Trident a range pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not be of any interest to you, but I am doing a parts kit to support this release.

If not, I'm sure Pete will post a BOM as soon as the boards are listed for sale.

The sample arrived today of an A-Range design I've been working on... going to build it up and try it out!
It has the mic and line amps with switchable full EQ. I included a phantom and pad switch on the left for the mic input. I used grayhill switches for reliability and ease of assembly and included components to use all 6 positions available on the grayhill in the EQ if desired (going from 4 freq to 6 freq per band). The EQ faders have dual footprints for using different pots. The EQ has high and low pass, low, mid, mid high, and high, just like the original. An output fader is last on the far right. All in 1U enclosure. No 500 series for this one!

Attachments

• TridentPCB.JPG
    TridentPCB.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 490
dmp said:
The sample arrived today of an A-Range design I've been working on... going to build it up and try it out!
It has the mic and line amps with switchable full EQ. I included a phantom and pad switch on the left for the mic input. I used grayhill switches for reliability and ease of assembly and included components to use all 6 positions available on the grayhill in the EQ if desired (going from 4 freq to 6 freq per band). The EQ faders have dual footprints for using different pots. The EQ has high and low pass, low, mid, mid high, and high, just like the original. An output fader is last on the far right. All in 1U enclosure. No 500 series for this one!

Wow that looks terrific!!

dmp , the boards Do look good , But, you're dumping in someone else's thread eh ?
, or maybe not , still , it Looks like it'll be a full 1RU

Note to all pcb designers , choosing a base color that is a good contrast to make
screening easier to see , helps insure success [ hint ]

kquick said:
Does any one have a legible A range schematic they could share?

I have a hard copy that needs to be scanned.  Just have not had time yet.  I will post to the group email account when done.  It's certainly not perfect, but with the others around, one can figure it out.

On another note, does this build use a single ended output like the original, or are you going to use a transformer?  If the XF, which one? 

The board certainly looks great!  What frequencies did you add?

Best,
Bruno2000

wow, that is a great looking PCB, and EQ too! gee that is wonderful work.

Well as far as we are concerned, boards are available now, i am putting up a WM add in the next hour or so.

If any one just needs the mic amp then our board will do just fine, if you need EQ then go with DMP's board, looks like it will be great.

Best
Pete

also here is my working prototype..

t8.jpg

why not both boards? I'd like a bunch of the just preamp ones to throw in that console chassis I have, and I'd also like 2 of DMP's boards to make rack mount versions I can travel with.

I have a hard copy that needs to be scanned.  Just have not had time yet.  I will post to the group email account when done.  It's certainly not perfect, but with the others around, one can figure it out.

Bruno2000
    Thank You!  Could you post when it is there.  Thanks Again.

Grand Master Audio
    Will you be offering cases as well?  Will your PCB's be part of the kit Ptownkid will be selling, or should I order the boards from you?
And what about a BOM in case I decided to go that way instead of a kit. 

Coupla' questions:

I'm going to use individual power supplies for each channel, in keeping with the original design. Can I assume the 15va transformer is good to supply two channels or should I go for 30va?

Is the 1.5K resistor in the line amp also for future use and can be ignored for now?

I can't seem to locate a tiny 2x22V transformer. Anyone know where to find one?

Thanks!  Can't wait to hear these...

Answered in White Market thread and copied here:

Hi Bobine,

15VA is perfect for upto two boards, so fine in your case.

indeed the 1.5k is not on the schematic, but because originaly the mic amp does not interface the line amp directly, as for other gubbins in the way such as the EQ, so the 1.5k is there just to correctly match the two circuits together properly.

Hfe is not is not critical, but if you want to, If you can get them close in value to each other then why not.

try this for a 22v 1.6VA TX

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2786813

hope that helps,

best
Pete

Latest posts

Back