Too Hot To DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jplebre said:
I honestly don't understand what's going on. I'm from Portugal in an area where a normal summer has temperatures raging 35-37ºC.
a "hot" summer or "heatwave" would mean crossing the 40ºC threshold.

But this year in UK, these mere 30ºC have caused me migraines, light headiness, loss of balance and just plain simple not being able to work.
Not sure if humidity, london, or the pollen, or a combination of the 3, but it is thruly unbearable :S

I am pretty sure it is the humidity. The UK is a smallish island surrounded by sea and bathed in the Gulf stream. Most Brits go to the continent for the 'dry' heat which is much more bearable.

Cheers

Ian

leadbreath said:
too hot? wtf?? its only warming up man! we'll talk again when the temp reaches 45'C
and being scared by moths?! man u pommies are sad.
it reminds me of a six foot four scotsman i knew who was chased around by a butterly one sad day..

Different strokes, man. I remember going to California in April and the temperatures were just over 20 deg C. My wife and I wore T shirts and went to have breakfast on the terrace. When we got there we had to ask the waiter to turn off the huge gas space heater. He reckoned it was too cold to sit outside.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Different strokes, man. I remember going to California in April and the temperatures were just over 20 deg C. My wife and I wore T shirts and went to have breakfast on the terrace. When we got there we had to ask the waiter to turn off the huge gas space heater. He reckoned it was too cold to sit outside.

to your defense it's only in England I've seen small children in t shirts when it was snowing!  ???

I used to go to Europe for thanksgiving... one year we went to London.  I have never been so cold.

jplebre said:
But this year in UK, these mere 30ºC have caused me migraines, light headiness, loss of balance and just plain simple not being able to work.
Not sure if humidity, london, or the pollen, or a combination of the 3, but it is thruly unbearable :S
Must be the food  ;)

abbey road d enfer said:
jplebre said:
Must be the food  ;)
Funny, but you can get good Indian food there.

JR

p00cnssw.jpg

"Harsh, blud."    "You know what I mean?"

"yeah these brits lack good cuisine. The food could be it."

the food over here has improved dramatically over the years, a pub lunch used to consist of a soggy pie,stale chips and beans but now you can order anything from cuisine burgers to pasta dishes to healthy salads  in a pub at a very reasonable cost.

"Funny, but you can get good Indian food there."

not really considering the Uk has a massive indian/pakistani/bangladeshi community.
in london you will find food from every nation on this planet, you name it you will find it.
i couldnt believe when i first arrived on these shores and i found a south african deli just around the corner from the flat where i first lived.

leadbreath said:
"Funny, but you can get good Indian food there."

not really considering the Uk has a massive indian/pakistani/bangladeshi community.
in london you will find food from every nation on this planet, you name it you will find it.
i couldnt believe when i first arrived on these shores and i found a south african deli just around the corner from the flat where i first lived.
Well, I just couldn't resist a pun.
I used to go a lot to London.
In the late 60's, I went there regularly to buy musical equipment, then in the 80's for the APRS. That's when I discovered the best greek food on earth (probably better than in Athens), and then in the 90's I was a director of a company there, and noticed the increasing awareness of Londoners for refined cuisine, the burgeoning offer and the correlative increase in price.

Last time I was in london I was surprised at how good the food was (20 years ago it was truly aweful), but I have to say the prices there do sort of take your breath away.  Compared to "cheap" places like New York City!

I always wonder if the critques of English food is because of the recipes we've come up with, or the quality of food in pubs etc??

Theres bad places, good places, like everywhere...
Besides, if you want great food you've got to realise that England is a lot more than London (and a lot better too :p)
Come up to the dales or the lakes for some true quality. None of those southern pansies know how to make a truly grand roast with cracking yorkshires...  ;D

ramshackles said:
I always wonder if the critques of English food is because of the recipes we've come up with, or the quality of food in pubs etc?

It's both. I have to admit I thought the overall presentation was terrible, more than three years of living in and around West Yorkshire. Plenty of times I was also taken to what could be classed as "fine restaurant". My cooking is perhaps slightly above average, but if a moderately expensive restaurant can't deliver quality above that you can always count me disappointed.

I like fish and chips every once in a while. Impossible to get a good plate here. But I'm also very glad things like "chip butty" and "mince pie" never leave the shores of the Great Britain.  :eek: Wouldn't hurt to turn off the deep frier every once in a while either. I was quite surprised they are a household item over there.

Also somewhat strange there are so many international cook-stars from UK.

"But I'm also very glad things like "chip butty" and "mince pie" never leave the shores of the Great Britain"
hah!! or beans on toast and deep fried haggis...

Food related kinda. . .
I have tried the hot climate foods in the summers here- peppers, curries, etc. and I do not find that they make me any cooler.  Yes they have a preservative effect in high temps, and make one consume more liquids when eating, but eating Vietnamese when its 27 degrees just makes me feel hotter.
I prefer not to eat much at all.
I was fortunate to have nothing but wild blueberries and fresh goats milk twice yesterday.  Warm milk right out of Betsy up in NH.  Better than a goat vindaloo I think.
Mike
PS: I refuse to drill in the heat.  Just canna dooit.

Latest posts

Back