trafoless microphone preamp wish list

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well people since Brad is swamped with work let me fill in until his return
Input1.gif

as you can see it has a little of everything to suit the masses. Feel free to tweak it to desired taste. Group excercise is welcomed
icon_mrgreen.gif

Analag

What is provided here is the first stage, or the input stage as you will. You can place a gain control after the caps C4 and C5 and then insert preferably a discrete opamp or go fully balanced....

Analag

J3 and J4 used as source followers ARE buffers.

Yes, I know, but what are the lowest possible impedance those small fets would be able to drive? Maybe enought for most modern inputs, but I wouldn´t try to load this preamp with one of the old tube varimu compressors or LA2A, 1176, or any other 600ohms transformer coupled vintage gear most people praise in this forum. I always think about low output impedance as an important feature in a mic preamp, because most of the time, it will be going directly to a compressor before tracking.

The output buffers could be moded for a stronger drive.

J3 and J4 are buffers TO THE next stage....this is a 2 stage preamp with each stage having fixed gain....maybe I should complete the design so it can be properly understood.
Preamp.jpg

Here we are, try this out.

Analag

With all the requirements and specifications and expectations, this project will never get done. Thanks to this forum I have realized just how ridiculous people can get. I myself have been slacking off a lot because of this DIY crazy madness.

[quote author="analag"]With all the requirements and specifications and expectations, this project will never get done. Thanks to this forum I have realized just how ridiculous people can get. I myself have been slacking off a lot because of this DIY crazy madness.[/quote]

LOL. Welcome to the FORUM.

Have you ever seen some people who are on medication...they take a pill for a back pain, and a pill to offset the side effect from the pill they took for the back pain and a pill to offset the side effect from the pill they took for the pill they took to offset the effect from the pill they took....well such is Solid State electronics if you're not careful.

Analag

I don't think it is about knowing too much or too little. It is about motivation and interest. Some like to listen in and learn something, or just want to sit by to entertain their minds.

You have the motivation so you do it. You are the man! :grin:

Cheers,
Tamas

Just a quick comment: this thread started out as a survey to find out what people wanted in a mic pre. It did not have the title Brad's Ultimate Mic Pre, or The Great Forum Mic Pre.

That it has generated this much interest, and stimulated a lot of thought and even some design and breadboarding, is great and should be encouraged.

And I am still interested in coming up with a design that will incorporate at least most of the requests, especially those of Stamler. Those also happen to be the most stringent. As well I have my own favorite circuit parameters to optimize, some of which have been alluded to in other threads, for example attention to thermals and voltage-dependent capacitance effects.

[quote author="analag"]
Preamp.jpg

[/quote]
What? S M A R T people???
Is it PREAMP? seems to be kind of ultralinear
line amp.
where I was five years old, I had drawn similar schematics.
Yes, without optimality and without sense, but I loved to draw.
like a child. Really.
Now, I am engineer. And I know, that somewhere optimality
is not in the linearity and topology depends on purpose.
And to draw pictures with transistors only because they are nice ????

Yes, it can be modern kind of art, some electronic schematic abstract
draw. Paint it in the oil to the canvas 2 X 2 meters.
you will have a success, maybe after your death...

xvlk

Heh. You can interpret Chris' post as a tounge-in-cheek comment as much as an expression of gratitude. If you could look into his eyes you could tell, but this is just the internet. :wink:

Latest posts

Back