Yet another 2520. Kill me if you hate me!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arorasimran

Hey ! Attached is the schematic I have redrawn. I took help of Fabios schematic. I have redrawn in eagle and wish to link it with pcb.
Kindly if some one can recheck for me.
the 550c was not availiable in the part list of eagle so i used another one (547) . In the actual circuit, i will be using 55c hfe matched.

Simran

Attachments

• API Fabio Schematic Redrawn.png
    API Fabio Schematic Redrawn.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 147
arorasimran said:
Hey ! Attached is the schematic I have redrawn. I took help of Fabios schematic. I have redrawn in eagle and wish to link it with pcb.
Kindly if some one can recheck for me.
the 550c was not availiable in the part list of eagle so i used another one (547) . In the actual circuit, i will be using 55c hfe matched.

Simran

Simran,

there are various resistor values missing (R13, R14, R15...). Hard to recheck...
You might consider to mirror T2 and T3 in your schematic too.

Best,
Carsten

culteousness1 said:
.... Hard to recheck...
You might consider to mirror T2 and T3 in your schematic too.
Aro, please redraw with all transistors the correct way up and showing things as they normally are.  eg Long tail pairs look like long tail pairs, +ve up & -ve down etc. 

The way you have it is very untidy and confusing.

It is almost impossible for anyone, including yourself to check so no one will bother.

ricardo said:
Aro, please redraw with all transistors the correct way up and showing things as they normally are.  eg Long tail pairs look like long tail pairs, +ve up & -ve down etc. 

The way you have it is very untidy and confusing.

It is almost impossible for anyone, including yourself to check so no one will bother.
If this is an educational project, re-drawing the circuit so it conforms to standard practice and clear to anyone & everyone who looks at it may be the best thing you learn from this exercise.

I decided to start off with the PSU

Here's my attempt to recreate.

I confirm this works and gives out 18v +-15mV symmetrical.

I need suggestions if such a design is worth using in for preamps?

What are the demerits of using a variable psu in preamps?

What more can be added here for better performance of the supply?

I need your valuable suggestions.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 317337.png
    317337.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 47
-+18v

I just decided to make a prototype and confirm if the layout is set right.

Attachments

• Photo267.jpg
    Photo267.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 38
arorasimran said:
I decided to start off with the PSU
When drawing schematics in Eagle, better start off reading the Eagle handbook, especially on how to use the [Net] button instead of lines and junctions.

I confirm this works and gives out 18v +-15mV symmetrical.
as drawn, not. If your prototype does actually work (with whatever load connected), this will be different from your schematic.
Ignoring the missing junctions and connection to the transformers center tap for your 0V reference voltage, your PSU is not variable with wipers of your trimmers P1,P2 not connected. PSU output is not at the right hand side of the current setting resistors R3,R4. The way you've drawn it, these will limit avail.current to 87.5mA per rail and your output voltage will be 1.25V below regulators output voltage.

What more can be added here for better performance of the supply?
better compared to what -this will be depending on layout of your PCB traces as well- would at least ask for your intended DC current and voltage load and give at least some data of the mains transformers secondary voltage(s) and VA rating.
IMHO missing, reverse protection diodes across the Vregs I/O-pins,
protection diodes across R3,R4 to help from C5,C6 discharging,
maybe required heatsinking of your VRegs, depending on connected load and VRegs I-O differential voltage,
maybe status displaying LEDs per rail to reach the VRegs min.current load, as the 5.7mA from R3,R4 might not draw enough for predictible operation of your VRegs,
Get this right first before thinking of additions like +/-V rails tracking, overvoltage or overcurrent protection.

Thanks for your valuable input. I shall look into everything you said.

Thanks for your valuable time to revert on this.

Regarding the trimmers, on the board itself i have connected pin number2(wiper) to ground plane.
Its been corrected on the board for now.

Centertap is connected to (GND) in eagle tab. So is pin 2 for input and output supply.

Today i tried powering up a 9v guitar pedal...It worked fine.
Transformer for now is a cheap locally made 240Primary to 24v 0 24v secondary @1Amp

I will pick up the handbook asap

Thanks
Sincerely
Simran

Attachments

• 317337.sch
    238.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back