what would you do if you weren't afraid?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did books scare you?

Congrats for reading one...

I'm kidding...  ;D

Fear is good for survival of the species, while too much fear interferes with even that.

Figure out which fear is rational and which is not. Watching the evening news is all about drumming up fear, with very little of that real.

JR

I meant to type read it in a book the other day. I read  all the time. This one phrase caught me at just the right moment in my life as I am currently at a crossroads in my career.

pucho812 said:
I meant to type read it in a book the other day. I read  all the time. This one phrase caught me at just the right moment in my life as I am currently at a crossroads in my career.

Precision in language and accurate communication are important for things like writing resumes.

Good luck... i don't know if you have any interest but in some ways it is so much easier to start a small business these days (ignoring the increased government regulations). Computer technology has made it far easier for individuals to design product than several decades ago..

Of course you still have the heavy lifting of figuring out what the market needs that it can't already get.

JR

If I didn't have to worry about maintaining a steady cash flow , pay the bills , pay the bills
I'd do whatever the hell I wanted which maybe slowing the pace doing less things , relaxing and
enjoying whatever was in front of me [ or trying ] I'd try living in different places for one .

I do what I want most of the time...which is flyfish in the mountains...being out there, is a healing experience.

Other than that, I work.

JohnRoberts said:
Fear is good for survival of the species, while too much fear interferes with even that.

MagnetoSound said:
Go bareback more often.

Two ways of saying the same thing...maybe. 8)

I´m serious, reading the question, I instantly though, "I´d want a little child!", something I think often lately.
But don´t tell my girlfriend yet! :-X 
I´m an artist without money :'(
And emoticons are really crappy  ???

I´m serious, reading the question, I instantly thought, "I´d want a little child!", something I think often lately.
But don´t tell my girlfriend yet! :-X 
I´m an artist without money :'(
And emoticons are really crappy  ???

I got to a stage like that once and put a 5 year old girl in the Dominican Republic through school til she was 16.  Very rewarding and cheaper than a kid of your own!

Only downside was the agency treats you like a potential paedophile and I don't speak Spanish so communication was not easy.

best
DaveP

I'd be in LA or NYC if I had the cajones to go all in!  :-\

I have a great thing going for me here, great studio and mentor, a roster of clients that's building up, and all that jazz. Realistically I could probably do it full time in under ten years off of a client list that I built, on equipment I own, and in my own home town.

But the question becomes: Where could I be in ten years if it were LA or NYC?

I have a few connections, and have seriously thought about making the jump in the past, and even now. I've done the cold call, networking, and taking lots of rejection thing before getting a yes in the past, so I'm not worried about that. I'd eventually get in somewhere and get something going. And it's not like I'm trying to be the next CLA or Pensado, I just have a very stubbron attitude that I'll eventually do this full time. The thought is I might get there quicker in LA or NYC, more competition, yes, but there's also more work (or so I hear).

Or I could be all wrong and throw away five or ten years that I could have spent building what I already have, or possibly spend ten years here doing what I could accomplish in five there. It's a big gamble for me, and while I win quite often when I do play cards, I have also lost my ass in the same game.

I would travel more.

Sometime in my mid 20ies, I developed a strange problem with traveling. I love planning it, I love the idea of it, I love being away when I have had a day or so to get accustomed to the new place, but I turn into a child that doesn't really wanna go on the day of departure and on arrival. I am totally aware of this, so I bite my lip and ignore the knots in my stomach best as possible, but the really weird thing is, it seems to stick even though my "fears" are never confirmed (quite the contrary. Traveling is great!).

Gustav

It's not hard to create a threshold that has any degree of doubt or failure, risk of loss .
then it builds up and can be tough to get over .
Gambling something you've worked hard for could make anyone pause .............

There's a drummer from my city [ Winnipeg ] named Brent Fitz , I bumped into him and he told me the story
of packing up and moving to Los Angeles .  In his words  , he got beat up a bit for a couple of years then started
making in roads , It took not only the jam of getting there in the first place but he had the perseverance to stick it out.
He's been on the last couple of Slash tours & recordings.

I guess it depends on how much of a risk taker you are and how much of a risk it actually is .

I'm with ya on the travel thing [ to some places ] going to mexico , or some of the more poor countries
it's not hard to imagine bad things

Latest posts

Back