Audio Transformers 101

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

We often get very basic questions about transformers, as often as not because someone does not quite understand an explanation they have been given elsewhere . I have answered quite few of these myself so I thought it might be worth while creating a two page summary of audio transformer basics. It is not meant to be comprehensive or complete but hopefully be sufficient to answer most basic questions.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Audio Transformers 101.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 34
The basics never go out of style.
I'd like to see something like this on magnetic saturation as freq drops, and a permeability discussion.

We often get very basic questions about transformers, as often as not because someone does not quite understand an explanation they have been given elsewhere . I have answered quite few of these myself so I thought it might be worth while creating a two page summary of audio transformer basics. It is not meant to be comprehensive or complete but hopefully be sufficient to answer most basic questions.

Cheers

Ian
great post mate

That would be worthwhile to add noise considerations, as some believe that transformers do not add noise. In fact they do, as the noise is a function of resistance. That's why it is very important to wind the Pri with as thick wire, as possible. The more the ratio the worse the noise as here the ratio is squared (same as impedance). Say we have 10 Ohm static Pri resistance with say, 1:10 ratio. Then it translates into 10x10^2=1,000 Ohm. Add to that say, 1kOhm Sec static resistance and we are getting -121dBv noise. If we cut those values say in twice, Pri=5 Ohm, Sec=500 Ohm then the noise would've been -124dBv.

It is especially important to consider those resistances in low signal application, where every dB of noise counts. Say, we want to make a ribbon microphone transformer. We have two transformers with 1:37 ratio. One Pri=0.05 Ohm, Sec=67 Ohm, and another Pri=0.001 Ohm, Sec=5 Ohm. The first one will have 0.05x37^2+67=291 Ohm=-133dBv noise, the second 0.001x37+5=-147dBv. That is for the transformer itself. Now let's remember in a real system we also have a ribbon impedance (which is mostly a pure resistance, except for at tuning frequency). With ribbon clamps losses it is say, 0.1 Ohm. Then we get the noise of the entire system -130.5dBv for the first transformer, and -131.5dBv for the second one.

Now let's not forget the Sec resistance together with input one makes a voltage divider. With input impedance of modern 3kOhm preamp and mic output voltage say 0.1V the second transformer will have about 0.17dB more additional (free!!!) output. Is that much? Sounds like not a lot, however, in a well designed transformer the lower static resistance is rather an indication of superior other parameters, so in reality we will likely have better coupling, less leakage and losses, which all together will make the differences much larger than calculated for ideal transformer.

Please note, for the above transformers I took two high quality units from well known companies. With lesser transformers the difference can be by far more significant.

Hope that's of help.

Best, M

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. It was quite tempting to expand this to include factors like distortion/saturation, inductance versus frequency, properties of different core materials and effects of winding resistance but I wanted to keep it simple, short and address the most commonly asked questions. I only added the part about primary and leakage inductances at the last minute - not because people ask about it a lot but because it seemed to me to be the next obvious question - why do practical transformers not work with any impedance source or load? All the more advanced topics are already covered in Bill Whitlock's timeless AES paper:

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Audio-Transformers-Chapter.pdf

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all the comments. It was quite tempting to expand this to include factors like distortion/saturation, inductance versus frequency, properties of different core materials and effects of winding resistance but I wanted to keep it simple, short and address the most commonly asked questions. I only added the part about primary and leakage inductances at the last minute - not because people ask about it a lot but because it seemed to me to be the next obvious question - why do practical transformers not work with any impedance source or load? All the more advanced topics are already covered in Bill Whitlock's timeless AES paper:

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Audio-Transformers-Chapter.pdf

Cheers

Ian
Actually, this download is not an AES paper. It is the chapter I wrote for the book "Handbook for Sound Engineers" 3rd edition. My agreement with the publisher allows me to freely distribute it starting 1 year after publication (long ago passed). The book is about to go into its 6th edition. I made it available at the Jensen during my 25 years there as owner/chief engineer.

Thanks Ian...again you provide info/help...I am not a rocket science cat so BASIC info helps me very much...I liked math in school but darn that jazz :cool:
FYI my Federal 864 clone sounds great on vocals which is what I hoped for and looks kinda cool doing it

Attachments

• 20230707_063934.jpg
    20230707_063934.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Actually, this download is not an AES paper. It is the chapter I wrote for the book "Handbook for Sound Engineers" 3rd edition. My agreement with the publisher allows me to freely distribute it starting 1 year after publication (long ago passed). The book is about to go into its 6th edition. I made it available at the Jensen during my 25 years there as owner/chief engineer.
Thanks for the clarification Bill. I must be have been thinking of one of your other audio papers given at the AES.

P.S. I am an idiot; as soon as you open the pdf the first page shows the book.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for this Ian, very clear and easy to understand. I have a much better idea of the issues I’ve been having with a Pultec style build now.

When I still worked for a radio station, they used in some cases consumer CD players equiped with a 1:1 output transformer, to obtain a balanced output. (The output of a CD player is already pretty high.)
To make the output 'short circuit proof', they added a 22 ohm resistor between the output and the primary winding of the transformer. Together with the output impedance of the driving circuit, this relative high source impedance resulted in increased distortion.
My tests showed that a higher source impedance driving a transformer significantly increases transformer distortion.
So to make things 'short circuit proof', it is better to add a resistor after the secundary winding!
(And drive the transformer from a low impedance.)

This is an excellent thread! Thank you Ian for writing your paper and starting this discussion. An thank you goes as well to others that contributed!

What I'm confused about is what is the deal with gapped vs. ungapped transformers and bifillar/trifillar wiring.
What is the gap in gapped transformer - just a layer of paper tape or something special?
Bifillar is using two wires simultaneously, right? I get that with bifillar winding you get lower dc resistance. That's all to it or there's something extra?
And in which cases are those construction parameters important?

:)

Luka

What I'm confused about is what is the deal with gapped vs. ungapped transformers and bifillar/trifillar wiring.
What is the gap in gapped transformer - just a layer of paper tape or something special?
The gap is necessary to keep the core from saturating when it is used with a direct current. The material should be non-ferromagnetic with low permeability since it is supposed to interrupt the flux path. Traditionally some form of paper or pressed paper is used. I like plastic sheets since you can buy them in very specific fine gauges, which allows to fine tune the gap for best performance at a given current. The downside to all of this is that it greatly reduces the inductance, hence gapped transformers will always be bigger than their ungapped counterparts for the same power.

Bifillar is using two wires simultaneously, right? I get that with bifillar winding you get lower dc resistance. That's all to it or there's something extra?
Yes, it just means winding two or three wires at the same time, but there can be different reasons to do so. In the case of switching them parallel, the reason isn't really to lower the resistance. If there is so much space on your bobbin that you can just double up one of the windings you should rethink your design... The two wires in parallel are used instead of one thicker wire of the equivalent resistance. The reason to do so is that thinner wire is easier to wind, will stack better and waste less space and makes for a more compact winding overall. The other reason can be seen in the API output transformer, here the primary and secondary winding are wound together. This ensures better coupling between the two and reduces leakage inductance. Another possible scenario would be where you want perfectly symmetrical windings, for example a tube heater supply. Obviously not recommended for high voltage applications where a big voltage differential between the two wires could occur.

<Dream:> If Ian and CJ and volker and mistercmrr and possibly a few more were to join forces and write the definitive book on transformers, all of us muppet diy winders could wind even more beautiful transformers...
</Dream>
Until then, thanks gentlemen! this is magnificent! Lots to read! And don't forget the good old RDH Ch5...

Cheers!
V!

When I still worked for a radio station, they used in some cases consumer CD players equiped with a 1:1 output transformer, to obtain a balanced output. (The output of a CD player is already pretty high.)
To make the output 'short circuit proof', they added a 22 ohm resistor between the output and the primary winding of the transformer. Together with the output impedance of the driving circuit, this relative high source impedance resulted in increased distortion.
My tests showed that a higher source impedance driving a transformer significantly increases transformer distortion.
So to make things 'short circuit proof', it is better to add a resistor after the secundary winding!
(And drive the transformer from a low impedance.)
Many consumer units (CD player,etc) already have a "high output impedance"....typically a resistor wired in series with the output RCA jack.

Bri

Last edited:
The gap is necessary to keep the core from saturating when it is used with a direct current. The material should be non-ferromagnetic with low permeability since it is supposed to interrupt the flux path. Traditionally some form of paper or pressed paper is used. I like plastic sheets since you can buy them in very specific fine gauges, which allows to fine tune the gap for best performance at a given current. The downside to all of this is that it greatly reduces the inductance, hence gapped transformers will always be bigger than their ungapped counterparts for the same power.

Yes, it just means winding two or three wires at the same time, but there can be different reasons to do so. In the case of switching them parallel, the reason isn't really to lower the resistance. If there is so much space on your bobbin that you can just double up one of the windings you should rethink your design... The two wires in parallel are used instead of one thicker wire of the equivalent resistance. The reason to do so is that thinner wire is easier to wind, will stack better and waste less space and makes for a more compact winding overall. The other reason can be seen in the API output transformer, here the primary and secondary winding are wound together. This ensures better coupling between the two and reduces leakage inductance. Another possible scenario would be where you want perfectly symmetrical windings, for example a tube heater supply. Obviously not recommended for high voltage applications where a big voltage differential between the two wires could occur.
You're absolutely correct about gapped transformers taking a serious drop in inductance. But I should point out that the lower inductance translates to lower maximum drive levels at low frequencies (say 20 or 30 Hz). By the time frequency gets to 1 kHz or higher, there's enough primary inductance with or without a gap. Because low phase (deviation from linear phase) distortion requires that the -3 dB point for LF response be about 1 Hz or less, it becomes very, very difficult to include a gap in its design. All Jensen designs had this (considered by many to be extreme) extended LF response. LF phase distortion (not shift, but non-linear phase shift) can have a very audible effect on instruments like kick drums. Jensen therefore never made transformers with gaps. Had we done so, they would have been extremely large and prohibitively expensive. The hard work for any transformer is at low frequencies. As I explain in the transformer chapter I wrote, for a constant-voltage drive, the flux density in the core of a transformer increases as frequency decreases. The real test for a transformer handling music (where bass dominates signal levels) is how much level can it handle (for say 1% THD at 20 Hz, as was the Jensen practice). Or you can make smaller transformers look better by rating them at 50 Hz ... or more.

Bifilar windings are generally used to reduce leakage inductance. Leakage inductance is very important if the transformer secondary drives a highly capacitive load (like long output cables). That capacitance and the leakage inductance form a 2-pole low-pass filter - and it's best if the cutoff frequency of that filter is well beyond 20 kHz. Therefore, nearly all Jensen output models are bifilar, trifilar, or quadfilar wound. However, the tradeoff for multifilar windings is coupling capacitance (often in the 10 nF to 30 nF range). If you use a bifilar output transformer driven by a single-ended output stage (as in consumer gear, for example), you will notice that the signal on the transformer secondary is not symmetrical with respect to ground (and become less symmetrical as frequency increases). Mind you, this is not a problem, but those who believe the pervasive myth about equal and opposite voltage swings on balanced lines imagine that it is! In fact, the impedances of the two output lines with respect to ground is very well matched - making it a truly balanced output. This assumes, of course, that the capacitance is uniformly distributed in the transformer winding - which in Jensen designs it is within ±2%.

Because input transformers generally have low capacitance loads (input of an amplifier, for example), they can tolerate much higher leakage inductance and still have high bandwidth. This is a good thing because most good input transformers insert a Faraday shield between primary and secondary to stop the aforementioned capacitive coupling. But, because it physically separates primary and secondary windings, there's a big increase in leakage inductance. How that tradeoff is optimized is what separates good transformers from excellent ones.

I had the impression that lower inductance results to lower bandwidth (i.e less extended high frequency).

Am I totally wrong?

Last edited:
Generally, when we refer to the "inductance" of a transformer, we mean the open-circuit (unloaded) primary inductance a.k.a. "L primary". This inductance, in combination with the source impedance and the resistance of the primary winding itself, sets the LOW frequency -3 dB bandwidth limit. High-frequency bandwidth is set by the uncoupled or "leakage inductance" (which is effectively in series with the signal) in combination with the sum of internal and external capacitance on the secondary side. Lowering leakage inductance and/or load capacitance will increase high-frequency bandwidth.

Latest posts

Back