Who are some of the top K87 capsule producers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So apart from the backplates being isolated or not, are there any other differences between the K67 and K87?

So apart from the backplates being isolated or not, are there any other differences between the K67 and K87?
No, that's the only difference! There are some differences between different revisions/years in general but that's the only difference between those produced concurrently. You can buy a k87 and jumper the backplates together and use it in a single backplate circuit, and (provided you have the right shape and thickness of spacer) you can take a k67 apart and replace the spacer with a plastic one (and make sure the screw contacts don't touch the other backplate) and use it in an isolated backplate circuit.

Last edited:
Updated the original post to reflect the other options you guys have pointed out for future reference, in case someone stumbles upon this thread down the line.

I used MP RK87 for my clone and I love it. Maiku k87 use for u87 circuit is very dark because of Maiku is kind of flat capsule. I like Maiku k87 with tube flat circuit. I had one 797 capsule is ok but I prefer RK87 more . I’m curious about Dachman k87. Anyone compared?

Can you take a top photo of the diaphragm so it's possible to see the hole pattern?

There's a 3U K87 version that has a flatter frequency response, but the backplate has less holes than a standard K87

This is my 3U K87. I don’t think that works good with u87 circuit. Maybe they have other different K87.

Being a capsule that has a modified backplate hole pattern to achieve a flatter frequency response it's understandable if it doesn't work well in an U87 circuit.
It would be probably better suited for a schoeps type flat circuit

Strangely I also have what is said in another thread to be a K67 flat 3U capsule, but it's different than the one you've got.
The rings are different, screws seem different also, backplate color also doesn't seem to be the same, wires are different and the Gold Sputtering area in mine is also smaller

I'm having some doubts at the moment if the capsule I have is really a 3U audio capsule...

img_4641-jpg.88192

I used MP RK87 for my clone and I love it. Maiku k87 use for u87 circuit is very dark because of Maiku is kind of flat capsule. I like Maiku k87 with tube flat circuit. I had one 797 capsule is ok but I prefer RK87 more . I’m curious about Dachman k87. Anyone compared?
Dachman's DA87 is same as 3U 67 the "normal" version. I believe you can order with both 3 or 4 leads (isolated backplates ala K87).
This capsule just above is single sided or double sided? I also have a 3U k67 flat version, but single sided and it looks exactly like yours Whoops with metal ring vs plastic on my other "normal" double sided k67 in my poctop 87 mic. when I recieved this single sided, I was expecting to see same plastic, I dont know if 3U uses metal ring on their single sided versions for whatever reason unknown to me, diferentiation, different manufacturer?.. who knows...

Latest posts

Back