Wood cases?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

museic

I'm a carpenter/woodworker by trade. I've made some pretty nice dovetailed racks for my gear. And metalwork isn't my favorite. So naturally I'm wondering why not just make the actual case out of wood as well?

I was thinking you would probably have to use a shielding paint on the inside or copper tape? Maybe that alone would make it cost prohibitive I'm not sure. But I can't see too many other drawbacks.

I was thinking as a prototype deal for working out where things are going it would be nice, cheap and easy.

Specifically the project that made me think of this is marc bareilles mutron biphase clone that I'm building.

http://m.bareille.free.fr/biphase/biphase.htm

I have it mostly all wired up ready to go, but still need to do the casework. And there are so many jacks and nobs. I'm not sure where I want to put them all yet, so I was thinking a wood case could be nice for changing the arrangement around until I settle on a particular layout at the least.

Anyone want to poke holes in this idea?

Front and back panels would have to be 1/8" or 1/4" ply I suppose.

I guess another idea would be to just make the front and back panels out of wood to try different layouts.

There was a company making tube gear in rack mount wood cases for awhile.  May still be out there. 

I'd be interested in this as well. I'm going to put together a Spectra Sonics 101 and wanted to put it in a small wood box. Just don't know how I'd ground the circuit. Going to use a 48v SMPS wll wart coming into a JLM Trex. Can anyone point us in the right direction?
Many thanks. (Not trying to hijack this thread).

DaviSound!  That's them.  I saw this stuff in the late 1990's.  One of the first 'clone' type companies online. 

museic said:
I'm a carpenter/woodworker by trade. I've made some pretty nice dovetailed racks for my gear. And metalwork isn't my favorite. So naturally I'm wondering why not just make the actual case out of wood as well?

Over a half a century ago, General Radio made their gear in wood boxes. As in here:
http://ancientpoint.com/imgs/a/g/h/z/l/classic_antique_general_radio_co___capacitance_bridge_type_716___081_4_lgw.jpg
The flat front panel is thick aluminum, and the box is lined with copper sheet.

emrr said:
DaviSound!  That's them.  I saw this stuff in the late 1990's.  One of the first 'clone' type companies online.

Have you ever opened any Davisound gear up? Super bizarre consturction!

Back