winding a sort of 2503 type output tranny . . . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="adrianh"]Peter;
Is getting the cart before the horse.
[/quote]

Hi Adrian,

Yep, of course I didn't want to rush anything.
As I said, sorry if I'm too soon with all this.

Thanks & have a good weekend everyone,

Peter

Still working on the wire. I figure lets do a batch of 2503's then see what Tommytones has up his sleave. Sounds like it could be exciting.

Adrian, lam part number is just 625 EI 29 ga. Takes a 5/8 inch stack, which works out to about 45 lams each.

[quote author="adrianh"]Sammas;

Why the negative face?
Have I missed something.[/quote]

Negative? no!

EVIL! :twisted:

I'm just waiting for the day you guys start building your own capacitors and resistors...

and monolithic components :green:

this is a cool thread :thumb:

Already built caps and resistors in high school. Take a piece of paper and a number two pencil. Scribble out a resistor on the paper by going back and forth to make a rectangle shape. Do it til you almost wear thru the paper.
Hook up 300 volts dc with alligators to the ends of the rectangle. Plug in and be ready with 911 cell phone.

Cap: get a roll of foil and a roll of wax paper. roll out half the foil and put wax paper between two foils. Put on cap meter. Make steel can. Fill with wesson oil. Have welder seal it. Oil and wax. Vitamin W. Killer sound.

DIY Transistor:

Step 1) Take a small lump of coal. Jab three nails in with light taps of a hammer. If coal does not shatter when you try to hammer the nails in, go to step 3.

Step 2) take another -hopefully less shatterable- piece of coal and repeat step 1. If it shatters, repeat this step. If not, go to step 3.

Step 3) Apply 1kV DC across two of the legs. These should be the Collector and Emitter. Apply 10V to the third terminal (the base) and see how much the current varies at the collector. If the coal gets hot, bursts into flame or just nothing happens, then you either had the polarity wrong, you used a PNP lump instead of an NPN lump, you had the wrong terminals connected, you had the right terminals connected the wrong way round, or it was just a dud transistor.

Step 4) When you get to step 4, you'll know. This is the time when you need that fire extinguisher you always said you should buy for the workshop...

Keef

Back in the dim dark past, I did make a transistor in my school lab on a hotplate. Melted a couple of lumps of germanium doped differently. It actually worked...well sort of.

OK, here is a wire source that has what is called Twistite wire. There are three types of multistrand magnet wire. Litz, which is the expensive braided stuff that we can't afford at 29 dollars per transformer, there is quadfillar which is 4 wires glued together in one flat strip which is not what we want either, (pricey also) and then there is the four conductors that are sold twisted together. This is what we want. It comes in different colors. I have a quote coming in from
http://www.mwswire.com/ on some 30 ga quad Tweistite in a solderable poly coat in clear, blue. red and green, so we don't have to ohm it out. This company also has every other type of wire you DIY winders will need, and they do small quantitoes with no account needed. (credidt card,,COD, etc)

So we are almost there. MWS is in Southern California.

T

OK, quotes from MWS are not good. 35 cents a foot at 1000ft quanities. That's as much as Litz from the other place!
Looks like we may have to twist this up ourselves.
Lookinh at Surplus Sales of Nebraska for cheap spools of 30 ga, in green and red, which would bring it down to DIY price range.

cj

Buying wire in big 2 lb and 10 lb spools are cool.
Only if you want to use them in one place.
Rewinding that small wire on smaller spools
(no offence guys and girls) but that is not a task I even want
to do, pay or no pay.

So small spools will add to the success of the project.

CJ...Look at your bloody e-mails!!! I've been needing to contact you for days.

I don't know how far you've gotten on this but I just found 2 boxes of this transformer left over from an order I made a little while ago...about 110 pieces. I'll sell if you can't figure out a solution for the litz wire.

Things are moving along nicely with regards to the solution I mentioned. I should have an official announcement soon. I'm thinking about all of you DIY people so hang in there just a bit longer. I've got something really nice headed your way (more than just transformers).

I got the wire down to 11 cents a foot, but thats for 10,000 feet. But it works out to about 85 feet times 0.11 = $9.35 per x-former. So add in 5 bucks for the lams and bobbin and DIY 2503 is 15 bucks, which is what you were charging, but hey, you get to build this one yourself!

Hey, CJ...

Is that $0.11/ft for the quad "supertwist" or whatever MWS called it? That's not bad at all. I'm still in for four sets... Thanks for the effort on these things.

A P

Latest posts

Back