vintage portable radio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelo2979

Hi,
I just thought.. why not post about this here. Simple topic, maybe a  break from common pro stuff  ;D

I have this vintage portable Sony radio I find pleasant to listen to, more then other average radios I have at home. Maybe because it's darker, mid-ranged, like all old vintage stuff.

I was thinking of connecting it to my DACs to use it like an alternate monitoring system.. something in the same auratone philosophy. Then you can listen to radio, switch to daw monitoring, then radio again, cassettes and (maybe) have fun.

Also, I was thinking of feeding the circuit and recording after it (before speakers) to capture the tone, if it really has one..you know, for strange effects maybe, or just because why not.

Please, see the Schematics/documentation in the link below. With my high degree of noobness, I cannot really state what's the proper way to add a stereo Aux input from my DACs - and possibly a stereo out from which to record/capture the sound of the box back in the daw.

Can you help me?

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x2td8tvr8feiwc/hfe_sony_cfs-w308_schematics.pdf?dl=0

Thanks!!

The best place to feed in you DAC is at the volume control. Unfortunately it is soldered to the PCB so the next best thing is to lift the two electrolytics that feed it, C123 and C223. I have attached a sketch showing where to perform the surgery. The red crosses are where you need to break the connections. You need to wire to a DPDT switch. The yellow arrows indicate wires to the common of  each half of the switch and the red wires go to one side of the switch to select radio. The other side of the switch goes to your DACs (I have only shown one DAC input).

Good Luck

Ian

Attachments

• hfe_sony_cfs-w308_schematics.pdf - Dropbox - Google Chrome_003.png
    hfe_sony_cfs-w308_schematics.pdf - Dropbox - Google Chrome_003.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 23
Great, thank you!

so, this way I can get the signal coming from my daw (+4 dbu reference) amplified and played through the small speakers, and the voulme conrtol still is effective. But my signal is balanced..and what about impedence. Any concerns about these?

Also is it possible to feed the box before the preamp (IC 301)? I mean, as it was driven from the cassette player or the tuner board.
That way I could setup an insert in pro tools, and see if it can add some odd harmonic content, or give that nice radio tone..
Of course without breaking the box, hehe.

Back