Tube phonostage RIAA design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also try Belton sockets (Google "9 Pin Belton Tube Socket Solder Mount w Shield Base Micalex 75 Chassis Hole"). They are a bit more expensive but far better IMO than the Chinese ceramic types that have been mostly used lately and quickly lose elasticity and good contact.

moamps said:
You can also try Belton sockets (Google "9 Pin Belton Tube Socket Solder Mount w Shield Base Micalex 75 Chassis Hole"). They are a bit more expensive but far better IMO than the Chinese ceramic types that have been mostly used lately and quickly lose elasticity and good contact.

Thanks for jogging my memory. Belton are the PCB mounting screened ones I have that are very stiff fitting. Have you used them yourself?

Thinking about it, for a one off project I might just as well use regular chassis mount shielded connectors as you suggest and connect the pins by short wires to the PCB. The socket holes on those connectors look to be the split type rather than the solid type I see on the PCB mounting versions.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Belton are the PCB mounting screened ones I have that are very stiff fitting. Have you used them yourself?
I use regular Belton sockets all the time, the last time I used them was when I recently serviced Tim De Paravicini amplifier and preamplifier. And I am very pleased. I haven't used the shielded PCB version so far.

moamps said:
I use regular Belton sockets all the time, the last time I used them was when I recently serviced Tim De Paravicini amplifier and preamplifier. And I am very pleased. I haven't used the shielded PCB version so far.

If only the PCB version used the same type of pins as the chassis mounting type. Why on earth did they change them??
Oh, well.

Cheers

ian

I've used this type (the PCB,Gold variant) a couple of times when I needed extra shielding, works well, easy to interface to existing designs..

55mm-Aluminium-Vacuum-tube-shield-with-9-pin-Ceramic-Tube-Sockets-for-12AX7-12AT7-12AU7-ECC83.jpg_200x200.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812417593.html

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
I've used this type (the PCB,Gold variant) a couple of times when I needed extra shielding, works well, easy to interface to existing designs..

55mm-Aluminium-Vacuum-tube-shield-with-9-pin-Ceramic-Tube-Sockets-for-12AX7-12AT7-12AU7-ECC83.jpg_200x200.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812417593.html

/Jakob E.

How well do these work with current production tubes? I have found the Belton ones are extremely hard to get in and out. NOS tubes are not so bad but current production is very very difficult?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back