The Vaccine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious.... while doing paperwork in preparation for getting my second jab I asked a pretty young nurse about aspirating the needle before injecting vaccine, she said of course they do..... Then in the next tent where the soldiers were giving the jabs, I perceived no pause between stick and push. My neighbor the druggist says they use self aspirating needles but again, zero pause to inspect for blood. Self aspirating needles are apparently big in dental practice to prevent injecting strong painkillers directly into the bloodstream by accident.

===

Doing a search revealed advice from who and cdc saying aspiration is not recommended for intramuscular (IM) injections.

The good news is these clots are one in a million events, and not associated with Moderna Vaccine, but news media is doing their best to scare us.

JR

PS: I hear that there is a new mask efficacy report from stanford that twitter has already blocked, must not be toeing the official line.

mask efficacy report from stanford that twitter has already blocked

Twitter's founding principal was about free exchange of ideas, free expression. Tired of the mission creep-- private companies selling (in effect) a public service, but turn into information gatekeepers.

boji said:
Twitter's founding principal was about free exchange of ideas, free expression. Tired of the mission creep-- private companies selling (in effect) a public service, but turn into information gatekeepers.
I have since learned that the stanford report may have been published last november, unless there is another newer one.

Information is power...

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
PS: I hear that there is a new mask efficacy report from stanford that twitter has already blocked, must not be toeing the official line.

It's an old paper, dating back to nov. last year. The full title is "Facemasks in the COVID-19 era: A health hypothesis"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

The person who wrote it (Baruch Vainshelboim) has been the laughing stock of the entire scientific community. Now, all of a sudden, the conservative gutter press has "found" it and they're all hollering "See, Covid isn't real". Again. Must be very low on real arguments.

The nucleus of the hypothesis:

Therefore, it has been hypothesized: 1) the practice of wearing facemasks has compromised safety and efficacy profile, 2) Both medical and non-medical facemasks are ineffective to reduce human-to-human transmission and infectivity of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19, 3) Wearing facemasks has adverse physiological and psychological effects, 4) Long-term consequences of wearing facemasks on health are detrimental.

Remark: "It has been hypothesised...". I mean he's not even hypothesising himself.

Know the meaning of the word "hypothesis, John? Or do you prefer the term "report", phantasised by conservative media?

Besides, here are some real answers about masks, dated june of last year, from the same source, Stanford:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

I don't want to scare the children with details, but the side effects from the second dose of moderna are significantly more severe than first dose.

I won't bore you with details but there were side effects I had not even heard of (like "Moderna arm").

The good news about living with modern internet search, I was able to learn from a quick search that I am not alone in this reaction, and expected to live. :)

JR

Ricardus said:
I get my 2nd Pfizer this Monday.
My experience (and that of a lot of folks I know) is that the 2nd day is generally when the worst effects hit.  Chills are common, sweats, lethargy, nausea, slight fever.  The worst of it generally fades fairly quickly. 

hodad said:
My experience (and that of a lot of folks I know) is that the 2nd day is generally when the worst effects hit.  Chills are common, sweats, lethargy, nausea, slight fever.  The worst of it generally fades fairly quickly.
I have been reluctant to make a big deal about symptoms to not scare people.

+1 different symptoms develop over days. My fever peaked at about +2 degrees (day 2), normal now (day 4). You forgot to mention the joint soreness.... The chills were bad enough I wore two sweat shirts and sweat pants under the covers (night 2). I also had trouble sleeping getting up in the middle of the night and watching TV for a couple hours before going back to bed.

But you missed the icing on the cake symptom, last night (day 3) I developed "Moderna Arm". The upper arm region just below the injection site became inflamed and swollen... I had a Hulk thing going on with another bicep swelling out of that arm.  By the this morning the swelling has mostly subsided but it is still tender and hot (inflamed). 

The good news about living in this century is that we can search WWW and find that we are not some rare extreme case but just one of several outlier symptoms that are widely reported. Remember we are talking about millions of jabs.  My unpleasant symptom is common enough that they named it. :)   

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I have been reluctant to make a big deal about symptoms to not scare people.

From everything I've heard (and your experience bears it out), Moderna #2 seems to be a generally rougher ride than Pfizer #2.  I talked to another 3 Pfizer friends tonight, & they had similar experiences--lethargy and/or general crappiness for a day, and then it lets up quickly. 

The folks I know who've had the J&J (none of them women of childbearing age, btw) have reported little more than a sore arm. 

hodad said:
I talked to another 3 Pfizer friends tonight, & they had similar experiences--lethargy and/or general crappiness for a day, and then it lets up quickly. 

Which is about what I had, after getting my second Pfizer dose a couple days ago.

US vaccination centers closing down for lack of people to vaccinate, according to Business Insider:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-uk-vaccinations-herd-immunity-reopening-too-soon-2021-4?international=true&r=US&IR=T

The US and UK lead the world's coronavirus vaccinations — but they may struggle to reach herd immunity if they reopen too soon

cyrano said:
US vaccination centers closing down for lack of people to vaccinate, according to Business Insider:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-uk-vaccinations-herd-immunity-reopening-too-soon-2021-4?international=true&r=US&IR=T
My vaccination center had a healthy crowd last week when I got my second moderna jab.

I read an article today that one northern state has started vaccinating Canadian truck drivers, another US state is vaccinating Canadian oil field workers. Canada is apparently short of vaccine supplies since they don't have a domestic vaccine maker to squeeze.

I mentioned it at the time but I was upset about then candidates Biden and Harris publicly questioning the trustworthiness of the vaccine because the Trump administration supported development of it. In typical political hypocrisy their personal doubts evaporated when they we able to get vaccinated themselves prior to taking office. 

Sadly the public is not very competent about evaluating health (or any) science and is easily led astray by popular media.

Again I don't want to speculate about motives but in a follow the money kind of analysis, who benefits from keeping the economy shuttered and schools closed.... not the public.

JR

PS; Ted Nugent a high profile pandemic denier, has announced that he just recovered from covid. He says he still won't get vaccinated but it is unclear that he needs it after recovering from the real deal creating natural antibodies. 

Brazil decided to reject the Russian Sputnik vaccine. Some very interesting info here:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/28/brazil-rejects-the-gamaleya-vaccine

The response from the Sputnik V camp has not been good. The official Twitter account has accused Anvisa of having “invented fake news” about the vaccine, when what you’d hope to see is more of the good ol’ “We stand by our manufacturing process, but take these concerns seriously and are working with the authorities to resolve this question” sort of thing.

Read the comments, if you're interested. Brazil remains the number one threat to world health. It might just be overtaken by India soon, because of the same rhetoric from their right-wing leaders.

My wife and I got our second Oxford jabs this week. Nearly 50 million doses administered so far. All metrics continue to fall and lock down restrictions are gradually being eased. Looks like France will be open for holidays soon. Just need some decent weather. This April was the coldest and driest for many years.

Cheers

Ian

It appears that the UK gamble to delay second jabs and use the supply freed up to give more people first jabs instead has paid off...

My neighbor was due to get his second jab this week but postponed it because he was scheduled to go camping with some of his sons. He saw my reaction to my second dose and decided he didn't want that to happen to him out at his deer camp.

We seem to be getting some mixed messaging about mask wearing... but it appears covid is diminishing despite their confusion.

Some bad experiences still in the third world. I read about one lady in south America  who caught Covid and died after getting her first vaccination but it was one of the Chinese vaccines with only single digit protection from the first jab. 

Be well, and keep washing your hands...

JR 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back