Why NOT just ask for 100% of our income?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

It seems that 30 or 40 or 50 or......  whatever...percent will make the maniacs in DC happy.

So,  I suggest we all pay 100%.

Makes the folks in DC thrilled.  I suspect it will THRILL others on this list.

Click your heels....

Bri

PS, I am also starving here...so give me all your money!

My favorite term in politician-speak by far is "tax expenditures".

"Tax expenditures" refers to the money they are nice enough to allow us to keep on our paychecks.

So, basically the government does own 100% of all money, as well as the time and effort that we put forward in generating this money, and any small amount that we are allowed to take home should be viewed as a gift from our dear leaders, while they write it off as a loss.

Can't say I necessarily agree with this point of view.

Even if they took 100% it would not cover current spending, and being a one-time deal because everyone would have no $$ to buy food or shelter and thus perish, it certainly would not pay down the national debt.

It is pure theater that all this gloom and doom will rain upon us because the guv has only an extra 15 billion or so more to spend this year over last year.
It should be sequester x2 for a few years running.  They just don't get it.
Mike

I have to wonder how ignorant they think we are with the histrionics going on over this modest "reduction in the rate of spending increase" coming from the sequester.  Some of the public statements about services that will be cut are patently false, and/or exaggerated.

Nobody intended for the sequester to actually happen, this was both sides kicking the actual work of negotiating a budget down the road again, that time until after the election. Since then it appears they have changed the rules from balanced spending cuts and raising revenue to raising revenue and raising revenue. Allowing the sequester to execute, seems like the only way we will ever see a spending cut in our lifetime.

The sad part is this is a drop in the bucket for the real spending issues we need to address (entitlements). I can't feel very optimistic. Our chief executive has assembled a coalition that likes getting free sh__ from the government, and he has remained on the campaign trail stirring up public opinion, instead of working in DC, negotiating give and take with the legislators,  which is his actuals job.

But we allow this to happen, so shame on us.  I have a few related observations.
-----

1- If you prime the pump with a trillion gallons of borrowed water, you do not have a good producing water well. Instead you owe somebody a trillion gallons of water you have to pay back later. We desperately need private sector economic growth and it won't come from more regulation and raising the minimum wage, it will only come from less government interference, pu**sy blocking the private sector growth. 

-------

2- Government based charity while useful as a last recourse safety net, has some major differences from private charity. When we receive help from neighbors we feel obligated to pay back the charity, or pay it forward to other needy individuals. Charity from government, not only comes with no strings, but there is a culture of entitlement telling people that they are owed this charity by wealthy people who took advantage of them.

Using income levels as a criteria for how much charity individuals can draw, creates a perverse negative economic incentive against  earning more of their own money, since it reduces the entitlement they get, and looks like a 100% marginal tax rate. 

As so often happens, legislators are doing bad by trying to do good. I do not suggest we should stop all charitable giving, but we need to make it rational. Entitlements are not payments that poor people are somehow entitled to. Private charity should remain a no-strings gift, with tax deductions to encourage private giving, but public charity needs more strings. We can help the truly needy, but lets keep an accounting of how much they are given, and over their lifetime, after they get back on their feet, they can pay us back. I am not a fan of estate taxes, but if you die owing the government money, the government gets anything left in your estate to pay down your government owed debt.

Sorry if this sounds cold, but nothing in life is free. Pay it back or pay it forward. This government takeover of what should be private local charity, discourages real private charity. Wealthy US executives are saving children in Africa, since they don't perceive a need for charity here. The transaction right now looks and feel suspiciously like buying votes with the public's money.

I don't personally feel very charitable towards these "takers" with 2 and 3 free cellphones. I don't even use one these days,  but in all fairness the system is "teaching" them that they deserve this free stuff, and setting up economic disincentives against them working harder.

---
3- The final big lie, is that all this growing government largess is helping the middle class (cough). All the class warfare is just a distraction from what is really going on (ignore the tax man behind the curtain). Like Willie Sutton famously uttered that he robbed banks because that's where the money is, tax revenue will have to come from the middle class because that is where the money is.

Duh, and we wonder why we get what we get. I thought the public would wake up by now, but the last election campaign was brilliantly executed.

Fool me twice shame on me.....

JR

A few facts (approximate) that may be of interest. I didn't have a lot of time so I apologize if I got something wrong.

US GDP  $15T  (total of what everyone in the US earned)
US budget $3.6T
US revenue $2.7T

Total US Debt $11T

So, currently, revenue is 18% of GDP and expenditures are 24%. So we are not paying our bills. We've all heard that.
One could see these as 'net' tax rates. In historical perspective, rates are very low.
If taxes were raised to 100% would expenditures be covered? Yes, and the ENTIRE US debt would be paid off. A ridiculous scenario, but good for some perspective perhaps.
A very key statistic, however, is that 1% of people in the US are making 23% of the entire GDP. The top 20% are making 93% of the entire GDP. It is kind of staggering to think about that. If you are struggling to pay your bills, you are probably not one of the top earners. Taxing your income at 100% wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Finally, total US wealth  $55T
of this, the top 1% posses 34% of the total wealth
the top 20% possess 85% of total wealth.
and current policy is causing this to increase rapidly.

Now, I hope I got those figures right. Here is my 2 cents.
Maybe the current problem is that a lot of the people country hardly have the money to spend on living expenses, while the very rich extract more and more wealth to their savings accounts?
Maybe lowering tax rates is exactly what benefits the very wealthy the most, while 'normal' people would benefit from a different policy direction?

dmp said:
A few facts (approximate) that may be of interest. I didn't have a lot of time so I apologize if I got something wrong.

US GDP  $15T  (total of what everyone in the US earned)
US budget $3.6T
US revenue $2.7T

Total US Debt $11T
I don't have time to vet all this. The borrowing limit increase that just passed the senate was to increase that above the current $16.4T they are bumping against. I'm not sure where the missing $5T is, but none of this includes government guarantees that are much larger than the nominal debt amount (F&F etc).
So, currently, revenue is 18% of GDP and expenditures are 24%. So we are not paying our bills. We've all heard that.
It is routine to run a deficit, even in good times while the private economy is growing at several percent, however our near flat growth and hobbled economy means these deficits have dramatically increased our total debt burden in recent years.
One could see these as 'net' tax rates. In historical perspective, rates are very low.
Yes, "net" or average tax rates are not bad, but it has been a long time since the taxes have been reformed, so all the crony capitalism carve outs means that big business is paying a lot less than that average rate, and small business without the special deals are paying a lot more. Big business does not need the help, small business does... we need reform which could raise even more revenue, while providing relief and promote economic growth for small and mid sized business. While I am from the camp that doesn't see a dramatic need for more revenue we need to flatten out taxes and clean up the unproductive crony deals. Hedge fund unearned income is just one glaring example of low hanging fruit. Don't blame the rich who are just acting in their self interest, blame our legislators who are supposed to be working in our interest.
If taxes were raised to 100% would expenditures be covered? Yes, and the ENTIRE US debt would be paid off. A ridiculous scenario, but good for some perspective perhaps.
no... good for refuting class warfare perhaps. Real economists have studied the macro effects when the percentage of tax drawn from the economy rises much above the mid-high 20% range, the economy shrinks so raising taxes higher does not really raise more revenue. Hypothetical tax rates above 30% net are mental masturbation because it would never work in practice.
A very key statistic, however, is that 1% of people in the US are making 23% of the entire GDP. The top 20% are making 93% of the entire GDP. It is kind of staggering to think about that. If you are struggling to pay your bills, you are probably not one of the top earners. Taxing your income at 100% wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.
These numbers are even stranger when you look at people paid by the government to not work.

This is not something that the government can easily fix, but a good start would be educating the people so they compete globally and work productively to create value. We are spending more and getting less for education. Soon healthcare will come under their same quality management..
Finally, total US wealth  $55T
of this, the top 1% posses 34% of the total wealth
the top 20% possess 85% of total wealth.
and current policy is causing this to increase rapidly.
umm still,,, ?

Private ownership of personal property is one of the foundations of our republic. My wealth is my wealth to use as I see fit. Income is a different matter.

If anything there is too much influence by wealthy trying to control the government who is controlling more and more of the private economy. This is a bad positive feedback system. If you want less rich people lobbying the government for business advantage, get the government out of the private economy
Now, I hope I got those figures right. Here is my 2 cents.
Maybe the current problem is that a lot of the people country hardly have the money to spend on living expenses, while the very rich extract more and more wealth to their savings accounts?
Maybe lowering tax rates is exactly what benefits the very wealthy the most, while 'normal' people would benefit from a different policy direction?
As I have already stated I see the current problem is government creating uncertainty about future regulation and  crowding out private activity with public borrowing and spending. I saw the founder of the Subway sandwich chain on TV this morning and he said that with todays level of regulation and government involvement he couldn't start his business today like he was able to back a few decades ago.

I only hear talk of raising tax rates even higher. if this is done without closing loopholes that the the wealthy can preferentially take advantage of, the wealth imbalance gets worse not better. We don't need to redistribute wealth from the few, we need to create opportunity for the many and this comes from more effective education, and a less onerous business climate. 

IMO, of course I could be wrong.

JR

Yea its like this new thing were anyone working more than 30 hours a week gets benefits now. On the surface seems like a great idea. "Oh they are helping the small guy! How great!!" they shout from the rooftops.

When really, now business are forced to cut hours for the worker even more because the JUST CAN'T afford to give all their employees benefits. So again: the squeeze is on the middle/lower class. Sucks.

But hey at least we had the Oscars, nothing takes the sting away the economic crisis like watching rich people give each other gold statues. (I stole that from something I saw on face-book. But its true)

dmp said:
Like sure, when they are paying the taxes!  "Normal" people would benefit, or would have benefitted from having their payroll tax payments protected by a smart government rather than spent by the reckless actual government.  All the decades of $$ paid in spent and IOU'd with Tbills.  Those bills are coming due at the same time of a recession and the boomer retirement. 
The greedy pols now look at all the private retirement savings and rather than get a clue and a direction they brainstorm ways to make it legal to take those savings.
The budget would balance quite quickly if the corrupt GAO were dissolved in favor of a private auditing competition paying a 20% return to people and companies that identified government waste.  The massive federal gubment would be revealed as the corrupt bird feeder it is for all levels of society.  Then on to the states. 
Anyway, there has been no budget since the last Bush budget.  That budget has been base-lined yearly for longer than a presidential term due to the dysfunctional president.  If he were all dat he would have presented the New Era budget that saves us from the bad Bush years.  Instead, he is cribbing from his punching dummy.  Getting away with it too.
Mike

I don't have time to vet all this.
Like I said, I didn't have a lot of time to look up numbers, and I'm not surprised they are not up-to-date. I wanted to show some facts since we have gotten into such a realm of punditry on the internet. The scale of the numbers draws the picture I hope.
People really think that the government is trying to tax at 40% 50% or 60%. It's probably 20% or less. A historical low. Although I consider the 7.2% employer match as a part of one's income tax.
My belief is not that taxes should be raised now, but that they should not have been lowered in 2000, without cutting spending first. We were in a budget mess before the economy weakened. Not smart.

Private ownership of personal property is one of the foundations of our republic. My wealth is my wealth to use as I see fit. Income is a different matter.
Inflation caused by the government printing money can work like a tax on wealth. Continue to spend more than we make, and we put the country in a precarious position that may end up in a disaster. A great documentary called "Commanding Heights" from a few years back looks into this historically - Argentina for example.

Yes, "net" or average tax rates are not bad, but it has been a long time since the taxes have been reformed, so all the crony capitalism carve outs means that big business is paying a lot less than that average rate, and small business without the special deals are paying a lot more. Big business does not need the help, small business does... we need reform which could raise even more revenue, while providing relief and promote economic growth for small and mid sized business. While I am from the camp that doesn't see a dramatic need for more revenue we need to flatten out taxes and clean up the unproductive crony deals. Hedge fund unearned income is just one glaring example of low hanging fruit.
+1
Don't blame the rich who are just acting in their self interest, blame our legislators who are supposed to be working in our interest.
I blame the wealthy when their ability to spend $$$$$ corrupts / buys elections, manipulates the media, and distorts the facts to the extent that it undermines a vigorous and informed public.
The selfishness of the most privileged in this world is staggering. Of course there are notable counter examples, like Bill Gates. The scale of his philanthropy is unprecedented.
But really, I can't disagree with that statement enough.

Soon healthcare will come under their same quality management..
I recommend this article to see the scope of the problem. Health care is approaching 20% of GDP. Not sure giving big business more opportunity to cash-in is the answer. Look at the comparisons of Medicare to standard billing costs.
http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/

As I have already stated I see the current problem is government creating uncertainty about future regulation and  crowding out private activity with public borrowing and spending. I saw the founder of the Subway sandwich chain on TV this morning and he said that with todays level of regulation and government involvement he couldn't start his business today like he was able to back a few decades ago.
You have to take this all with a grain of salt. These people are lobbying. If there were some facts to support it, I'd listen. But just repeating this banter isn't interesting to me. I started and ran a small business for 5 years. I can name specific complaints with government regulation. I can also name specific results achieved by government regulation.
But if you think regulation is not needed in the food production industry, look at the current use of antibiotics in ag.
Back to this Subway guy. I didn't watch the interview, but it seems he named the ACA, Payroll Tax, and a proposed increase in the minimum wage as his examples. Give me a break. The Payroll tax was not increased, it was temporarily lowered. Does he think the payroll tax is higher now than when he started Subway? This is manipulation of the national dialog by a man with a personal wealth of $1.5B. And how can someone with that much money complain about paying people a living wage? $10/hr amounts to $20k per year. And fast food chains can't pay that? Give me a break.

dmp said:
I don't have time to vet all this.
Like I said, I didn't have a lot of time to look up numbers, and I'm not surprised they are not up-to-date. I wanted to show some facts since we have gotten into such a realm of punditry on the internet. The scale of the numbers draws the picture I hope.
People really think that the government is trying to tax at 40% 50% or 60%. It's probably 20% or less. A historical low. Although I consider the 7.2% employer match as a part of one's income tax.
My belief is not that taxes should be raised now, but that they should not have been lowered in 2000, without cutting spending first. We were in a budget mess before the economy weakened. Not smart.
I try to avoid punditry but I know my opinions are not shared by all.

While not punditry per se there is a shorthand or extremism in partisan speech that lacks the granularity or inspection of both viewpoints to be useful.  All the arm waving about what tax rates should be is academic since it will self correct and return less revenue when the aggregate amount (something like 27% IIRC) gets so high it damps economic growth. 

Our recent economic contraction was caused by a credit bubble bursting, the government activity since then has not been constructive  to promote "private sector" economic growth. Growth heals all ills, but we can't get growth from priming the pump, and peeing on the business sector.
Inflation caused by the government printing money can work like a tax on wealth. Continue to spend more than we make, and we put the country in a precarious position that may end up in a disaster. A great documentary called "Commanding Heights" from a few years back looks into this historically - Argentina for example.
Indeed.. a tax on wealth and a gift to those with debt (like all those underwater homeowners who could be rescued by nominal price inflation). Devaluing your currency also helps sell exports but right now everybody is printing money so it kind of cancels each other out for trade advantage. A lot of the current inflation we are suffering is hidden. The government excludes food and energy from calculating inflation? What are they smoking (ganga)?  At the moment japan who has wrestled with deflation for decades is on a new money printing binge targeting 2% inflation... Deflation is nasty so Bernanke is right to fear and fight against it, but inflation is a silent thief that governments often try to use to deal with their debt. .
Yes, "net" or average tax rates are not bad, but it has been a long time since the taxes have been reformed, so all the crony capitalism carve outs means that big business is paying a lot less than that average rate, and small business without the special deals are paying a lot more. Big business does not need the help, small business does... we need reform which could raise even more revenue, while providing relief and promote economic growth for small and mid sized business. While I am from the camp that doesn't see a dramatic need for more revenue we need to flatten out taxes and clean up the unproductive crony deals. Hedge fund unearned income is just one glaring example of low hanging fruit.
+1
Don't blame the rich who are just acting in their self interest, blame our legislators who are supposed to be working in our interest.
I blame the wealthy when their ability to spend $$$$$ corrupts / buys elections, manipulates the media, and distorts the facts to the extent that it undermines a vigorous and informed public.
The selfishness of the most privileged in this world is staggering. Of course there are notable counter examples, like Bill Gates. The scale of his philanthropy is unprecedented.
But really, I can't disagree with that statement enough.
We can agree to disagree... The politicians invite the corruption as they work almost full time to raise money for their next election. The only way to get the wealthy to stop corrupting politicians to make it not worth the trouble. Almost everything Washington does would be better handled by local/regional governments.
Soon healthcare will come under their same quality management..
I recommend this article to see the scope of the problem. Health care is approaching 20% of GDP. Not sure giving big business more opportunity to cash-in is the answer. Look at the comparisons of Medicare to standard billing costs.
http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/
I am surely repeating myself but big insurance was only marginally better than big government (because insurance pukes are smarter), but neither is allowing a free market to promote smart decision making in the individual's economic interest.  One negative trend and side effect of government takeover is that new doctors are no longer starting individual "private" practices but signing up to work for large hospital organizations that will deal with the bureaucracy.  I'm afraid we can't get that genie back in the bottle now. As I have been saying for years we needed reform, but now we are getting something even worse than big insurance. Wait for it, it hasn't even hit yet.
You have to take this all with a grain of salt. These people are lobbying. If there were some facts to support it, I'd listen. But just repeating this banter isn't interesting to me. I started and ran a small business for 5 years. I can name specific complaints with government regulation. I can also name specific results achieved by government regulation.
The Subway guy was not lobbying, he was at the trading floor to ring the bell or something like that. When he was asked about the minimum wage he was not opposed to it going up but he disagreed with the large jump. When asked what he paid, he said it depends on the local labor market. In some areas he already pays more than minimum wage. of course higher labor costs get passed through to the customers with higher food prices. 
But if you think regulation is not needed in the food production industry, look at the current use of antibiotics in ag.
Regulation is not a 100% or 0% issue. There is a need for regulation to protect against the excesses of capitalism, but too much regulation can kill the golden goose. It is all about balance, not all or nothing. Regulation for food safety is a red herring. No food business will prosper if it makes customer sick from bad food. This will be self correcting in a truly efficient market with effective information discovery. Of course there are areas where the free market is not fast enough to insure food safety. We are seeing numerous examples in China where the regulatory infrastructure has not kept up with industrial growth. We have a mature regulatory structure, while not always effective. I will give them credit for catching more inside traders lately, I want honest markets.

Speaking about regulatory excess, Elizabeth Warren, now the junior senator from MA, actually asked an intelligent question at the Bernanke testimony yesterday. She asked about the borrowing cost subsidy that large banks enjoy thanks to the still implied too big to fail government support... Now that she is a senator maybe she should fix that, even though Dodd-Frank supposedly already fixed it. In fact big banks are slowly shrinking but still enjoy a huge advantage over small banks thanks to the implicit guarantee. 
Back to this Subway guy. I didn't watch the interview, but it seems he named the ACA, Payroll Tax, and a proposed increase in the minimum wage as his examples. Give me a break. The Payroll tax was not increased, it was temporarily lowered. Does he think the payroll tax is higher now than when he started Subway? This is manipulation of the national dialog by a man with a personal wealth of $1.5B. And how can someone with that much money complain about paying people a living wage? $10/hr amounts to $20k per year. And fast food chains can't pay that? Give me a break.
You must have watched (read about?) a different interview... I saw him on CNBC this morning and don't recall any of those points.

JR

abechap024 said:
Yea its like this new thing were anyone working more than 30 hours a week gets benefits now. On the surface seems like a great idea. "Oh they are helping the small guy! How great!!" they shout from the rooftops.

When really, now business are forced to cut hours for the worker even more because the JUST CAN'T afford to give all their employees benefits. So again: the squeeze is on the middle/lower class. Sucks.

Another sad angle to this is that as these businesses cut back people's hours to get around the 30 hour regulation, many will have to hire part-time workers to make up for the lost productivity. This will undoubtedly be trumpeted as new job growth, and I'm sure Obama won't waste a second making sure everyone knows that he is personally responsible for it.

As a followup on the inflation discussion, if one wanted to promote a less obvious wealth transfer from rich to poor, inflation is one vehicle. To make it more helpful to the poor, loading them up with piles of debt first will make inflation even more helpful to them (they get to pay back loans later with cheaper inflated dollars). The much too easy home loan standards kind of blew up in everybody's face, but so far few have noticed that college loan debt had increased 60+% in the last few years. (of course much smaller than housing debt)

FWIW central banks in Europe are mandated by law to manage money supply growth to keep inflation low/moderate. The US has a conflicting dual mandate to manage both employment and money supply, some (like me) would argue you can't do both.

IMO a little inflation is better than a little deflation... (there is no such thing as a little deflation, it feeds on itself and quickly gets out of control). A slightly growing money supply  (and marginal reserve banking) promotes economic growth, which supports government deficit spending. This is why everybody targets low inflation, not zero inflation. 

None of this is secret. and no I am not suggesting we need to inflate the currency even more, just trying to make sense of recent history.

JR

Locally they have no sense of timing. They are already presenting a school budget 6% higher than last year. And already with the threats that voting the budget down will eliminate football helmets, musical instruments, and paints for the students. No mention of the proposed increase in funding for "gender-neutral mathematics". Cut that crap before shin guards.  Or a freeze in middle management.
Total parallel with the fluvia in DC.
Mike

JohnRoberts said:
(there is no such thing as a little deflation, it feeds on itself and quickly gets out of control). A slightly growing money supply  (and marginal reserve banking) promotes economic growth, which supports government deficit spending. This is why everybody targets low inflation, not zero inflation.

A small quibble:  Not all deflation is bad. If the average prices of goods is falling because of improved production due to technological improvements, newly found resources, productivity increases then price deflation is a good thing.

Monetary deflation like the kind the Federal Reserve created after the crash in 1929 is the bad kind and as you pointed out can and often leads to a downward spiral.

Here are some good articles which can explain it better than I can.

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/deflation-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-dreaded-d-word#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-history-of-deflation#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/library/detail/is-deflation-a-threat-to-our-economy#axzz2MOLneh2D

bigugly said:
JohnRoberts said:
(there is no such thing as a little deflation, it feeds on itself and quickly gets out of control). A slightly growing money supply  (and marginal reserve banking) promotes economic growth, which supports government deficit spending. This is why everybody targets low inflation, not zero inflation.

A small quibble:  Not all deflation is bad. If the average prices of goods is falling because of improved production due to technological improvements, newly found resources, productivity increases then price deflation is a good thing.

Monetary deflation like the kind the Federal Reserve created after the crash in 1929 is the bad kind and as you pointed out can and often leads to a downward spiral.

Here are some good articles which can explain it better than I can.

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/deflation-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-dreaded-d-word#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/the-history-of-deflation#axzz2MOLneh2D

http://www.fee.org/library/detail/is-deflation-a-threat-to-our-economy#axzz2MOLneh2D
Thanks for the distinction/amplification... In many areas we have enjoyed a real benefit of price contraction thanks to advances in productivity (thanks to computers) and globalization/free-trade where we can buy goods for a fraction of what we paid in earlier times. This productivity based price contraction generally improves our quality of life, unless we personally lose our job to more aggressive global competition. While computers are a relatively recent innovation compare the real price of a TV set today to a few decades ago. Even ignoring that modern TVs are bigger and better.

Asset value deflation is insidious when it rewards the actor for delaying business activity until a later date in anticipation of cheaper future prices. Bernanke is famously an expert on depression era policy so he is single mindedly trying to avoid repeating old mistakes. Unfortunately economics is a squishy science (Science?) so intelligent people can study the same history and draw opposite conclusions, including our recent history.

The arm waving that is going on right now in DC predicting a dooms-day scenario for reducing the rate of growth of our deficit spending is hard to stomach, for anyone paying attention. How many years of this nonsense do we tolerate before we concede it didn't work? yes, reducing government spending (borrowed money) will have a small measurable impact on the economy but this is not real, sustainable economic activity so IMO shouldn't even be counted.

We got into the bad habit of using deficit government spending to modulate the economy to smooth the depth of contraction during normal business cycles. It is the nature of economic growth under marginal reserve banking to be slightly under damped, so growth over-shoots and contracts, before returning to growth. Under capitalism these periods of contraction are actually virtuous as it clears out the less competitive dead wood, resulting in a stronger remaining economy.

Government, in their effort to "help us" pumped short term stimulus into the economy to reduce the pain for the few during these cyclical business contractions. This is in effect the government propping up weak competitors and thwarting the self-cleaning oven that is capitalism. But this preventing capitalism from delivering it's full benefit is not the worst damage. The problem is government believes it's own BS, so if a little economic stimulus can modulate the economy in the margin, more stimulus should deliver more economic growth. The basic misunderstanding is that this is not sustainable economic activity, it is short term window dressing to make the 95% who had jobs feel good and spend freely.   

If this borrow and spend was sustainable, all we would have to do, is give everybody a government funded job. But as I have often said, the government does not have their own wealth, they can only spend our wealth, or money they borrow against our wealth.

I worry now that the public who barely pays attention, and barely understands what is going on when they do, will fall for the renewed call for even more spending. Even if we believed that stimulus worked, we have been in an under-performing economy for years now, not months, like stimulus in the past was effective for. Our long term malaise is IMO caused by bad policy, an anti-business environment. If we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are getting.

If our leaders can continue to assemble a coalition who are happy with receiving free sh__ from government paid for with deficit spending, we will continue down this rabbit hole until the world's lenders say no mas and stop lending us the fuel to burn our own future. 

It is a simple matter of being adult and suffering a little real pain now, to prevent more later. When did we become a nation of takers with such poor judgement?  I know, slowly and over time. The republicans are not free of blame, they are just the more adult of the two choices we now have. We need to address structural issues limiting economic growth (tax reform, entitlement growth, etc).

I worry now about how the current sequester is being spun to a susceptible public.  Bob Woodward a formerly respected liberal reporter (who made his bones outing Nixon), is now getting kicked under the bus for reporting the facts surrounding how the sequester came about.  It was just another of the many mechanisms used to kick difficult spending cut decisions into the future. It was designed to be so politically unacceptable to both sides that they would never allow it go into effect at that future date, but guess what, times change and now it became the only way to get any small cut in government growth. Not a real spending cut, but a small reduction in growth.

I do not feel lucky. The spinner in chief has denied all ownership of this sequester he promoted to get past another election cycle without facing reality. Now they are setting up this (small) forced cut, to take all blame for the under-performing economy that has been running on fumes for years. 

And the beat goes on...

Of course I would love to be wrong,,, but we would have recovered by now if I was.

JR

sodderboy said:
Locally they have no sense of timing. They are already presenting a school budget 6% higher than last year. And already with the threats that voting the budget down will eliminate football helmets, musical instruments, and paints for the students. No mention of the proposed increase in funding for "gender-neutral mathematics". Cut that crap before shin guards.  Or a freeze in middle management.
Total parallel with the fluvia in DC.
Mike

Local decisions "should" operate with a tighter negative feedback loop. Since state and local government can't print money, they need to actually pay for bad spending decisions. Local tax payers tend to push back against massive tax increases to fund wasteful spending (while this doesn't explain CA and NY is not far behind.).  While Christie has burned a few bridges with the right, he is (mostly) on the right track about managing state budgets. Nearby NJ should serve as a good example, and alternate place to live for NY and CT neighbors having their tax dollars abused.

JR

Back