Words

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Back in the 60s the evening news affected public sentiment anti-war by sharing negative images and reports about Viet nam.

In the 60’s,  The news broadcast would show coffins stacked up coming back from Nam.  It was a horrible sight to see every night.  In the gulf war,  the pentagon did not allow those pictures to be taken.  They learned a lesson  from the negative impact of those views everynight. 

In my country they call "Abortion"  "Pregnancy Interruption"  :eek:
And if someone kidnaps you and kills you its "Forced disappearance", makes me wonder what is Willful Disappearance.... Is it like the witness protection program or like going to Aruba without telling anyone?

JohnRoberts said:
I hear they are going to rename FEMA the "Federal Challenge Management Agency"...

JR

If you feel like the new name for FEMA is bad, our president has created an institute called  "The Institute to give back the people what was stolen" INDEP ;D ;D nothing like some good old Marxist name to spice things up.... First, stolen by whom? I've seen the webpage, they just talk about public auctions, and the worst thing is that they don't tell what they are giving back to the people (or how), is it money? land? jewelry? who knows? who cares? it has a catchy name!

EmRR said:
"associate" versus "employee"

I'm quite tired of "vibrant"....downtowns, schools, etc.  Though that one is a bit on the way out.

In UK "associate" in that context often refers to a worker who is part of some form of co-operative enterprise.

"Vibrant" - often used by estate agents to euphemistically describe a "challenging" area.

Newmarket said:
In UK "associate" in that context often refers to a worker who is part of some form of co-operative enterprise.

"Vibrant" - often used by estate agents to euphemistically describe a "challenging" area.

What about "letting you go" instead of "firing you"

JohnRoberts said:
Back in the 60s the evening news affected public sentiment anti-war by sharing negative images and reports about Viet nam.

There was a positive side to the war in Vietnam?  :eek:

cyrano said:
There was a positive side to the war in Vietnam?  :eek:
Since I was drafted into the US army in 1970 I have a rather negative personal attitude about it.
=====

There were lessons to be learned, but many did not. That was and still is the human condition.

JR 

I am surprised to find myself agreeing with Bill Maher, he always seemed like an equal opportunity bomb thrower making inflammatory comments to insult all sides, but he has recently targeted cancel culture and now scare tactics regarding covid health reporting.

Keep it up... 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I am surprised to find myself agreeing with Bill Maher, he always seemed like an equal opportunity bomb thrower making inflammatory comments to insult all sides, but he has recently targeted cancel culture and now scare tactics regarding covid health reporting.

Keep it up... 

JR

He has always been opposed to cancel culture and political correctness

JohnRoberts said:
and organized religion

JR

that is correct, and I personally disagree with him on that, but he is still a funny comendian/satire, personally what I like about his show is that he invites both sides from an ideology, for example, he is extremely anti-republican, yet, he will constantly invite republicans to his show, he always tries to disprove them but the point is that he gives the other side a voice, and I think that is healthy.

However, he seems to avoid the heavy hitters of the opposite side, for example there are a lot of great theologians that are not invited (maybe the theologians didn't accept the invitation, that might be an answer) but when discussing religion for example, he will bring in Sam Harris, or Dawkins, or even Neil DeGrass Tyson, and the opponent is some little league guy, so no contest there.... plus, his audience will most of the time back him up and clap about everything he says. The Ben Shapiro interview is interesting, it was a direct attack, Ben replied with some great arguments and the audience went dead silent, Maher replied and the audience cheered, plus the interview was very short, so yeah, he gives both sides a voice but in a way that he is always on the winning side.

Another example, he brought in Sam Harris to discuss how bad Islam is, now I dislike Sam Harris but he is quite intelligent and extremely well versed, and to make a case for Islam was some who know who, plus, the biggest critic who was no other than Ben Affleck (who of course made a fool out of himself), so, you have to be fair, if you are going to bring in Sam Harris you should bring in someone of the same stature for the other side, not freaking Batman.

Sadly the public respects the opinion of actors and athletes more than it should...  Maher is providing entertainment not wisdom.

I am not religious, and there are a long list of bad things done in the name of religion, but in my judgement most modern religions are a positive organizing force in the lives of the masses. Sadly religion is under attack by some progressives.

I am not comfortable debating individual's personal religious beliefs. For years I had a sweet old neighbor (now RIP) who was constantly proselytizing me to go to church with him. I graciously but firmly declined. I am glad he was able to die peacefully with his belief system intact. 

Years ago I wrote a letter to the editor in my local newspaper defending teaching evolution in the schools. After my letter was published some lost soul called my home phone number asking me to explain why his minister was telling him a different story. I told him to ignore me and listen to his minister, otherwise I would never be free of him. That is exactly the kind of person who needs religion to guide his personal life. I don't want to take that away from them, or replace religion with some alternate government dogma.

JR 

PS: I read the Oreilly/Dugard book "killing Jesus" and it was an interesting read.

For today's example of government "newspeak" (1984 reference), last night President Biden said

POTUS said:
Our Constitution opens with the words, as trite as it sounds, “we the people.”

Well, it's time to remember that we, the people, are the government.

Huh? This is diametrically opposed to any credible reading of the constitution. "We the people" clearly refers to the citizens, not the government office holders. The constitution very specifically limits the authority of federal power.

constitution said:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

JR

PS: It is shocking enough when I find myself agreeing with Maher but now the ragin cagin (James Carville) is making sense warning democrats to avoid "woke" politics. Now of course the Wokadile will have to turn on him.

Don't you think Biden might mean "we, the people" as the government like the French say 'La France, c'est nous"?

It's perhaps not elegantly phrased, but that's how I read it.

JohnRoberts said:
PS: It is shocking enough when I find myself agreeing with Maher but now the ragin cagin (James Carville) is making sense warning democrats to avoid "woke" politics. Now of course the Wokadile will have to turn on him.

Trump enforced the Mexico City policy, Biden revoked it and he calls himself a devout Catholic.... pffff, yeah right.... That tells me all I need to know on how his goverment policy will be and how true he is to his personal convictions.

“The next Republican that tells me I’m not religious I’m going to shove my rosary beads down their throat.”

“I am so sick and tired of this pontificating about us not being the party of faith,”

- Joe Biden

He should probably start shoving his beads down his own throat then...

I want to add, I am not from the US, so someone could argue this is not my business, it is, because stuff like that affects my country aswell, the entire world actually.

Back