winding a sort of 2503 type output tranny . . . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's make it 278. Hows that?

River brain, yes. I forgot to strap the paddle to the roof yesterday because I was so fried from the river. It was ok til I hit I-50 near Placerville near the Fioni Bridge. Luckily a fellow paddler flagged me down and I was able to retrace my steps to the freway shoulder which contained the paddle. Good thing I didn't kill somebody by starting a wreck or pulling off a Harley Davidson rider. :oops:

Another time I was so wasted after the river that I put in my ATM card, punched in 100 bucks, took the card and left the money! Of couse it was gone when I realized.... :twisted:

Acually, the turns will be dictated by the wire and the winder. Put as many on there as you can get. Tape it up so that when you lace up the core, the lams do not cut into the wire. There should be a little clearance between the winding and the lams, but not much, as you want to fill that widow up pretty good. Check your clearance as you near the final layer by inserting one lam into the bobbin to use as a feeler gauge.

We used to use wooden hammers to tap the wire a bit in order to get it to lie down. Takes a little spring out of the windings, which might expand later which would lessen your clearance. Tap on the sides that sit near the core. You should pull the wire pretty tight when you wind. It can take it, and this will mean you will be able to get max turns on there.

Glass tape can be used to secure the finish. It is very strong.

The Cosmo 1214 is the correct part.
It does not have any slots in the sides of the bobbin for the wires.
In this transformer with 8 wires exiting the bobbin the slots
would not be enough and will only get in the way and may catch
the wire as you are winding it.

The exact part # is 2-01214-0-000-00-0

[quote author="CJ"]These guys sell nothing but tape:

http://rshughes.com/[/quote]

So we're looking at something like:

http://rshughes.com/products/021200_48234.html

or more esoteric:

http://rshughes.com/products/021200_16151.html

Check the price on that second one :shock: :!: Is this the kind of thing you're recommending, CJ? At these prices maybe we should buy one roll and pass it around like a hand rolled cigarette of a weedy nature (pass the dutchie on the left hand side, mon).

I wonder if TAP Plastics might have something that would work. They sell a lot of fiberglass stuff.

A P

You don't need the 1000 degree stuff.
Use anything you like.
I could see some white medical adhesive tape being a creative alternative, maybe a little epoxy over it.

I am lucky enough to have an RS Hughes distributor down the street, so samples can be had for walking in. The yellow mylar tape woll work fine too.

AP, the distro is RS Hughes. Sunnyvale,CA. Best looking help in the valley, so drop on in.
I just talked to Ram at 818-997-8057 and they sell lams and bobbins.
But.....Net 30 or COD only. :twisted:

I am gonna have my Samoan laywer work out on these guys, so maybe they will change their tune. They don't know what their in for, but I do.

Okay slackass...

I'm heading back through, so this time don't let your shadow fall on my slacks, -ya hear?

Probably got the same flight schedule on the way out, don't have confirmation just yet... I can let you know if I do, but if so, I'll have the same kind of 2 hour changeover at SFO.

-You gettin' any change for those aluminum cans you were pullin' out of the trash cans last time? -Or were you conducting secret research into aluminum lams? -They'll never sound any good, lemme tell ya!

Keef

You had a 1 hour change over pal, which means by the time you collected your contraband from baggage, and checked in for your Cessna 172 shuttle, you had a total of ten seconds to chat. :twisted: The 13 dollar parking fee will be taken care of at the airport Pub, which should buy about a 1/2 pint at their prices. :twisted:

No, I don't carry a phone, or a watch for that matter. What do you need, a 3 by 5 foot poster with your name on it at the gate? Sheesh!

Just got off the phone with Ram. They are going to quote me on twenty pounds of 625 EI, and 100 bobbins. I will send them a check which will need time to clear, this will get me around the 30 net /COD garbage, and that will leave only the wire and tape to procure.

Keef, what have youe been growing, I mean doing up there all this time?
Did you fall into the Eel river and get washed out into the bay?
Don't tell Steve what you saw growing in between the redwoods or he will have a spazz attak!

:roll:

[quote author="CJ"]AP, the distro is RS Hughes. Sunnyvale,CA. Best looking help in the valley, so drop on in.[/quote]

Might have to do that :cool: Thanks for the "intel" on the help.

Just got off the phone with Ram. They are going to quote me on twenty pounds of 625 EI, and 100 bobbins. I will send them a check which will need time to clear, this will get me around the 30 net /COD garbage, and that will leave only the wire and tape to procure.

Now we're talking! Need any help putting these "kits" together once the parts arrive? PM me if you are.

A P

No, do You need any help putting kits together, Pilgrim!
I am still trying to get Dukasound his T4.

OK, is anybody interested in a U bracket for mounting the API output? Ram sells these also. This is the typical crimped on silver sheetmetal bracket that has the two mouting tabs that come off the bottom at a 90 degree angle. You just wrap it around and crimp these small bands around the core. Then you just drill two mounting holes into your project box. The typical API mounting is not as user friendly.

Once we get the Litz sourced, we can move this over to the Black Mamba, or whatever that place is called.

Just renewed vacuumbrain.com for two more years, they gave me a free 500MB > 3 Gig upgrade!

cj :thumb:

OK, bad choice of words with "assemble." What I meant was cutting Litz to length from the 5 mile spool you're buying, counting out lams, and packaging the stuff up to ship to the dudes who want them. Not building the things! Anyway, if you want a hand putting parts in boxes to ship out, let me know.

I KNOW I'll need some help with my first winding attempt even if it's easy. But these things come with customer support, right? :wink:

A P

[quote author="CJ"]Customer support will be handled by Scenaria. :grin:
[/quote]

Glad I teed that up high enough for ya! Nice drive! :grin:

Have you ever reeled in a kite? Then you can wind a 2503.

The winding part seems easy enough. But what about all the details like securing breakout leads, assembling the core, keeping the lams tight, and fiddly stuff like that. You gave us a little hint of some of these tricks when you talked about the wooden hammer to tighten up the coils.

Oh, I'd be up for the U-bracket option, too. Makes mounting a lot easier. Thanks for all the leg work on this project.

A P

[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]
The winding part seems easy enough. But what about all the details like securing breakout leads, assembling the core, keeping the lams tight, and fiddly stuff like that.
A P[/quote]

Couldn't we simply reverse the order of CJ's usual series of photo's for a nice illustrated how-to ? :wink:

Yes, plus when I get all the stuff, I can build one and follow the progress with the digi-cam, getting all the mistakes out of the way as we go.

Lead breakout - you wrap the litz around the colored wires, solder the mess lonfg enough to bake the enamel and your done.

Back