Weight loss

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matthis, I'm doing measured, drip-fed caloric intake... I'm not a huge fan of gels, but in the past -for multi-century riding (i've done some long randonneur rides; invariably 200km+) I've used Kendall mint cake, (which is largely unheard of in the states) but generally 'Clif' bars (organic oatmeal with dried fruits etc) with LOTS of water... abundant water is absolutely essential in the temperatures over here, but for rides where you'll be a hundred miles or more from your familiar locality, the ability to carry everything you'll need for the entire ride (apart from water, which -since you'll always be near SOME sort of civilization) is important.

Yesterday I tried Ethan's suggestion of a 'pig-out' day: lunch for example was a mainly vegetarian Indian buffet, but with some chicken... The weight doesn't seem to have 'ambushed' me immediately, and I'm giving the cycling a couple of days rest...

Thanks for the input so far... and keep it coming.

JR, your input is golden, and I love reading it. -Long may you rule!

Glad that I am able to share. There is far more to this subject but the simplest advice is the best.

Think in terms of a final target pattern where energy intake and activity level supports your desired weight.  Just start living that way and your body will follow.

Do not deny yourself occasional pleasures, what really matters is your average energy intake, versus average activity level. Daily snacking is bad. Snacking once a week or less will not do much harm. 

JR

when you exercise you will be replacing fat with muscle,

muscle is very dense compared to fat, so you might stay at the same weight but your body fat will be way down,

CJ said:
when you exercise you will be replacing fat with muscle,

muscle is very dense compared to fat, so you might stay at the same weight but your body fat will be way down,

Thats exactly it, but there are a wide range of body types where adding muscle mass will vary and there are more and less efficient digestive systems. If you're body is making good use of the food you eat then the weight may take a while to come off.

If you really want to loose a lot of weight then ride for 6 or 7 days in a row, doing good, long spins and the weight will fall off, your body should feel quite different after that and will have built a high level of endurance. You'll be worrying about eating enough rather than eating too much.

I have already said this but it bears repeating. DO NOT put too much emphasis on short term weight changes.

Yes increasing muscle mass can increase weight vs the same volume of fat, but another benefit from the increased muscle mass is that it consumes energy even at rest so it increases your baseline metabolism or energy break even point. 

It is interesting when people my age brag that they weight the same as they did in HS. When we were teenagers we had lots more muscle, so now weighing the same we are carrying a bunch of fat where there once was muscle.. On the WWW you can find MRI of a typical leg cross-section between young and old. The old man's legs have pockets of fat inside the muscles (like marbling in steak).

Aerobic exercise (like cycling) does not increase muscle mass as much as resistance training would, but it doesn't spike your blood pressure as much either.

JR

[silent:arts] said:
okgb said:
if you want to gain weight , drink beer it makes you invinceable and thus able to actually eat the whole pizza as well!

tried beer [extensive, rock'n'roll style] for years, without any results.

186cm / 60kg for 25+ years.

186cm / 70kg for 30+ years.

I consume fruit in big quantities though.

JohnRoberts said:
Yes increasing muscle mass can increase weight vs the same volume of fat, but another benefit from the increased muscle mass is that it consumes energy even at rest so it increases your baseline metabolism or energy break even point. 

True but it will also increase the likelihood of craving food which could be a battle for some people if the goal is to reduce and maintain their weight.

I'm afraid appetite is far more complex than that. I read a book on the subject about 20 years ago with lots of real medical info... While muscles do not create hunger signals, fat mass actually generates some hormones that are involved in hunger.

The brain is most involved in learning about the caloric content of sundry foods from past experience. We tend to be overweight because it was the fat hunter gatherers who survived the lean times (and reproduced).

Flavors are involved and we crave sweets because when we were evolving fruits were sweet and we needed to eat then to get Vitamin C. Funny how now that sweet tooth has the opposite effect on our nutrition quality. We crave fats for the energy content. Something we learned from eating fats.

and much much more....

JR

Measure your waist ! keep a log of that
Note, some B.P. medicine affect appetite suppression in the body, do some research
also grapefruit can affect response of some B.P. medicine . Pharmacists can add info different
from the Doctor's knowledge & experience , check with both.

Diet is mainly lots of chicken w/rice

Not white rice, I hope? You know about GI Index? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GI_index#Glycemic_Index_of_foods

I try to avoid white *anything* and opt for wholemeal where applicable, i.e. wholemeal pasta, rice, bread etc. If I eat white rice I find myself getting irritable a couple of hours later as my blood sugar drops off a cliff. White bread has a GI Index that's so high it's almost up there with glucose itself. Sweet potato is far preferable to white potato.

BTW - High-GI foods are useful for recovery right after a long bout of exercise, but aside from treats I believe that's the only time they should be eaten

JohnRoberts said:
I'm afraid appetite is far more complex than that. I read a book on the subject about 20 years ago with lots of real medical info... While muscles do not create hunger signals, fat mass actually generates some hormones that are involved in hunger.

It's not only hunger. At least in males increased body fat lowers testosterone and lifts estrogen levels. This in turn again leads to a decrease in muscle mass and increased storage of body fat. It's much easier to break this vicious cycle building up muscle with resistance training added to a change in eating habits and cardio training.

living sounds said:
JohnRoberts said:

It's not only hunger. At least in males increased body fat lowers testosterone and lifts estrogen levels. This in turn again leads to a decrease in muscle mass and increased storage of body fat. It's much easier to break this vicious cycle building up muscle with resistance training added to a change in eating habits and cardio training.

Yes as I mentioned fat generates hormones like a precursor organ. I think ghrelin is indicated as significant for stimulating hunger. I wouldn't wander too far off into the weeds looking for what I call magical solutions. There are no magic foods or easy solutions. Since we are wired to eat as much as we can when food is available, it takes discipline and constant diligence to not over-eat. The good news is we can manage this somewhat with techniques like portion control. Hunger will generally dissipate after several minutes irrespective of how much we eat, so eating slowly can help mitigate finishing a meal and still being hungry. 

I am an advocate of resistance training in combination with aerobic... while as I get older some mild arthritis (?) makes hitting my weight machine pretty unpleasant.

Keith has mentioned that his doctor has advised against heavy weight training (presumably over concerns about BP). Perhaps there is some lower impact versions he can find to help increase lean body mass.

JR

In answer to the question about white rice: -Only really either brown rice (such as I had for lunch yesterday) or Basmati rice (which is a long-grain white rice, though a very nice one). -I have to say that I don't tend to suffer from 'energy crash', certainly.

Yes, the doctor has overriding concerns about BP, hence the admonition to stay away from weightlifting in particular. -Most certainly avoiding the Valsalva maneuver, in any activity.

This week I've not had much chance to cycle any real mieage, owing to a combination of wet weather, scheduling and I won't be able to ride much tomorrow, since my son has a triathlon tomorrow morning. -I'll likely ride the cycle section with him (since it's on public roads, and he's only 10 years old) but I will have to ride well behind (drafting and close riding are prohibited under USAT rules). -That's only 13 miles... -Perhaps I'll get a chance to ride a little more later on in the day. -We'll have to see. -Then possibly I'll find out what effect the 'accidental rest week' has had.

-I find this all fascinating. -The complex, inter-related stuff that's going on all the time without your knowledge or even comprehension, most of the time. -Amazing!

I try to remind myself to breath normally while on the weight machine. Back when I was lifting more aggressively I would hold my breath to get that last ounce of strength, but have since decided the risk from spiking BP is far greater than the benefit of bench pressing an extra 10#.

Good advice for all of us...

JR

between surgery, side effects of BP meds, or weight loss, weight loss seems like the best solution,  low sodium, no smoking, light on the Ginny, oh crap on that one,  :D

re high BP:  It's worth figuring out if you have problems with sleep apnea.  I have been treating my apnea (with a fair degree of success) for about 5 years now.  I no longer take the BP medicine I started on shortly before the apnea was diagnosed, and I feel much better generally.  Also, dealing with sleep apnea (if you have it) will help with weight loss as well. 

1000-1500calories seems incredibly low.  Be careful not to crash your metabolism.  I'd personally stick with strength training to maintain lean body mass while eating at a slight caloric deficit.

Stick with it!  Track everything you're eating, EVERYTHING!!!!

For me personally it's very similar to the bout I had when quitting cigarettes.  You can do it, keep your mind focused on the large picture goals to help motivate you through the day to day!

I'd personally stick with strength training to maintain lean body mass while eating at a slight caloric deficit

More cardio and strength / core + modest calorie deficit is how I did it. It's really a question of sticking with it and not dropping off the wagon. When I show people the photo from 2008 on my phone they can't believe how much fat I've lost...in fact, on occasion the response has been slightly offensive! I found it easier to lose fat around the face / neck than the belly... Losing the extra Michelin has proven the most difficult place to get rid of fat - it's gone everywhere else, but I'm still far from a 6-pack.

thermionic said:
I'm still far from a 6-pack.

Keep dropping the bf % and it will come out.  It won't start showing until well into the teens and a nice 6 about 10-12% YMMV.  Spot reducing body fat isn't possible, for men the lower abs/hips is usually the last stubborn bit to shed off. 

My understanding is that the body sees muscle mass as a liability and will use it for energy if the deficit is too large and or there's little motivation for the body to keep it around (weight training).

Latest posts

Back