's achievable with a separate switch for squash...

Axel

mad.ax said:
Given that G2 is permanently wired to the cathode, I wonder if we can still call it a penthode...? Looks more like a tetrode to me ;)

What if you want to starve G2 (squash mode) AND have a peak in the same time? That's achievable with a separate switch for squash...

Axel

G3 is wired to cathode, G2 is wired as penthode.
regards
Bernd

Back