Unemployed Again

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter

The project got cancelled, so my contract was terminated. I am an electronics technician and this is a volatile industry. I had been working as an Engineering tech. The last project had me learning how to program an Arduino to control an automated test fixture. I guess that used up all my brain cells because I was unable to describe what I used an o-scope for during an interview last week. I have used an o-scope a couple times in the last two years, so I am definitely not up to speed. I had two painfully agonizing interviews where they ask, repeatedly, and know what they want to hear, and I just can't give them the answer. As an Engineering tech I performed whatever task was thrown at me, so I never really did one thing long enough to be an expert at talking about it. The last interview was unbelievable. They liked my resume, and didn't know what to ask. Another Engineering tech position. It seems like it's more about personality than qualifications. The personality of the interviewer. Next week I'm interviewing for a company that does deep space mining. I did not know about that industry. Probably volatile...

Working with automated test should be good electronics industry experience.

Engineers are notorious for having bad communication skills while a technician who supports those engineers needs to communicate effectively.

I feel like unemployment for skilled workers is lower than unskilled. It also helps being willing to relocate to where the jobs are. Many businesses have opening for skilled workers that they can not fill.

Good luck

JR

If you don't fit the exact slot they have to fill it's NEXT! time.  I went for so many prototyping job interviews back in 2006 and no matter what finished prototypes I could show, mechanical or electronical, if they weren't in the field I was interviewing it was NEXT!  They look for creative people yet interview with a dearth of creativity.  So often they don't really know what the position entails.
Get on a scope and back to some interviews!
Mike

Having been in that position last year and not for a long period of time. Stay atop of what you do. Show how your more them capable of learning new things. I landed my new gig because I went into the interview and showed them a before and after picture of a console aux master section. The before being the blown up destroyed not working section missing traces and the after being the completely working with necessary jumpers and so forth.  It helps to let as many people you know your looking, a lot of jobs these days, in our industry, seem to get started because someone you know recommends you for an interview. 

FWIW UA is looking for a service manager and harmon Kardon is looking for a service manager. Both would require you to relocate I think.  Might be time to move...

If I had an engineering degree I could apply to design Ampeg Bass amps, That would be a dream job and I wouldn't have to move. I'm feeling good about my last interview for the lab tech position, and I've got another interview tomorrow, I just get anxious during down time.

walter said:
If I had an engineering degree I could apply to design Ampeg Bass amps, That would be a dream job and I wouldn't have to move. I'm feeling good about my last interview for the lab tech position, and I've got another interview tomorrow, I just get anxious during down time.

Do you play bass? IMO having a good ear (Knowing what a bass amp should sound like) is at least as important as an engineering degree... While the EE is probably considered an entrance requirement, do not give up so easily if you believe you can do the job well.

JR

Do you play bass? IMO having a good ear (Knowing what a bass amp should sound like) is at least as important as an engineering degree... While the EE is probably considered an entrance requirement, do not give up so easily if you believe you can do the job well.

JR

Absolutely! 
Some of the best engineers I've ever had the privilidge to work with have not been graduates... a few years ago I appointed a guy to an engineering role who had left school at 16 ...he won against guys with top honours from good schools because he was inquisitive, self motivated and had a desire to learn and solve problems.  He's still doing a great job and nobody is aware that he isn't a graduate....In the UK the degree filter is often just a way for HR departments to be seen to be adding value.
I was laid off in December but have been fortunate to get a new gig....which without the encouragement of friends I wouldn't have applied for as I was getting into a negative mind set about my own abilities and value.
Your best asset is yourself.....If you can go Ampeg with great ideas about great bass amps...that bass players will want, you should be able to get past the EE filter (if they care about thier products and customers)
Go for it!

I'm not sure Loud does care about their product or customers. Designing products for mass production in China, not so appealing, Having been a repair tech, I would want to design equipment that is serviceable and works far after it goes out of fashion. Most equipment made today is designed to assemble cheaply and look good to sell quickly, and function until the next season's styles are introduced. And...my job search is done, I have a new contract with the same mega corporation in a different lab across the street. I guess I'll build Bass Amps when I retire...

Aaaaaand....That job didn't last Two years.  Someone in corporate decided it would be a good idea to limit the duration of employment for contract workers, that someone is no longer there btw. My end date was to be December 31st so I wanted to line up another gig for January 1st. Who hires January 1st? I had to go for it and now I'm running an AP system one helping bring up hi-fi stereo amps. The engineer I'm supporting formerly designed Ampeg bass amps, small world.

Now that job didn't last Three weeks! They say they want someone with AP experience, but I suspect there may be another reason. I was picking it up, but not fast enough for their deadlines. I had fun everyday, it seemed like a dream job building amps. Between the wretched commute and the impending deadline I was stressed out constantly. I had a few days where I would go in and start working in a frenzy and get results, some results not so good, but that's how you learn. I helped build a dummy load box with 16 8ohm loads switchable to 2 2ohm loads and everything in between. It was supposed to be done, but I spent an extra day troubleshooting it, I had fun that day, I like troubleshooting. It feels like they hired me as a scapegoat because they knew they weren't going to make their deadline, I'll never know. I thanked my manager for allowing me the opportunity to work there and left humbly. Now it's on to whatever's next.

Are there any job opportunities in the industry selling the robotic order takers that will replace minimum wage workers in fast food. Somebody will need to install and service that equipment.

JR

PS: check out  Ziosk, Presto E la carte, Snap, This industry will be growing and stick around. Not sure at this early stage who the winners will be.

I went back to my previous employer with an extension on the contract. I did get a call back about a position at Ossia, a company that is developing wireless charging, something that sounds exciting and will be big, imagine never having to change your stop box batteries again. I wouldn't mind building and repairing automats, but I don't know of any local companies. The biggest vending machine I have seen was in a subway in Switzerland, it included groceries. I stopped by a local robotics assist company "They shall walk", but they only employ students and volunteers. The only other robotics positions I have seen are for motorized water and sewer valve work. I'll hang in here at the mega corporation, it's comfortable for now. But I will keep looking for something with a reasonable commute for the day I do get laid off.

Back