UREI 1178 fet distortion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are sampling artifacts that are distracting, no dither either.

The problem you describe is not related to the CD format at all, but due to the A/D converters used, or the way it was transfered into digital or the lack of dither.
The CD format is not guilty if someone put crap into it

I can hear the differences between all the formats. It's usually the most glaring in the top 3-4 octaves.

I agree with that, but in the lower octaves also.
With viny I feel there's no representation of the last 2 octaves and also not much in the last higher octave. Very limited frequency response, my Ears and Brain are able to perceive much more than what vinyl is able to reproduce.

I can say this I'll take the vinyl version of Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard over any cd

I'm the opposite I'll take any CD version of an album over any Vinyl, Cassette, Mini-Disc version of the same album.

I completely agree it's a conversation to another thread,
but you were the one that talked about the CD format in an Urei 1178 thread...
I will not digress further
Best regards

Last edited:
If you're going balanced use 2 DPDT relays to TRULY bypass the whole thing. 1 in to 1 out and arrange it so when the relays are not activated it bypasses the comp. Then if it's off it's out of the signal path. Why stick more opamps in the path? Less is more IMSuperHO.
So-called "true" bypass actually changes the interaction between source and receiver impedances, which is very likely to result in frequency response variations. How much of the perceived difference between ON and bypass can be attributed to this frequency response difference or to the processing? Note that compression is often perceived as a loss of high frequencies (actually increasing low frequencies, which in turn mask higher frequencies).
Remember that the primary utility of bypass is not to take a piece of equipment out of the chain; it's a quick but temporary check of the difference between the sound with or without processing.

Last edited:
I have used one relay to perform a hard bypass from input to output so if unit loses power the signal path still ok. This is more of a live sound than studio consideration... The show must go on.

JR

I have used one relay to perform a hard bypass from input to output so if unit loses power the signal path still ok. This is more of a live sound than studio consideration... The show must go on.

JR
This was something that was an option on the Klark teknik DN27 graphic. If the power supply died on unit it would hard bypass so the show could go on ! Not sure how great it would sound if one was using the graphic to null feedback nodes but hey ho.

JR
On most of the gear I designed, I had both a soft and hard bypass. The former connected the output of the input stage to the input of the output stage, and the latter would connect the output connector to the input connector in case of power rail failure. Of course I didn't do it on cross-overs. :)

A common newbie design mistake I've seen inside mixers is EQ or HPF bypass switches that inadvertently reversed polarity. This can make a subtle difference on individual signals and could make more of a difference in complex mixes.

JR

Latest posts

Back