winding a sort of 2503 type output tranny . . . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="CJ"]Yes, plus when I get all the stuff, I can build one and follow the progress with the digi-cam, getting all the mistakes out of the way as we go.[/quote]
Wasn't asking for this, but it'd be nice !

Sometimes things fall into place but this is downright weird.
I happen to be going on a Kayak trip this weekend. It is the end of the year races on a river near Jackson, California. I plan to camp at a place called Indian Grinding Rock State Park. This is about 2500 feet high in the Sierras. Not a lot of anything up there, especially in the way of electronics. Well, Indian Grinding Rock is right next to a town called Pine Grove.

Guess what. There is a wire company in Pine Grove!
Out in the middle of the sticks! They have Litz wire! Cue Twilight Zone theme now. So I am going to bring them a API Litz sample up this Friday when I head to the campground so Bruce can match it up..

http://www.wiretron.com/

Anyway, they offer a small sample pack, if you are interested in regular mag wire also.

OK, so I got you your lams, I got you your bobbins, I am getting you the wire. Can someone find me some yellow Mylar tape, or would that be asking too much? :razz:

Luck on the Cosmo bobbin

Their quote;

Cosmo part number 2-01214-0-000-00-0

100 pcs = $56.00
250 pcs = $103.25
500 pcs = $132.77
1000 pcs = $170.34

Not bad but RAM has it cheaper in small quan.

Now to Multifiler land.
Not Litz! Litz is multi conductors paralled with usually
fabric covering. Yes that would work but take up too much space in the bobbin window.

Adrian, see the above website. Click on Litz. Note the "Served" or "Unserved" terminiology.

I do not know if Quad filar would be DIY friendly.

Thanks Tom! I bet the 1 inch yellow poly would be perfect for the 2503.

So if this wire company has the stuff, we are done!

No wait, we still need 8 strand multicolored PVC lead wire.
That should not be hard. Allied or somebody.

I ordered 25 U brackets for those inclined to use a different mounting system other than the API PCB mouting, however they do that.

:thumb:

I did this with a local guy... need to test. No litz, kinda quad, but the guy don´t talk too much so I´m not pretty sure what he did. Just know it was pretty cheap and if it works somehow, that´s ok. US$10!

4-75.jpg

:guinness:
Fabio

CJ

I am wrong!

You were right.
I got Litz and multifilar mixed up.
I though the transformer wire was flat, it is not.
It is 4 strands twisted.
So it is unserved Litz 4 conductor!

The insuation for that wire is most likely
heavy build.

You did not measure the DCR.
I will do that this week end with the 4 wire meter.

No Adrian, you are back to being right again.

I just called the wire company and they want 35 cents a foot. Four strands, 30 ga each strand "braided".

35 cents a foot comes out to 29 dollars per coil! (85 ft per coil) so screw that.
I knew the wire company in the hills thing was too good to be true. :twisted:
However, I might buy a roll of red and a roll of green from them and twist up our own for DIY'ers.

After I found out ther price, (and 35 cents is for 1000ft), i went and took the orig wire apart and noticed the "non litz" simple twisting construction.

I also had a local transformer winder do some 2503 type units for me.

Nearly had a puppy when he told me he could not get Litz wire, & just intertwined all the wires before winding. At least he did use M6 lams.

What does it sound like? Dunno, time is not on my side at the mo :cry:

I have had some valve output transformers wound by the same guy, & they sounded very good.

Peter

Trafo.jpg

Peter, Fabio,

Cool! Hope they sound as good as they look!

CJ, Adrian and everyone else listing here, I am thoroughly enjoying this post! I am sure that I am not alone in this, either! I am eagerly awaiting any developments, and would dearly love to see some puppies to play with!

Nice!

ANdyP[/i]

[quote author="CJ"]I hope so, I just ordered 20 lbs of 625EI, which will make 20/0.375 = 53 transformers! :shock:[/quote]

Oh yeah! This is gonna be fun....

:thumb: :guinness: :thumb: :guinness: :grin:

OK mister CJ sir!

On the lams can you get me more info on them.
Vendor part# etc.
I am trying to get all the docs in one simple
PDF.

To help all the "lurkers".
I got a nagging feeling there are a lot of lurkers.
Yes you will need to wait.
Just as you folks do when you say you have a neat schematic
and it takes a week for you to post it.

[quote author="adrianh"]OK mister CJ sir!

On the lams can you get me more info on them.
Vendor part# etc.
I am trying to get all the docs in one simple
PDF.

To help all the "lurkers".
I got a nagging feeling there are a lot of lurkers.
Yes you will need to wait.
Just as you folks do when you say you have a neat schematic
and it takes a week for you to post it.[/quote]

Nice developments here ! :thumb:

The Fum ribbon mic story comes to mind here - like 1,000 people drooling and then it's suddenly all over :wink:
// edit, let me add: I didn't mean there went something wrong there //

But serious, what are the plans so far - how is it going to be done ? Each continent compiling orders based on the gathered info ? Or one massive one & then distributed over the globe ?

Sorry if I'm too soon with such questions.

Bye,

Peter

Peter;
Is getting the cart before the horse.

I do not think we have gotten that far yet.
Are you volunteering?

Some of the smaller parts may be an issue.
The transformer tape and such.
But we will overcome those details.

I am trying to take some of the work load off of CJ.
He is very busy at work now.
Stay tuned.

I'd just like to add for all those interested that I'm working a permanent solution for this trafo and others. I can't get into details just yet but I have all the DIY community in mind.

Back