Triad HS- series transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Hi Guys,

I work for Triad Magnetics, formerly Triad Transformer. We have been seriously considering reviving some old catalog audio transformers. I have been tasked with determining which of these items make most sense to reissue. There seems to be an awful lot of talk regarding the HS series on this forum. Any ideas of specific part numbers that would be worth reissuing? Obviously and unfortunately I have to look at this from a business perspective and make decisions based on profitability so please keep that in mind when you make suggestions. You can also contact me privately via email at [email protected].

Regards,

Travis Tingley

hi travis,
i'm new at this stuff, but maybe you could first view this page:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6518&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
it might give you an idea of where to start in your search for reissues.

i for one am glad that triad magnetics is taking an interest in reissuing audio trannies. possibly our local "hammer of deconstruction"- transformer guru cj
(chris) could step in and make some suggestions as he would know better than most. i think it would be a good idea to look at the LAtoA project especially since the guys are planning something similar (for now called the LAtoB) maybe something LAtoB specific?
regards,
grant
edit: i always mess up the url link thing! :evil:

Tell me I died last night and went to heaven. Triad wants to remake the HS stuff. Yeah right. A little too much fun last night I guess. I fell off my bike an am in a coma, right?
Holy Cow!

You might want to check with Magnequest, I thought he bought the rights, or som e of them. for Triad transformers. Maybe it's just Peerless, I don't knnow.

The HS 50 and HS 52 would be at the top of my list.

Then of course the HS-56.

cj

Some of the J series would also be cool, as a low cost alternative...

A11J, A12J, A14J, A15J, A68J, A69J, A58J, A65J, A78J, A40J, A41J, A52J, A57J, A67J.... Those are nice little ones...

S24A, S80E and S60A would be nice for vari mu compressor outputs, like RCA BA6A or Gates Sta-Level...

G-48 specs looks really nice for a low cost small mic input transformer, if you can make it cheap, and if one can live with a -10dbm mic input...

HS1, HS11, HS3, HS4, HS14, HS80, HS50, HS60, HS61, HS56, HS66, HS58, HS52... all are usefull for us...

I don´t have the HSM series specs. would be nice to have a look. I know there is good stuff on the HSM series...

The types used in the classics, that CJ pointed above are high priority.

CJ, I was referred to this site by Stephen Haselton... he said you were the guru. I'd love to speak with you regarding this project, shoot me an email at my listed email address if you would be so kind.

I happened on a deal of surplus HS series transformers and as I recall
they were an HS 51 or 52 and I sold out of them within a week as soon
as people found out I had them. This will be a good thing if it happens.
Triad, UTC and Peerless are the transformers I look for.
Steve @ Apex Jr.

I talked to Travis on the phone, the nice guy that he is, and I conveyed my feeling that if Triad were to do the HS line, they should do it as close to the original as possible, no short cuts, like nylon bobbins etc. Because, if you are going to call it a Triad HS, you may as well do it like the original. I think people would be willing to pay a little extra for the real deal, as opposed to a non original version that sold for less.
After all, there are still a lot of options of current production transformers, such as line in, mic in, so why bother doing something that is already available.

Plus, if they did do a HS-50, and I opened it up, and found a nylon bobbin and varnish on the lams, there will be heck to pay, right?
:razz:

I also told him that we here, at the Lab, are some of the cheapest people on the planet, so if a high dollar vintage line did come out from Triad, we might be the last ones to buy it! But we represent a small percentage of the potential market, so the transformers would probably still sell elsewhere, since they have the name, the blueprints, etc.

Concur or no?

Triad moved their Southern California office to Perris.
They are working with customers regarding custom and modification of existing designs.

I'm afraid what the prices would be for modern versions of HS transformers made historically correct, considering the specialized labor, parts and low demand. I wonder who Steve Jackson gets his iron for the modern Pultecs from?

Ed Wolfrum of Motown and the "Wolfbox" DI fame claims that the sound of at least the "A" series Triad iron came from using molybdinum in the core. Evidently, "moly" has become hard to come by due to the health hazards of mining it. If so, any repros Triad might try to make might not have the same core alloy anyway. I tested some A-10js against an HS-273p and they tested identically, so I'll bet the cores were similar.  If the moly story is true, I sure wouldn't give a kidney for a repro that didn't have an identical core alloy.

Funny, because when I was a kid every BMX bike had a "Chromolly" frame. Might have to find some old diamondbacks and melt em down.  ;)

http://www.audiographicservices.com/wolfbox.html

BT

MPP (Molypermalloy Powder) cores are still readily available from various sources, Although most (if not all) of the ones I've seen are toroids.

I'd guess the material is probably available in other shapes, But I have no idea whether the alloy blend is the same or not.

rackmonkey said:
Funny, because when I was a kid every BMX bike had a "Chromolly" frame. Might have to find some old diamondbacks and melt em down.  ;)

Now that is what I call proper DIY!  ;D

Back