What medium are the members of the lab tracking to?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes

space can become an issue when your talking 2inch.. and power bills and the cost of stock and maintenance

[quote author="thermionic"]
no computer. no automation.

A man after my own heart! Respect to you Dave - if it sounds right, it is right :thumb:

I track to one of these

Justin[/quote]

I'm with you guys all the way on this. But where are you finding musicians who can record this way?

I'm not having any luck finding them.

[quote author="ytrehalf"]I'm with you guys all the way on this. But where are you finding musicians who can record this way?

I'm not having any luck finding them.[/quote]

Hey Brendan... what about ME?

Just kidding... I know I suck.

Hey, here's a nice Otari for sale down in Montclair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15199&item=3742842640&rd=1

Please buy it so I can come up to your place and track on it :cool:

when going analog i prefer Otari 90 mkII 2" or Studer equivalent.

Digital, Soundscape RED32 (x2), Apogee
all at 24 bit 44.1 Khz

:shock:

don't know why this entered twice???

had a page crashed and all of a sudden, oops sorry,

Tony dB

1/2 inch Tascam 8 track and JVC vcr.
I was hoping that storm would lift the roof off Scenaria's place so I could sneak off with his Studer!

Boxes: V76, LA2a, Pultec MEQ-5, Pultec EQP-1A,
just around the corner: Langevin AM-16, (donated the transformers to Sowter, so now I have to buy a new set), Melcor/API, Valley People, V72, Neve 8:2, SSL, 1176, and then on to mics!

Are you happy with the stability of Ardour? Gadgets don't appeal to me, I look for a stable recorder with many tracks and Ardour looks quite transparent from what I've seen.

Cheers,
Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]Are you happy with the stability of Ardour? Gadgets don't appeal to me, I look for a stable recorder with many tracks and Ardour looks quite transparent from what I've seen.

Cheers,
Justin[/quote]

It's gotten a lot better in the last few months. I haven't really stressed it in a while, though.

[quote author="soundguy"]... if you own an ampex you will eventually learn every nut and bolt about the machine. [/quote]

yes

Dave,
What condition is the head in ?? Have you got a future plan for any Head work ?
... also how is your stocks of parts ?
It's not an easy life looking after these things but the rewards can be great.
I think you should consider a computer for editing and to take the endless strain off the tape deck.
The coputer I/O could live in an insert position (at the patch bay) between the desk and the tape deck.
... just a thought

Ok time for me to toot my horn.

48 track of Ensoniq / Emu "Paris"
The best sounding DAW on the planet.
I can mix in the box because of the 56 bit mix buss in the DSP chip.
Try that will PT and you will fail and sound really bad.

Yes it is obsolete but so is 2" analog tape.
Studer is not making any more 2" machines and
neither is Emu / Ensoniq making any more of these units.
Yes 2" sounds better but this DAW likes to be pushed into the red
you push the meters and it sounds like tape.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"][quote author="ytrehalf"]I'm with you guys all the way on this. But where are you finding musicians who can record this way?

I'm not having any luck finding them.[/quote]

Hey Brendan... what about ME?

Just kidding... I know I suck.

:cool:[/quote]

I don't know, Dave. I've actually heard you play a song all the way through without stopping. These days, that alone puts you in the top 2%.

[quote author="Kev"][quote author="soundguy"]... if you own an ampex you will eventually learn every nut and bolt about the machine. [/quote]

I think you should consider a computer for editing and to take the endless strain off the tape deck.
The coputer I/O could live in an insert position (at the patch bay) between the desk and the tape deck.
... just a thought[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about. Get your tape sound and then roll the tape machine into a corner until the next tracking session.

You'll reduce head wear and hours on the machine, tape costs, calibration... Plus you capture the sound of the tape before it sheds after hundreds of passes while mixing. Let the computer do the heavy lifting.

Soundcraft 2"...probably the cheapest 24 track ever made. The worst punch in the world, so make sure your musicians are ready. I only record my band, so I do try to get them to play well...sooner or later you have to do it live anyway; and if as a musician you don't have a natural drive to WANT to do it in one take, then I think there's something wrong.

Bjorn

[quote author="adrianh"]Ok time for me to toot my horn...[/quote]Hey Adrian, where you been? I was beginning to wonder if you ever came out of that studio! :green:

BTW, I'm using an Aardvark Q10.

Back