U87 without imput cap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LevinGuitar

Last edited:
C4 protects the fet in case of arcing. The voltage across the capsule is relatively high, the distance tiny, and diaphragm vibrate. People have reported this happen.

Also in the period when u87 was designed they didn't care about absolute minimal bom. Reliability in broadcasting was imperative.

If you want to take the risk...
In the case of the MXL, it will lower the (already low) polarisation voltage, because the gate of the FET isn't at ground potential.

Fwiw i did a null test with and without the cap, recorded same exact source with no change in position or level. Pink noise and audio canceled when adjusted for volume. I couldn't hear any difference either.

I removed it from several modded mics with tests before/after and for my ears there was a difference, same with tube mics. Will tell if have any problem with the FET someday.

Thank you again!

Interesting to note that Schoeps didn't bother with the extra cap and 1G resistor to protect the FET on their famous CMC5 circuit.
http://recordinghacks.com/images/mic_extras/schoeps/cmc5-schematic.gifThey did add protection diodes across the output emitter followers though....
Looks like they considered damage to the output transistors from 'hot plugging' more likely than damage to the FET from 'arcing' ?.....

Back