Universal Passive EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ian,
    have you considered adding the possibility to use different inductors(different footprint), like the ones from ChrioN's for example, like you did with transformers for the eurochannel pcb.

Regards,

Pierre

anjing said:
Hi Ian,
    have you considered adding the possibility to use different inductors(different footprint), like the ones from ChrioN's for example, like you did with transformers for the eurochannel pcb.

Regards,

Pierre

The thought had crossed my mind but I have not yet done anything about it. I will look into it.

Cheers

Ian

Here's a first draft of the PCB layout for the universal EQ. It's a bit ugly right now and needs some tidying up but it does look as though it will fit in a single Eurocard. I have placed an EZ Tube Mixer connector at one end just to see if it fits. If you don't use the connector the PCB has four mounting holes so it could fit easily in a 1U rack for example.

Cheers

Ian

Edit: Oops, forgot the pic!!

Attachments

• unieqpcb1.png
    unieqpcb1.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 206
TimS said:
Hey Ian, doesn't look like the PCB got posted.

Oops! Fixed that. I am going to try to make this as single sided as possible so I can release the layout for those who want to make their own for personal use. I also need to add a footprint for Chrion's inductors.

Cheers

Ian

Here is the latest version of the PCB layout for the Universal EQ. The main changes are the inclusion of a new combined Carnhill/ Chrion inductor footprint and I have managed to move all the signal tracks to one side of the PCB to make it easy for home etchers. The only thing on the other side of the PCB now  is 0V. As I may have mentioned I plan to open source this layout for personal use so I will be making the Gerber files available when it is done.

The inductors are tracked to the Carnhill part of the combined footprint and I have left the Chrion pins unassigned to give people the maximum flexibility.

I have also gone a long way towards making the PCB component idents tie up with the schematic - always a good thing - and with a bit more tweaking it should be just about there. The only other thing I might do is bring out some of the pins of the (optional) 32 way connector to pads so it is easy to connect into the EZ Tube Mixer project.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• unieqpcb2.png
    unieqpcb2.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
I think the PCB is now finished. I have tidied up various bits, rationalised the connector numbering, corrected a few errors, added connections to the optional 32 way connector and added an optional resistor RP across the Helios style low cut so it can be made shelving if desired.

We now need to talk about how this PCB is made available. As I mentioned before I am happy to 'open source' the PCB layout and I have managed to get all the signal tracking on one side to assist this. The only thing on the other side is a 0V plane. So can the home etchers please chime in about the form they would like to get the Gerbers? I don't know if an earth plane is easy or a PITA. If it is a pain then I can easily do a version with the 0V tracked in the normal manner rather than as a plane.  Let me know what you would like.

For those who don't want to make their own PCB I am happy to do a group buy at cost  in the black market if there is enough interest. Once the group buy is done I'll offer the PCB on my white market page.

Cheers

Ian

Edit: oops forgot the pic of the final PCB.

Attachments

• uniEQpcb3.png
    uniEQpcb3.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 87
Hi Ian!
    I'll take  at least 2, maybe six. I might change to this eq rather then the older 3 band pultec...your going to fast! It's hard to adapt.
    I really love that you have included the chrion footprint. I love the carnhill but to order those to canada, i get prohibitive shipping costs.

Regards,

Pierre

Interested in GB here....

how about an adapter board that lets us connect .1" pin headers\ribbon cable to a grayhill switch

shabtek said:
Interested in GB here....

how about an adapter board that lets us connect .1" pin headers\ribbon cable to a grayhill switch

That's a very good idea which you and I have discussed in the past. I think I even did rough PCB layout. I will check my files.

Cheers

Ian

excellent;can this adapter board double as a dummy stepped switch\potential divider

---would require an extra pad or 2 per position

thats close--can that second pole be made available,
and an extra pad per throw--maybe a 3rd row of 0.1" to accommodate daisychaining resistors.

i like where this is going

shabtek said:
thats close--can that second pole be made available,
and an extra pad per throw--maybe a 3rd row of 0.1" to accommodate daisychaining resistors.

i like where this is going

Right now it's tracked to work with the 16 way header used in the universal EQ for the three inductor based EQ sections. But, there are also four RC sections that use only a 10 way header so I am looking at how to include these too.

To bring out the other wiper should quite straightforward - probably connect it to the spare pair of pins. Adding an extra row of 0.1 spaced pins enroute so to speak should be OK too.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
As a person who would love to do at least one home etch to test in my EZTube Mixer protochannel, I can say that I would rather do a single sided board.
I'm not opposed to tryin a dual sided but I've never done one so...
Also, Looking at the PCB pics you posted I don't see the ground plane so I can't gauge how difficult it might be to line up the 2 sides (during development of the resist).

Just my .02,
Dave

wave said:
Hi Ian,
As a person who would love to do at least one home etch to test in my EZTube Mixer protochannel, I can say that I would rather do a single sided board.
I'm not opposed to tryin a dual sided but I've never done one so...
Also, Looking at the PCB pics you posted I don't see the ground plane so I can't gauge how difficult it might be to line up the 2 sides (during development of the resist).

Just my .02,
Dave

On the picture I posted the ground plane is shown as the red rectangle - everything inside it is the ground plane.

I will do an open source version without the ground plane and I will track the 0V points together on the other side of the PCB. Then, if you want to do a single sided version you can just hand wire the points together on the non etch side of the PCB. When it is done I'll post the Gerbers as a zip file on my web page.

Cheers

Ian

Back