Yet Another Ali Mic Body Thread, This Time a Robust 251

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the sharing and fact finding ☺️ Just curious; which of the two would you prefer in terms of quality and design?
My pleasure! As someone who is building this entirely for myself and my work, I prefer the one that looks more like the OG and it's worth the price since I am already saving, arguably, 10s of thousands of dollars. While the cheaper one is thicker, I don't think the 'fancier' one is going to be an issue.

My pleasure! As someone who is building this entirely for myself and my work, I prefer the one that looks more like the OG and it's worth the price since I am already saving, arguably, 10s of thousands of dollars. While the cheaper one is thicker, I don't think the 'fancier' one is going to be an issue.
Got it. If I prefer to use a shock mount with the mic, I guess there would be no point in spending this extra $ on this version of the body, as the swiwel mount really is the butter in the version, dont you agree?
I was really wondering when (if ever) it makes sense to use a swiwel over a shock mount when doing vocal recordings?

Got it. If I prefer to use a shock mount with the mic, I guess there would be no point in spending this extra $ on this version of the body, as the swiwel mount really is the butter in the version, dont you agree?
I was really wondering when (if ever) it makes sense to use a swiwel over a shock mount when doing vocal recordings?
I don't think you could argue for practicality of the new version over the old. It's really aesthetics and vibe. Practicality makes it an easy decision, but then again I have a Rode NT1-A with a capsule swap that sounds as good or better than some of my most expensive mics. If I were running a commercial studio (I'm not), I can't imagine I'd ever put an artist in front of an NT1-A, practicality and sound quality be damned.

Regardless, the point is valid. But then again, there is this:

ELA-M-251E.jpg

I don't think you could argue for practicality of the new version over the old. It's really aesthetics and vibe. Practicality makes it an easy decision, but then again I have a Rode NT1-A with a capsule swap that sounds as good or better than some of my most expensive mics. If I were running a commercial studio (I'm not), I can't imagine I'd ever put an artist in front of an NT1-A, practicality and sound quality be damned.

Regardless, the point is valid. But then again, there is this:

View attachment 138856
Now we just need to find out where to get that shock mount 😅

Latest posts

Back