Universal Passive EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that quite a few people have Universal EQ PCBs in their hands you will be wanting to work out inductor and capacitor values for your projects. To help with this I have written a short document explaining how to work out these values from your design parameters:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/docs/EzTubeMixer/UniversalEQ/PCB/InductorCalcs.pdf

I will follow it up in a few days with one covering the the RC sections of the EQ.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Now that quite a few people have Universal EQ PCBs in their hands ...

I really want to do this awesome project justice by building an EQ with it!

The Uni-EQ is crazy flexible, so to make it possible to answer my questions my project is to take a few sections and combine them to create an EQ that has various controls for various bands and functions attempting to minimize the interaction between the bands and functions.

I now understand that the PCB has 6 unconnected building blocks (plus a pad for constructing a bypass switch). ( and rereading the posts with that knowledge some of the posts make much more sense to me). I think I can make an EQ from it but I have some questions (please forgive the names I have given things, and that some questions are more conceptual than implementation specific):

1) It seems like each section can be an attenuator EQ by itself  (with the possible addition of a 10K load to ground at it's start, like is done in the "In-A" section), is that right?
2) It seems like when combining sections there are three types to consider:  The "In-A" section, the "B-C" sections and D sections.  Does that make sense? 
3) Regarding choosing parallel or series to combine sections: I see why the In-A can't be parallel to any other section because it passes all frequencies unattenuated and selectively attenuates so it would function as a bypass.  But I am curious as to whether it matters if it is the first stage in the EQ?  (it has the 10K input load resistor so clearly it is most convenient for it to be first but as a concept could it be anywhere in series?) 
4) I understand from your post that all the B-C sections can be paralleled, is that correct? And that to avoid interactions they should operate in different bands, but I am interested in the interaction we are avoiding. Is it that they might partially bypass each other if they shared frequency bands?
5) The D sections seem sort of special. If I use Both D sections, I should connect E1 to E2 to create a combined section, but either D section can also stand alone.  And in all cases, the D section is connected in series with the rest of the EQ?  Is that right?
6) Conceptually again could the D section be anywhere in the series of stages in an EQ?
7) (reupdated) Is there any guidance as to how much resistance or attenuation occurs in each series sections?  I understand from the Inductance calculations document that some of these form a voltage divider with an output load resistor, but where is that load resistor?  I assume that a standalone shunting section would also act as a voltage divider?
Eight) Practically, if I connect:
A, B1, B2, and B3 together.
C1, C2, C3, D1 and D2 together.
E1 to E2 together.
And I populate everything with reasonable values keeping the B-C sections in different bands.  And I connect in the bypass and pad sections somehow. And I add some sort of makeup gain, connectors, power, pots and parts.  Would then I have an EQ that would do Hi Shelf, Lo Shelf, Low Cut, Lo Boost, Hi, Low and Mid boost? Would this have so much attenuation that noise would be a problem, or is the problem just a place to put all the knobs and switches?

Pultec kept the MEQ separate from the EQP-1, I always assumed it was a noise issue... but maybe it was marketing or space issue.

I wanted to do something more tricky than populating a board and putting it in a chassis and it looks like I have found it! I'm looking at the PCB and the document above and wondering how to do everything.

You said the 2 low boosts wouldn't live together in the first post; In the document above, this would refer to the low boost related to VR3 and the Low/Mid Boost/cut (VR6 circuit)?

So you would e.g. leave out the VR3 circuit and keep everything else?

ramshackles said:
I wanted to do something more tricky than populating a board and putting it in a chassis and it looks like I have found it! I'm looking at the PCB and the document above and wondering how to do everything.

You said the 2 low boosts wouldn't live together in the first post; In the document above, this would refer to the low boost related to VR3 and the Low/Mid Boost/cut (VR6 circuit)?

So you would e.g. leave out the VR3 circuit and keep everything else?

Thanks for your question. It reminds of something I said that was not 100% accurate.

The Hi boost with L1 (VR4) and the Lo/Mid boosts/cuts (VR6/VR8) should avoid using identical frequencies because they all obtain boost by frequency selectively shorting the parallel combination of VR4VR6/VR8 and produce a bell shaped response. As i says in the document, if these do have coincidental frequencies you get no more bost but you will get a sharper resonse.

The Lo Boost (VR3) works in a different way and produces a shelving response, by increasing the impedance between the bottom of VR2 and ground. It is possible for the VR3 boost frequency to coincide with a Lo Mid boost, for example, which will result in combination of the two different responses but it will not be the expected sum of those responses since the maximum boost is limited to the nominal attenuation. What is likely to happen is that the boost will be applied more quickly but will be no greater than the boost of either control. In other words you will get little or no extra boost but you may well alter the shape of the boost curve.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks a lot. So I could simply wire it up like you have shown in your diagram (in the pdf) and this would give all 7 filter sections as long as the sections wired in parallel do not have overlapping frequencies?

My thoughts at the moment are to miss off one of the sections as this will make it simpler to fit on the front panel, but determining/deciding which one is a thinker...

ramshackles said:
Thanks a lot. So I could simply wire it up like you have shown in your diagram (in the pdf) and this would give all 7 filter sections as long as the sections wired in parallel do not have overlapping frequencies?

My thoughts at the moment are to miss off one of the sections as this will make it simpler to fit on the front panel, but determining/deciding which one is a thinker...

Yes, you can fit all 7 sections if you wish. Provided you watch overlapping bands you should be OK.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Ian

Hello everyone, today is my first look at the group ... I would like to recreate the high and low pass filters EMI Echo unit RS106 control. Ie adjustable band pass filter .
It can be done with varying frecunecia . I would like to connect before my console preamp .
Thanks for your time.
Regards.
Juani.-

Juanifellay said:
Hello everyone, today is my first look at the group ... I would like to recreate the high and low pass filters EMI Echo unit RS106 control. Ie adjustable band pass filter .
It can be done with varying frecunecia . I would like to connect before my console preamp .
Thanks for your time.
Regards.
Juani.-

I have not been able to find much information about the RS106 on the net. However, it does appear to be a cut only unit. It has a low cut section and a hi cut section. The frequency of each section is selectable and apparently an attenuation of up to 50dB can be obtained. I can find no information about the steepness of the cut but given the ability to set as much as 50dB cut, I suspect some sort of constant K or M derived filter is used.

Cheers

Ian

@ruffrecords Ian, I know this project is (sadly) long-dead, but I was hoping to at least revisit (and maybe resurrect?) all the great work you did on the circuit and the pcb. Unfortunately, it looks like your site is down and the docs are unavailable. Could you (or anyone else) share the final schematic, calculations, and configurations documents?

Also, do you still have any extra pcbs lying around by any chance? Thanks!

@ruffrecords Ian, I know this project is (sadly) long-dead, but I was hoping to at least revisit (and maybe resurrect?) all the great work you did on the circuit and the pcb. Unfortunately, it looks like your site is down and the docs are unavailable. Could you (or anyone else) share the final schematic, calculations, and configurations documents?

Also, do you still have any extra pcbs lying around by any chance? Thanks!
You may have followed a link to my old web site. Sadly I lost access to that when I changed ISP (but for some strange reason the web based email still works)

Anyway my new website is www.customtubeconsoles.com and all the docs are under the DIY tab

Unfortunately all the PCBs are long gone. However, the Gerber files are on the website so you can easily get some made for yourself.

Cheers

ian

I have some of Ian's 3 band Pultec EQ and buffer boards. I got them from a member here but I shelved the project. I also have some of his mipcre and power supply boards.

Back