Weight loss

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MicDaddy said:
thermionic said:
I'm still far from a 6-pack.

Keep dropping the bf % and it will come out.  It won't start showing until well into the teens and a nice 6 about 10-12% YMMV.  Spot reducing body fat isn't possible, for men the lower abs/hips is usually the last stubborn bit to shed off. 
;D ;D not in my lifetime
My understanding is that the body sees muscle mass as a liability and will use it for energy if the deficit is too large and or there's little motivation for the body to keep it around (weight training).
The human body is constantly remodeling... The old "If you don't use it you lose it" axiom is literally true. Not only do little used muscles atrophy but extreme weight loss can lead to loss of bone thickness and strength. While the body won't consume our bones for energy, we will shed bone mass considered unnecessary. I doubt Keith plans to get that extreme with his weight loss, but the extreme caloric restriction followers have issues especially when older, with low bone mass after years of extreme restriction.

Moderation is good and extreme anything is not...

JR

CJ said:
what would be a good diet if i wanted to get into sumo wrestling?

Baklava

One of the PTs at the running club I run with reckons it's genetically impossible for many people to get a 6-pack - particularly if they start when over the age of 35.

thermionic said:
One of the PTs at the running club I run with reckons it's genetically impossible for many people to get a 6-pack - particularly if they start when over the age of 35.

I'm not surprised if all he does is long-distance running ;).

Hey CJ, You've ridden with a couple of the greats, if I recall...

I imagine you on some sort of lovely old-school steel ride. -Maybe I should start a cycling thread to see what other forum users are riding...

Cycling is a little like Audio, guns etc. -Easy to get into, but quite addictive once you're there, and astonishingly 'deep' in terms of precision and engineering. -Not to mention the ability to empty pockets and drain bank accounts!  ;D

riding an old Vitus  Carbone, which is an Al frame wrapped with carbon fiber paper,

rides like a cadillac compared to a steel frame so good for LSD rides,

(no, not acid, long steady distance)

road in a camp with LeMond for a week, last of the clean riders, running for UCF president,

met Eddie Merckx but he tried to pick up my girlfriend, and he smokes ciggys now, wtf, over?

I've had many types, Tange and Reynolds tubing steel frames, a few aluminium frames, Alloy/bonded carbon, titanium, scandium but the best for me was a monocoq carbon frame. All of the aluminium frames I had which were MTBs cracked, only one steel frame broke, the titanium frame fell apart and the carbon fibre frame was fantastic...except that the bottom bracket threaded insert partially unbonded itself and had to be reamed out and then have a custom made brass replacement fitted. This was all 10 or more years ago though so I imagine the carbon bonding to be a lot better now, the forks steering tube being the most worrying part.

CJ said:
met Eddie Merckx but he tried to pick up my girlfriend, and he smokes ciggys now, wtf, over?
He always did...

tumblr_m8shxoBv2v1ropreyo1_400.jpg

Them were different times!

I think I'lls tart a separate Cycling thread, keep this one more centered around calories and body chemistry.

I got "tricked" into joining a gym, and am glad they got me.
I have been learning from different trainers that for overall benefit you have to keep changing the activity whether it is strength or cardio.  Cycling only will yield diminishing returns strength-wise so break it with a 45 minute walk in zone 2 every few days.  With cardio, time in a zone is what counts rather than miles.  For strength the simple exercises like crunches, pushups, pull-ups, jacks, squats, dips, etc. require no machines. 
I tried the "Yoga for Dummies" rip on youtube and now take a class at least once a week.  An hour of yoga really integrates all the cardio and strength training.  Check with the doc regarding the bp implications.  Yoga is slow and meditative but can really get the machine working.
It really is important that I have the larder filled with good food ready to be eaten.  After any training I can eat a horse (chocolate and salami), so I make sure I have lean meats and finger-food veggies at the ready.
Mike

While this is not really a consideration for weight loss, when extremely active, like when training for running marathon distance, recharging the the depleted gycogen (sugar) in large muscles is a concern. I read years ago the the muscles are most receptive for sugar uptake almost immediately "after" a workout. The old mythology of "carbo-loading" before a race is more of an excuse to pig out than actually productive. The real carbo-loading occurs after our workout. 

Of course for long term maintenance energy balance, how much is more important than when. As we get older recovery takes a little longer too, so spacing hard workouts days apart makes sense IMO.

JR

2nd the yoga angle, there really is a good mind / body connection that makes it easier
to " deal " with things, anything. You could consider it as a stretching workout for your
other workouts and good for regular ills of normal aging and the spine.

Latest posts

Back