Zener Limiter Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" both channels sound scratchy and poppy, unusably so if the unit is driven" ... probably related to matching zener diodes (in my opinion)

Boards are finished, lets hope the layout is ok. Circuit breaks up pretty well into input, output and side chain. Power supply will be remote. Only a couple of slight component changes over the original circuit - have adjusted the HF boost and the pad at the input. Chassis arrived yesterday but the wings/ears were bent during shipping.
Using perf boards for a simple circuit is OK , but for these circuits it is faster and cheaper to order PCB's from JLC, GO-GO etc for a few bucks.
Too many things to go wrong in those type boards and trouble shooting is harder without a CAD program to do error checking.
Pain has thought me.

I have matched zeners now. I used the first test jig I built (absolute - the one posted a few comments back) to group similar zeners and then the second jig (relative) to match pairs. Without the initial grouping matching pairs would be quite tedious.

Did swapping zeners fix your noise issue? I've had problems with noisy zeners in the past but swapped them and everything was fine after that. Can't remember any details though :)

I have reduced it considerably but have not eliminated it yet. Swapping out the zeners definitely had an impact. I have made a lot of progress but I consider this unit unfinished as of yet.

There a few things to do in addition to more zener swapping, e.g., adjust my meter shunt resistors slightly (needles should be bang in the middle/vertical for an unmodded version with original hold control), review all published voltages (there are quite a few on the schematic) against my voltages and compare, also look into the AOT resistors and distortion patterns a bit more critically.

However, taking a break from electronics at the moment, spare time is currently allocated to other projects (e.g. practicing to get a recently composed finger picking piece to performance level proficiency, building a parlour guitar form and managing my little private viticultural research project (it is spring here)).

I will get back to it anon.

Latest posts

Back