Trident a range pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Earl,

yes they left Germany today, so should be with us very soon, sorry for delay, but every thing you do is always 2 steps fwd 1 step back, but we are almost there now..

cool!

Pete

Hi all, Boards in, looking good, ill build one up over the weekend.

(please this thread is not a feeler, once we have the WM add up in a few weeks, lets do it there..)

;)

pcb.jpg

Wow! Nice looking boards. Very cool.

I don't know about that EQ section. I took a look at the schematic awhile back. Looks pretty crazy!

Just finished my 8ch preamp. Sounds perfect. No noise, cristal clear. And one advice - do not experiment with cheap tx. I compared sowter and Neutrik NTE10 - no luck. Sowter killed nte10. So 7x sowter tx are pending in my basket :)
front.jpg

top.jpg

side.jpg

hey nice build, very compact! ours is the same size for one!

but then again we do have more on it,

Re the Eq, nah not so crazy, its ok, i have it figured, just need to get the inductors made, i have had to calculate the inductors from the info on the diagram as their values are not marked, but we will have to see if they work out to be correct..but im a while away from cracking on with the EQ, have a few other jobs to finish first..

Pete

I have a schematic of a discrete trident eq  , it's on huge
blueprinting paper , I'll check the model
not sure it's anything good ???

BTW for short distances it is better to keep the preamp and other equipment (except the mic input) unbalanced. I am building the GSSL now and I will be happy to bypass the two unbalancing opamps = less noise for my setup. That is why HiFi is unbalanced. Versatility = low quality. The trident preamp balancing stage adds 4 more transistors = much more noise and distortion.

DIY is better than more versatile stock - it is exact for your setup :)

There was not a big difference on drums, but today I recorded vocals and the difference is really HUGE:
http://mixperience.net/samples/shootouts/trident_a_range_vs_n12/vox/
test.wav and test2.wav contains short phrases from n12 and trident preamps in one file to emphasize the difference. The interesting is that it cannot be achieved by using EQ - transients maybe.It is Senn e835. I am still afraid to connect AKG C414 XLS  :)

BTW I have more optimized PCB layout with all stages, except voltage regulators. If interested please PM me.

WOW Amazing transients on hihat compared to n12 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEzazlFauio

Sure, fingers crossed - look here and in the WM at the end of the week,

I think the build manual is just being finished now, I need to test what has been built this last week, hopefully get to that mid next week, all being well we will get them out there..

sorry for the delay, what with every one involved being so busy it makes it painfully slow.

Pete

Hi Kquick,

thanks for posting, well it tested just fine! recorded some electric guitars with it as I was doing some anyway..sounded great! I will do some vocals with it next week.

So, I have just set up a the paypal thing so we can recieve payment, once that has been confirmed we can start selling them..job done...fingers crossed next week...

Pete

I ordered 8 sowters and the unit is almost completed. The results are incomparable with my yamaha n12 preamps - no hum, amazing clarity and frequency band, incomparable transients - it cannot be achieved by EQ. I tried.

Cool! Transformers are here  ;)
inside.jpg

Earl -

PM me, if you are desperate i can help you out and get you going..

Yes it is ready, I wanted to get one boxed and take a few pics so we have some thing to show, other than a PCB and parts sprawled about the place! ;)

Back