What medium are the members of the lab tracking to?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when going analog i prefer Otari 90 mkII 2" or Studer equivalent.

Digital, Soundscape RED32 (x2), Apogee
all at 24 bit 44.1 Khz

Motu 2408MK3 soon with a 24 I/O added so I can get out more separate channels to my upcoming summing unit. 32 ch in, 2 sidechain inserts for parallell processing.

[quote author="soundguy"]Ampex mm1200/16 2", mixing to a 440b 1/4".

no computer. no automation.

dave[/quote]

I can't think of the number of times I've really considered going a route like this. It would be like playing on the old cassette four-track again!

Roland VSR-880 (8-track hard-drive recorder), mixed down to 1/4" analog Tascam two-track. I use the Roland just like a tape machine--all mixing and processing is outside the box, in the analog domain.

For many years, my multitrack was a Teac 1/4" 4-track. I managed to do a lot with only four tracks. Even now, I rarely find myself wanting more than eight.

The Roland is fine--it puts out what I put in, without making it sound noticeably better or worse. I'd rather use a 1/2" or 1" 8-track, but I just don't have the room.

thats just the reality of it, not trying to talk you out of it, but if you own an ampex you will eventually learn every nut and bolt about the machine. In the end, the sound you are trying to make is far more relevant in chosing a format than anything else. If you are trying to do a record that sounds like a late 60's rock record, you'll chase your tail forever working on a computer where with an 8 track you just simply turn it on and you are %50 there...

dave

I do love the way those old records sound...

Getting my hands on a tape machine is probably not too hard. Getting tape, on the other hand, could get expensive really quick.

1/4" tape is still reasonably-priced. It's not feasible for multitracks of more than 4 tracks (avoid 1/4" 8-tracks if you care about sound quality), but a 1/4" mixdown deck could add a little tape flavor to your mixes. The key is that it has to be a well-maintained pro or semipro deck; you're not doing your mix any favors if you print it on an old consumer deck you picked up at a yard sale.

And if you can live with only four tracks for multitrack, you could do a lot worse than something like an old Teac 3340 running Ampex 456 at 15 ips. It doesn't quite measure up to modern S/N standards but sounds fine if you avoid bounces.

Here's my favorite tape dealer:
http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/

G4 Dual 1.33 - Logic Platinum - MOTU 828MKII.

used to have an Otari MX5050 8 track 1/2" (& mixed to an MX5050 2 track 1/4"), its was great back in the day. though its hard to beat the sound of tape, for me its harder to beat the ease & speed of working w/ my DAW...i guess thats why i need to DIY some outboard gear. :wink:

Any thoughts on those Tascam 8-tracks I see around a lot? Those seem to come up on eBay on a regular basis.

Otherwise, I'd given thought to using a decent two-track for my final masters. I'm sure most mastering houses like to see 2-track tape come in.

> What medium are you recording your tracks to? Not the final mix down medium ....

TrackS?

Two mikes. Preamp. Safety limiter. Analog CD recorder. No overdubs, re-takes, nothing.

Rip to PC. Trim and normalize pieces in CoolEdit. Burn to CD in Nero.

Get paid.

Crane Song Spider> Fatso> Lynx AES16> PC running Nuendo

I do want tape for rock and roll stuff though. Just for a big tape compression effects box. I'd take the signal off the repro head to the DAW while I'm tracking.

A 16 track 2" machine is what I'd like to shoot for. All I need is the money to buy one and a place to put it. I've got everything else worked out just fine. :roll:

Latest posts

Back